Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123
Richard's Trumpeter SA-8 'Gecko' Build Diary Options
richmal
#41 Posted : 20 December 2015 20:32:03

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Another week goes by with a little more work on the hull. In this case I have turned my attention to the finalisation of the suspension and wheels.

The first parts to tackle were the wheels and wheel hubs. Being of the rubberised types of wheel they can be awkward to accept paints of most descriptions since paint adhesion is a bit of a problem. The hubs are best fitted before any paint is added since attempting to add the hub after painting tends to flake off the paint (using acrylics).

This is my way of dealing with such wheels.
richmal
#42 Posted : 20 December 2015 20:33:05

richmal attached the following image(s):
032 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
richmal
#43 Posted : 20 December 2015 20:47:00

Having completed all the wheels it was time to fit them to the suspension. Wanting the front and rear wheels turned I went through the following process to achieve this.

1. The front and rear suspension units had not been fixed as previously shown.

2. Deciding on the amount of steerage required I cemented one of the wheel hubs in the position I required.

3. After forming a simple jig with parallel ends from plastic card it was placed between the fixed hub and it's opposing hub.

4. Once lined up the opposing hub was cemented in place.

5. The jig was now used on the second set of axles/hubs.

6. The steering arms (parts D44) left off at stage 4 of the instructions were now cemented in place.

7. The wheel arches and inner suspension units are now given a dirty wash of well watered down flat earth colour.

8. Finally I cemented the wheels/hubs onto their corresponding suspenion units.

Photographs show the jig and final look of the suspension.
033 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
034 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
ModelMania
#44 Posted : 20 December 2015 21:59:57

Groups:

Nice work Richard, the angled wheels look spot on and a nice little explanation of your weathering process on the wheels and tyres - well done!! Cool Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Gandale
#45 Posted : 21 December 2015 00:48:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks great Richard, some fab work being displayed....Cool Cool .. Well done...

Regards

Alan
richmal
#46 Posted : 23 December 2015 16:52:47

In post #18 I looked at the lighting of the interior focusing on fitting the LEDs to the inside of the controllers cabin. I had already studied the model to find a path for the wiring and decided that the Radar Array platform was large enough to hold the light switch and coin battery + holder. The backplate of the platform looked as though it could be used as an access hatch and it was just a matter of how to hold the backplate in position without cementing it.
Due to the shape of the rear of the platform I was able to build a tray of plastic card which would sit on the bottom inner of the platform. A second piece of card was cemented onto the backplate at the same angle as the upper inner of the platform. This provides a semi sprung locking piece which holds the backplate in position almost perfectly.

The photos below show the finished article and how well it fits together.
035 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
036 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
037 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
davetwin
#47 Posted : 23 December 2015 22:56:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You can't tell in the picture that the back plate is removable at all, great work I love it ThumpUp ThumpUp
richmal
#48 Posted : 24 December 2015 21:22:46

Almost there. Just a few more steps o completion.

Before adding the small pieces of shovel, crowbar, tail lights, Wing mirrors, tow rope, antenna, crew hatch, windscreen wipers and tow rope I gave the model two coats of green acrylic paint for a bit of modulation..

Over the base colour of Russian Dark Base (A.MIG-931)I sprayed most areas with a layer of Zashchitniy Zeleno (A.MIG-083). The second coating of Russian Base (A>MIG-932) was sprayed from above to lighten the areas most likely to be faded by weather. This is very subtle light modulation and will be difficult to pick up in photographs.

The final part was to use a light road/track dusting effect, using a dry watercolour pencil, around the wheel arches and lower raised detail. Once I start a light dusting spray of flat earth colour it should difuse the edges of the water colour paint.

Lighting is pretty harsh in the next couple of photos.
040 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
041 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
richmal
#49 Posted : 24 December 2015 21:25:15

The small parts have now been painted and cemented into position before any decals are added and a final spray of light dusting begins.
038 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
039 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
stevie_o
#50 Posted : 24 December 2015 21:32:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

richmal
#51 Posted : 24 December 2015 21:40:22

Thanks Stevie-o. It's taken time due to work commitments but I have enjoyed the build. There will be a second one coming along sometime this year but will be finished as a Red Square Parade vehicle.
richmal
#52 Posted : 26 December 2015 10:56:10

After a trawl of the net I found only one photo reference of an SA-8 Gecko with it's unit number along the side and that was a Soviet Afghanistan war veteran so I will not be using any decals on the exterior.
ModelMania
#53 Posted : 26 December 2015 10:59:11

Groups:

Very nice work Richard, an impressive looking model and I'm sure it'll look even better when you've done the weathering - well done!! Cool ThumpUp

Kev
richmal
#54 Posted : 26 December 2015 16:00:06

Here we are Gentlemen It was Xmas day and I had the finished article. To anyone looking for paint chips, serious fading effects, bathfulls of mud and or a zillion rust streaks, I apologize. I don't do them. I tend to go along the path of my experience during the Cold War in armour. In most cases vehicles moving over roads & normal countryside don't tend to get covered in mud. It is only on the training areas where this generally occurs. Rust only occurs if you have a very lax command structure or vehicles are in storage. The number of times vehicles are painted during the year generally precludes too much fading. I could do chipping but never quite get it right.

Having explained all that I now show you the finished Soviet SA-8 'Gecko' anti-aircraft system.

I really enjoyed this build regardless of a few errors on the instruction sheet and for those interested in Cold War armour, arty and AA I would recommend it.
042 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
043 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
045 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
046 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
044 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
047 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
arpurchase
#55 Posted : 26 December 2015 19:48:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Avery nice result and great workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#56 Posted : 26 December 2015 23:03:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

thats a damn fine looking finish, fantastic job ThumpUp ThumpUp