Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages 123>»
Dave's Lamborghini Countach Build Options
DaveSea
#1 Posted : 29 November 2015 03:23:10

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum so please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Dave and I live in the beautiful Seattle, Washington. I’ve been making models for 30+ years, since I was 7-8 years old. For many years I’ve been assembling plastic models, mostly aircraft, ships, a few tanks and HO scale houses. Growing up in the former USSR didn’t give me too many options; there were maybe three dozen various domestically produced models with very few imports, mostly from Eastern Germany.

I emigrated to the USA as a teenager in the late 1980s when USSR had started to fall apart… a timely move on the part of my family. I continued building models while finishing up high school and then after college. After getting married and having two kids I had to take a break from modeling and for many years haven’t really done much. When the kids grew up a bit and I had more time (and space), I did build a few multimedia (mostly wood/metal) dioramas: a British sailing ship’s gun deck, a Spanish sailboat workshop, and an English 1960s farm house with an illegal moonshine still (my largest model by far, abt. 2.5 x 2 x 1.5 feet), I’ll try to post some pics later. I also build several older Pocher models and a Tamiya’s Super Seven Caterham, all later sold to collector.

I’ve discovered DeAgostini Model Space and partworks in general just about a year ago and fell in love with the quality of models (and being able to buy them in installments is also very nice!). I am currently building the three bikes (Suzuki Hayabusa, HD Fat Boy & Honda CB750) and just started on Wolf’s Lamborghini Countach a couple of months ago).

In this thread I will do my best to show my progress on this superb model.
Completed Building Walter Wolf's Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa, Honda CB750.
Planning to Build Easy Rider Bike, Valentino Rossi's Yamaha YZR-M1
DaveSea
#2 Posted : 29 November 2015 05:43:23

Stage 01. The rear wing had some shallow scratches on its upper surface, probably from rubbing against the blister pack. So I polished it up using Micro Abrasive Finishing Pads (I bought a set of these very useful foam-backed mini pads produced by Alpha Precision Abrasives of Canada for $10 at Hobby Lobby), progressively using 4000, 6000 & 12000 grit and it a final rub with a carnauba wax compound purchased at a local auto parts & supplies store. I plan to use the same technique on any other die cast external parts to give the model that showroom shine!

Reay wing stay close up picture in the lower right corner on page 9 of the instructions shows that there are four Phillips head flush screws. On the model’s wing stays they are represented by raised black dots. First I just touched them up with silver paint but still didn’t like the results. So I drilled out small holes using a miniature drill bit (diameter 0.8 mm ~ 1/32 in) and screwed it tiny Phillips screws. There is an excellent set of 250 eyeglass & watch miniature screws on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/SE...volving/dp/B004VSMEZ6/. A superb deal for just $6; there are many screws of various sizes, both Phillips and regular. Please see picture below for the result. However, the smallest Philips screws in the set have head diameter of abt. 1.5 mm (~1/16 in), a bit too large for scale. So I may redo the wing stays using even smaller screws (albeit with regular (slotted) heads) used for watch backs. I’ve ordered replacement wing stays from Model Space (they are very nice and helpful!) and will post the results when done. I think only the inside surfaces of the wing stays have these screws, at least I couldn’t see them on the car picture on pp. 10-11. Does anyone have by chance a close up picture of the outer surface of the wing stays? I couldn’t find any online. Another thing I plan to do is a Veloce decal in the middle of the rear wing’s back surface; for some reason it wasn’t included in the set (unless it comes in later packs?). In any case, I found a good blow up of this decal and will make my own decal sheet.
DaveSea attached the following image(s):
Rear Wing (1).jpg
Rear Wing (2).jpg
Wing Stays.jpg
Completed Building Walter Wolf's Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa, Honda CB750.
DaveSea
#3 Posted : 29 November 2015 06:06:52

Stage 02. The hood (bonnet to our British friends) was perfect, no scratches, so I just gave it a quick polish with carnauba wax compound.

The tire is superbly cast! After cleaning them thoroughly with soap & water using an old toothbrush I gave a spray of ArmorAll Extreme Tire Shine and buffed it with a lint-free cloth. Now it looks like it just came out of a detailing shop!
Tire (1).jpg
Tire (2).jpg
DaveSea
#4 Posted : 29 November 2015 06:18:23

Stage 03. In actual car pictures space between two middle camshaft covers appears to be black rather than polished silver. So I masked the sides of cylinder head assembly with tape and painted the middle trough with several layers of semi-gloss black paint; I used a small paint brush to give it a more rough surface. The picture on p. 19 shows that the middle trough also has squares with circles in the middle which I scribed using a needle. I will show a picture later because I didn’t take separate pictures of engine assembly.
DaveSea
#5 Posted : 29 November 2015 06:26:59

Pack 02.

Stage 04. It was quite straightforward, no special detailing. I did dip fog lamp lenses in Johnson Wax Pledge Floor Care Multi Surface Finish (formerly Future Floor Polish) and let them air dry for 24 hours. The self-leveling coating imparted by this amazing product so beloved by model builders make them look more glass-like.

Stage 05. Same treatment of tire as it Stage 02.

Stage 06. Front spoiler - straightforward assembly, no special detailing.

Stage 07. A/C compressor - straightforward assembly, no special detailing.
Tire (3).jpg
Front Spoiler.jpg
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 29 November 2015 07:13:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Dave, BigGrin

Welcome to the Model-Space forum.

That`s a great kit you have chosen. Cool

Nice to see you have started a diary. Should you have any questions, it makes it easier for somebody to assist you with an answer.

Don`t forget you can look at the official build, but there are a lot of like minded builders here who have a great depth of experience that are willing to help.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

DaveSea
#7 Posted : 29 November 2015 07:21:57

Pack 03.

Stage 08. Engine assembly continues apace and it’s looking very nice. I used gold & silver paint to touch up bolts & screws on the carburetor casings to make them match engine pictures (p. 53).

Stage 09. As can be seen on the engine picture on p. 53 (and on p. 19 of the very first instruction booklet) there are some details missing from the model. Here’s what I added.

(1) Using a mini drill bit (diameter 0.8 mm ~ 1/32 in) I drilled six holes in each high-tension leads end block (the brown plastic part), two holes on the front surface and four holes behind each of the four “leads” coming out of the read part of the end block. Then I superglued tiny (abt. 2 mm ~ 1/12 in long) slotted screws from the set I purchased on Amazon (they are so tiny they come in a little plastic thimble, and I lost a couple in the process but fortunately there were plenty spares). Now the end blocks look like the real thing!

(2) I used a thin (00) paint brush and flat black paint to simulate rubber gasket by painting the raised ridge of distributor part B (x 2).

(3) I got rid of all the rubber rings on the high-tension leads and replaced them with rubber grommets 6 mm ~ 1/4 in diameter (a pack of 100 purchased for $10 from http://www.mscdirect.com/, MSC item No. 32828097). They perfectly match HT lead rubber holders as pictured. I also bought a pack of sub miniature Panduit cable ties PLT.6SM-C0 (pack of 100 for $15 from Allied Electronics http://www.alliedelec.co...it-plt-6sm-c0/70043833/). They are very closer in scale to the actual zip ties used in the real car.

(4) The white rings in the HT leads (probably with lead numbers) I’ve cut from a de-cored white iPhone charging cable (abt. $6 on Amazon); once you remove the wire core, you can cut off 2 mm (~1/12 in) wide rings using a sharp X-Acto blade. I think you will need 15 such rings (and make some spares as they are easy to lose).

(5) The red-colored HT lead wrappers were cut from a de-cored red-colored iPhone charging cable, also abt. $6 on Amazon or in electronics stores. I had to experiment with lengths to fit the model’s engine to match pictures. I think I used 9 such pieces of varied length, from abt. 15 mm (2/3 in) to abt. 30 mm (1 1/5 in).

(6) Six rubber gaskets attaching HT lead bundles to camshaft cover bolts were attached to the bolts by abt. 25 mm (1 in) long pieces of flattened (with a file) copper wire extracted from a thin insulated phone wire. I created small loops on one end, superglued the loop under the silver-colored bolts on the camshaft covers, and then bend them (using needle-nose pliers) to fit in the grooves of rubber gaskets. Very finicky work, particularly when fitting six HT leads through the first gaskets as the fit was very tight. I had to watch engine pictures carefully to properly place white rings, zip ties, rubber gaskets and red wrappers on the HT leads.

(7) The protruding parts of camshaft covers are being held in place by small back metal squares with a nut & bolt (see p. 53, near the left HT lead bundle where it touches the camshaft covers). I used two small rectangular metal contacts (with pre-drilled holes which I had to expand just a bit using a round jeweler’s file) from a disassembled old kid’s rotary toothbrush and painted them black. I inserted into the holes spare bracket bolts from stage 06 and superglued these assemblies in place on the two leftmost and two rightmost camshaft covers, in proper places as per pictures.

8) A long bent bracket attaching to the first inside bolt of the left middle camshaft cover was made from an elongated contact from the same toothbrush; I drilled a small hole in one end to fit the simulated bolt head and painted the bracket black. Then superglued it to the camshaft cover and inserted the bolt head.

After a couple of hours of painstaking work the top part of the engine has now taken shape, and the results are quite a bit better than stock assembly!

I’ll be happy to answer any questions if you’d like to replicate these results.

Stage 10. Assembled and attached A/C compressor. The top part of the engine is now complete!

Engine (1).jpg
Engine (2).jpg
Engine (4).jpg
Engine (3).jpg
arpurchase
#8 Posted : 29 November 2015 10:21:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome to the forum Dave and enjoy your builds. You have made a great start with this oneCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#9 Posted : 29 November 2015 12:08:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum Dave

You've certainly picked a fantastic model and looks like you've got off to a great start BigGrin loving all the mods you are doing, look forward to seeing more Cool
greyhawk
#10 Posted : 29 November 2015 14:30:57

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

stevie_o
#11 Posted : 29 November 2015 17:56:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

DaveSea
#12 Posted : 29 November 2015 20:04:08

Thanks everyone for a warm welcome! There are a lot of excellent builds here and I look forward to sharing mine.

Does anyone have by chance good close up pictures of both sides of the rear wing stays (on the actual WW's Lambo)? This would help tremendously with doing proper mods to them. Thanks very much!
delboy271155
#13 Posted : 29 November 2015 23:52:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

That engine looks stunning, Cool Cool .

Great work and congratulations on your "Blue Medal".

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

DaveSea
#14 Posted : 30 November 2015 03:16:50

Thanks guys! Working on the exhaust parts now. Also ordered photo etched hose clamps from a seller in Belgium, should be arriving soon. Not sure I'll add ALL of the clamps but at least a few.
ModelMania
#15 Posted : 30 November 2015 14:48:16

Groups:

Very nice work on the engine Dave, all very neat and tidy - well done!! Cool Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
DaveSea
#16 Posted : 01 December 2015 07:26:36

Thanks, Kev! Pack 4 is on the way, should be updating soon!

BTW, wasn't Battle of the Bulge in December 1944 rather than 1945? BigGrin
DaveSea
#17 Posted : 18 December 2015 05:08:13

With little time remaining before the holidays and all attendant family events, Pack 04 arrived just in time.

Stage 11. I used the wiring diagram and pictures of the actual engine to complete HT lead placement, along with micro zip ties, 1/8” rubber gaskets and pieces of white & red de-cored iPhone charging cables. Blow-by gas hoses A, B & C, although quite flexible, had a very plasticky shine and feel, so painted them with a couple of layers of black-colored Performix Brand Plasti-Dip Multipurpose Rubber Coating (abt. $6 for an 11 oz spray can at a local home improvement store). It can be sprayed on or painted on using a soft brush. It dries very fast and gives a real rubber feel and dull look to the parts (can’t see it too well in pictures). I was thinking about using actual 1/8” rubber hoses but couldn’t find any small pieces, only came in large and fairly expensive rolls. But the hoses do look almost as good with the rubber coating. I also added photoetched hose clamps by Autograph (just received a set purchased in eBay) with miniature screws, and the end results looks really good!

Stage 12. Straightforward alternator assembly with no modifications. Now comes the hard part – throttle linkage installation.

The central T-shaped part is painted gold for some reason although all engine pictures of WW’s Countach show that it’s black, so I gave mine a go-over with fine grit sandpaper and painted I with a couple of layers of semi-gloss black by Tamiya.

I also attached Autograph hose clamps (of somewhat smaller width than for blow-back hoses) with 1/6” screws. Slow and painful work, took me more than two hours to install 10 clamps but they do add that extra touch of realism!

Carefully installed the linkage, fortunately nothing broke! The top part of the engine is now complete and looks very good, if I may say so myself BigGrin

Engine (1).jpg
Engine (2).jpg
Engine (3).jpg
Engine (4).jpg
DaveSea
#18 Posted : 18 December 2015 05:10:07

Stage 13. Assembled exhaust pipes without any problems. Cleaned and treated rear tire with ArmorAll Extreme Tire Shine, as before.

Stage 14. I sprayed tailpipes with Mr. Metal Primer as suggested (never used it before, but I like the results), let them dry for 24 hours. Pictures of real tailpipes show that they have a thick layer of black soot/exhaust deposits so I painted the insides of mine (about halfway into the tailpipes from the skewed edge) with a few layers of flat black paint. You can’t see very well in the pictures but they do look like the real thing now.

Installed the tailpipes o the silencers as described, and applied decals. They went on very well although I had to wet them a couple of times to make sure they are in correct positions and symmetrical. A spray coat of clear lacquer sealed them decals. You can see the results in pictures below.

Pack 05 will be forthcoming in January, so taking a holiday break! Happy holidays everyone, and thanks for your support & comments!
Tailpipe.jpg
Exhaust System (1).jpg
Exhaust System (2).jpg
Exhaust System (3).jpg
davetwin
#19 Posted : 18 December 2015 11:56:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work Dave, happy holidays to you today Cool
TheFlyingCouch
#20 Posted : 18 December 2015 17:49:18

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looks fantastic have a great Christmas

Regards
Jon