Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages <1234>»
Dave's Lamborghini Countach Build Options
DaveSea
#21 Posted : 27 January 2016 04:56:39

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Holidays came and went, so back to the drawing board!

Pack 05. The pamphlet had a very close-up of the alternator assembly on p. 87 so using it and a couple more photos found online I made some improvements using bits of wire, miniature nuts & bolts, paint and a small white sticker. As you can see in the picture below, it now looks much better than stock. Also added a few more improvements to the top part of the engine.
Completed Building Walter Wolf's Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa, Honda CB750.
Planning to Build Easy Rider Bike, Valentino Rossi's Yamaha YZR-M1
DaveSea
#22 Posted : 27 January 2016 05:00:37

2016. Holidays came and went, so back to the drawing board!

Pack 05. The pamphlet had a very close-up of the alternator assembly on p. 87 so using it and a couple more photos found online I made some improvements using bits of wire, miniature nuts & bolts, paint and a small white sticker. As you can see in the picture below, it now looks much better than stock. Also added a few more improvements to the top part of the engine.
DaveSea attached the following image(s):
Lambo 05 (3).jpg
Lambo 05 (4).jpg
Lambo 05 (5).jpg
Completed Building Walter Wolf's Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa, Honda CB750.
DaveSea
#23 Posted : 27 January 2016 05:04:14

Stage 17 engine block assembly went without a hitch, just following the instructions.

Pack 06 will be arriving soon, so more posts to follow!
Lambo 05 (1).jpg
Lambo 05 (2).jpg
ModelMania
#24 Posted : 27 January 2016 08:46:52

Groups:

Hello Dave,

Somehow I've managed to miss the recent build diary updates from you, but finally caught up now and I have to say very well done on what is a superb build with some stunning upgrades to your model!! I love the extra work you've done on the alternator, much more realism added there, and that engine looks fantastic, like it'll almost start and run!!

Well done sir, I'll be looking out for this build from now on and following all the way!! Drool Cool ThumpUp

P.S. - By the way, thanks for the heads up in your post #16 about my signature error, the Battle of the Bulge did indeed take place in 1944 not 1945 as I had incorrectly stated (don't know why I did that, just a typo error)!! Huh Blink Confused

All corrected now though, so thanks for pointing that out. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
davetwin
#25 Posted : 27 January 2016 16:32:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice mod on the alternator ThumpUp
Nemesis
#26 Posted : 27 January 2016 16:38:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice indeed, also tempted by this!!BigGrin BigGrin
stevie_o
#27 Posted : 27 January 2016 20:49:41

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

arpurchase
#28 Posted : 27 January 2016 21:00:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nicely done there and some nice modsCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

DaveSea
#29 Posted : 01 February 2016 20:33:16

Hello everyone, thanks for your kind comments! I do love the model and it comes out nicely. I decided to replace plastic hoses, found some real nice 1/8" natural rubber black tubing for just a few dollars, so will replace those when they come. Right now with rubberized paint it doesn't look too shabby but with real rubber tubing it will look even better.

Looking forward to the interior package arriving soon. Looks very nice but maybe there's some room for detailing, like drilling holes in the speaker grills....

Gentlemen, I have a question to ask. I am very envious of the Ford Shelby Mustang model DeAgostini publishes for the UK market https://www.deagostini.c...ns/buildshelbymustang/. Our US office doesn't know when or if it all will be sold in the USA. I was wondering if one of you might be willing to subscribe for me and ship the issues to me every few (3-4) months in a box. Of course, I will reimburse for all subscription & extra shipping costs & maybe something extra for your troubles. Please let me know if anyone would be willing to consider this...
DaveSea
#30 Posted : 01 February 2016 20:36:37

FOR KEV: I thought maybe it was some "alternate future" Battle of the Bulge BigGrin . Ever read Philip K. Dick's "The Man in the High Castle"? Amazon now has a great streaming show based on the book. But anyway thanks for paying attention to my comment!
Gandale
#31 Posted : 01 February 2016 23:48:43

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely work Dave, the extra work you're putting in looks fab.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
ModelMania
#32 Posted : 02 February 2016 10:54:41

Groups:

DaveSea wrote:

FOR KEV: I thought maybe it was some "alternate future" Battle of the Bulge BigGrin . Ever read Philip K. dancer's "The Man in the High Castle"? Amazon now has a great streaming show based on the book. But anyway thanks for paying attention to my comment!

Hello Dave,

HaHa!! Unfortunately not, it was just a result of either a slip of the finger or a tired memory - or a mix of both?! Blushing BigGrin

I haven't read "The Man in the High Castle", but I have heard of it and it seems an interesting concept and completely plausible as well - I believe there was a TV series based on the book as well? Would that be the series that Amazon is currently streaming? The story is possibly a little confusing, given that it is a novel based around an alternative outcome to WWII which also has a "novel within a novel" in which the actual outcome, as we know it, is portrayed as an entirely fictional alternative within the story which is in reality ... fictional?

Phew!! That was confusing enough in itself?! Huh Confused Blink BigGrin

I may track down a copy anyway and give it a read as it still sounds interesting? I have read something similar called "If Britain Had Fallen" by Norman Longmate in which the first part of the book is based on truth and reality, detailing the German preparations for the invasion of Britain and our own defence plans and strategies against that? The book then moves into an alternative history whereby "Operation Sea Lion" DID take place and Germany successfully invaded Britain, and looks at what it would have been like with Germany in control of our nation, Sir Winston Churchill having fled into exile!? A very interesting read, very well written and again completely plausible?! Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile

birdaj2
#33 Posted : 02 February 2016 12:52:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking great and still amazed by how detailed these models are.

Your close up pictures make the parts look like the real thing.

Hope the rest of the build goes well.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
DaveSea
#34 Posted : 03 February 2016 04:50:41

Kev, "The Man In the High Castle" TV series was actually produced by Amazon, they seem to get into everything now BigGrin It uses the same basic premise as the book but there are significant deviations. IN the book, you are right, there are excerpts from an "alternate alternate history" novel but in the movie it's actually film reels showing the Allies winning the war rather than the Germans & the Japanese. Anyway, both are interesting in their own way. Would be happy to email you an eBook version (MOBI format, or can convert to ePub for you). I'll check out the book you mentioned.

Model wise, a couple of new pics will be posted soon, doing some final modifications to the top part of the engine.
DaveSea
#35 Posted : 08 February 2016 04:06:59

I decided to make some final improvements to the top part of the engine.

(1) Installed springs/coils on the rear parts of throttle linkages using a strand of steel wire from a multistrand frame hanging wire; it seemed ideally to scale (see picture below; the springs are outlined in yellow). Made about 20 wraps around the throttle pipe using a pair of tweezers, and superlued the ends. Looks very nice!

(2) Replaced plastic blow-by gas hoses A & B with black natural rubber tubing 1/8” (3 mm) in diameter. Added photo-etched hose clamps for added realism. Now they look much more realistic!

DaveSea
#36 Posted : 08 February 2016 04:08:02

I decided to make some final improvements to the top part of the engine.

(1) Installed springs/coils on the rear parts of throttle linkages using a strand of steel wire from a multi-strand frame hanging wire; it seemed ideally to scale (see picture below; the springs are outlined in yellow). Made about 20 wraps around the throttle pipe using a pair of tweezers, and superglued the ends. Looks very nice!

(2) Replaced plastic blow-by gas hoses A & B with black natural rubber tubing 1/8” (3 mm) in diameter. Added photo-etched hose clamps for added realism. Now they look much more realistic!

LC (5).jpg
LC (6).jpg
DaveSea
#37 Posted : 08 February 2016 04:09:28

Meantime pack 06 had arrived so I continued engine assembly as per stage 18. Everything went very smoothly thanks to excellent instructions and high quality of the parts; no fitting problems whatsoever. The engine is now complete, and I am quite pleased with the results! Much improved over the stock assembly; you can appreciate it from the pictures below.
LC (8).jpg
LC (9).jpg
LC (10).jpg
LC (11).jpg
LC (7).jpg
DaveSea
#38 Posted : 08 February 2016 04:12:19

Stage 19. Assembled rear window panel, mostly without problems, but did lose in the carpet a couple of C clips holding seat belt loops in place. Thank DeAgostini for extra C clips!

Center console is superbly molded, even with all the tiny inscriptions! With not much room for improvement, I only drilled out the cigarette lighter holder, painted in silver inside and semi-gloss black on the outside. Installed heating vents, ashtray recess and footguard without problems.

Stage 20. Installed center console into the cockpit floor. Following the instructions helped to eliminate gaps and ensure a tight fit.

Since original center console is covered in leather, I gave it an extra polish with carnauba wax compound from the auto store to simulate that showroom shine. Same with the rear window panel and bucket seats. Instructions recommended spraying the seat with gloss lacquer but I found that giving them a polish with carnauba wax compound makes for more realistic looking results.

Installed handbrake and footrest, and this stage of the cockpit is now completed!
LC (15).jpg
LC (12).jpg
LC (13).jpg
LC (14).jpg
LC (4).jpg
DaveSea
#39 Posted : 08 February 2016 04:14:52

I also requested replacement rear wing stays from DeAgostini (their customer service is superb) and installed them instead of the ones I modified using miniature screws (see my post #2). The screw heads were just too large and I couldn’t find any smaller ones. So I just touched up the small protrusions on the wing stays with silver paint, one side at a time, and now they look more realistic. Rear wing also got another round of polish using Novus plastic polish kit and a final rubbing of carnauba wax compound. Now it has a mirror-like finish!
LC (2).jpg
LC (1).jpg
LC (3).jpg
davetwin
#40 Posted : 08 February 2016 14:39:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really nice job with the extra detailing Dave and that wing does look nice and shiney BigGrin Drool Cool