Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages <12345>»
Dave's Lamborghini Countach Build Options
DaveSea
#41 Posted : 06 March 2016 20:54:40

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Pack 07 was rather simple so assembly didn’t take long.

First though I decided to improve on the footguard from the previous pack. I didn’t like the look of I, too glassy, so I covered it with chrome Bare-Metal Foil, drilled two holes and inserted satin pins on superglue to replicate attachment screws. Looks much better now.
DaveSea attached the following image(s):
LC (2).jpg
Completed Building Walter Wolf's Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa, Honda CB750.
Planning to Build Easy Rider Bike, Valentino Rossi's Yamaha YZR-M1
DaveSea
#42 Posted : 06 March 2016 20:56:39

Stage 21. Several people on this forum had good success with using water-soluble paint or markers to highlight speaker grill perforations. I decided to go a step further and drill them out. After drilling a couple of holes and breaking a 0.4 mm (1/64 inch) drill bit, I figured out that I don’t need all the way through the plastic and just deepen the indentations a bit. The broken-off piece of drill bit in a manual pin wise worked well and I was able to finish each grill (over 120 indentations) in about 20 minutes. Then I used a black marker to deepen the shadows and installed the sills after giving them a buff with carnauba wax automotive compound. Looks quite convincing!

Installed the rear window assembly, and now eagerly awaiting the next pack.
LC (3).jpg
LC (4).jpg
LC (6).jpg
LC (5).jpg
Completed Building Walter Wolf's Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa, Honda CB750.
DaveSea
#43 Posted : 06 March 2016 20:58:01

Stage 22. Washed the front tire and buffed it up with ArmorAll Extreme Tire Shine, as before. Gave the same treatment to the spare tire.

Stages 23, 24. Installed the bonnet lock and A/C dryer filter; assembled and installed the spare tire.

I found a couple of good pictures of the inside of the spare tire compartment so I plan to add a few more details (in particular, extra wiring) during the next stages.

More to follow soon!

LC (1).jpg
LC (7).jpg
LC (8).jpg
birdaj2
#44 Posted : 06 March 2016 21:56:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice looking parts in this kit. Hope you are getting lots of fun building this one.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
DaveSea
#45 Posted : 08 March 2016 21:00:51

Sure do, Tony. It's one of the best car kits around.

Thanks for looking!
magpie1832
#46 Posted : 08 March 2016 23:29:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Doing a great job. My favourite child hood car. Might look at this soon.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

DaveSea
#47 Posted : 23 March 2016 05:45:10

While awaiting for Pack 08 to arrive, I’ve decided to do a couple of minor improvements (idle hands… and so on ).

1) I was still not happy with the footguard, so I used the kit-supplied piece as a template and cut a piece of polished tin from the bottom of a sardine can. I filed down heads of four satin pins to make them more to scale, drilled four corner holes in the footguard and plastic console behind it, and attached the footguard and pinheads with a bit if multipurpose glue. Looks so much nice now, almost like the real thing!
LC (7).jpg
DaveSea
#48 Posted : 23 March 2016 05:48:55

2) My kit-supplied rear window was quite a bit scratched; the transparent plastic is so soft, even rubbing it against the coarse PE kit bag creates shallow scratches; they should have put protective film over it. I tried to polish it using Novus No. 2 & 1 polishing products and covering with Johnson Wax Pledge Floor Care Multi Surface Finish (formerly Future Floor Polish) but the results weren’t very good.

So I removed the kit rear window completely and used it as a template to cut off a piece of 1/8” thick Lexan sheet. It has much better transparency and came covered with protective film on both sides. I drilled holes for the screws and attached the piece to the rear window assembly. I also cut of cylindrical knobs in the center of the assembly as they are extraneous; the screws hold my newly cut window nice & tight against the frame.
LC (2).jpg
LC (1).jpg
LC (3).jpg
LC (4).jpg
LC (5).jpg
DaveSea
#49 Posted : 23 March 2016 05:51:01

The original window also had a small decal in an upper corner (VECRIS and a serial number). So I also created a small decal in Paintbrush program and printed it (on a color inkjet printer) on Testors clear film decal sheet, and sealed it with Testors decal bonder spray. After it dried, I cut it out using manicure scissors, wet it and attached it to the rear window. It’s not a good as the original, but not bad. The letters are so small, you can see them well only with a magnifying glass anyway.

See pictures above. The rear window looks a bit hazy because I left a piece of protective film in place to prevent it from accidental scratches.
DaveSea
#50 Posted : 23 March 2016 05:51:27

3) Pictures of the actual car show that there is a decal on the rear edge of the rear wing saying “Automobili Veloce” (I guess “Speed Cars” in Italian) and a narrow Italian flag over the word “Automobili”. So I recreated this sticker in Paintbrush and printed it on Testors white film decal sheet. The sticker is abt. 1/2” long and 1/8” wide in scale.

I cut out and attached the decal to the rear wing and after it dried, I carefully brushed on with 00 brush some Testors dull coat lacquer. You can’t see it very clearly in the picture below but it does look good!

Pack 08 will be arriving in about a week; there will be some custom modifications!

LC (6).jpg
delboy271155
#51 Posted : 23 March 2016 06:34:13

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Nicely done Dave.

Like the attention to extra detail. Cool

Keep it going, it`s looking good.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#52 Posted : 23 March 2016 20:55:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nicely doneCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

DaveSea
#53 Posted : 26 March 2016 05:12:21

Thanks guys!

Derek, very impressed by your ship models. Never had a chance to build a full wooden ship (keep hoping though) but I did build a couple of naval dioramas (a battleship gundeck and a Mediterranean boat shop, see pics. below. It's been a while, though...
Diorama - Battleship Second Gun Deck 1.JPG
Diorama - Mediterranean Shipyard 2.JPG
Gandale
#54 Posted : 26 March 2016 10:38:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Excellent work Dave, love the dio's.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#55 Posted : 26 March 2016 22:53:00

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Dave, BigGrin

Thanks for comments. Cool

The second gun deck model you`ve shown, is one I have built the frame for and is a great kit for detail. Feel free to post some pics of it in the finished build gallery, along with the workshop dio. (Not seen anything like that before)

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Should you wish to take on a large ship build, then there is always people here to help you along the way, but the big ships are a long term project.

Smaller ones are available if you want to try something different.

Something for you to think about in the future maybe.BigGrin

Happy building, whichever way your build choices go.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

DaveSea
#56 Posted : 21 April 2016 03:31:57

While waiting for Pack 08 to arrive, I took time to make some extra mods.

1) Lined fog lamps with Bare-Metal Foil and added silver-plated plastic cylinders to simulate lamps. They now have more realistic look; you can see how well they reflect light now.
LC (1).jpg
LC (2).jpg
DaveSea
#57 Posted : 21 April 2016 03:33:02

2) Made an oil stick assembly (conspicuously missing from the kit) from a piece of a Q-tip plastic stem, heat-shrink tubing, a plastic plug and a metal pin. Installed it into the engine assembly.
LC (3).jpg
LC (4).jpg
LC (5).jpg
LC (6).jpg
DaveSea
#58 Posted : 21 April 2016 03:34:34

3) Disassembled the front part of the engine, painted oil casing chrome silver and dry-brushed, added extra details with tubing, photoetched hose clamps, and miniature screws. Looks much better now.
LC (7).jpg
LC (8).jpg
LC (9).jpg
DaveSea
#59 Posted : 21 April 2016 03:36:56

Pack 08. Stages 25-27.

1) Added extra details to the bonnet lock using some online photos as reference; cleaned up the lock and painted with brass enamel.

2) Repainted connectors of A/C dehumidifier and condenser hoses to a more realistic worn metal.

3) Cleaned up and repainted brake master cylinder, cut off hoses and replaced with wires (to match metal brake fluid pipes coming out of it in the real car).
LC (10).jpg
LC (11).jpg
LC (12).jpg
DaveSea
#60 Posted : 21 April 2016 03:38:18

4) Added some extra parts on the left side of the front compartment using nuts & bolts, coated wire (for A/C heat-exchange piping), bare wire and wire mesh.

5) There is a thick bundle of wires in the real car which I had simulated with thin coated and uncoated wires and some heat-shrink tubing, and connected into place along the front edge.
LC (13).jpg
LC (14).jpg
LC (15).jpg
LC (17).jpg