Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
San Srancisco II Virgin Builders Blog/ Stress relief Options
spineman
#1 Posted : 05 December 2015 15:10:18

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Folks,
My first build, and also a Blog virgin, will post photos at each progression, and gladly receive all and any advice from anyone!

I am having issues posting pic's. Often there is a tag which when right clicked on the image will appear, will try to resolve over weekend.

Couple of slip ups, major being "READ THE FORUM BEFORE EVEN BUYING"! Which I failed to do, And clamping your ship whilst glue is curing is an absolute necessity. How to remove glue. because a part of the keel laterals was warped after gluing over night, so use them clamps at every stage

ModelSpace » Ship Modeller » San Francisco II » San Francisco II - General discussion

Brushing warm water to the joints, then steam the joints and will eventually enable you to separate the components Pic's showing how far out the lateral framework had twisted on mine. In the region of 18-20 degrees.

On removal & and replacement all is well in the last shipbuilding yard left on the Tyne aka my workshop. Although nothing compares to the quality of the warships built on the Tyne,

My ship (HMS Northumberland F238) was the last but one to leave Swans yards, I worked on her in build, as a Weapons Officer signing off & accepting completed works on behalf of the MOD, the shipyard workers were fantastic, even knowing that once we sailed approx. 60% of the men who sailed her down to Devonport, to hand her over to the RN officially, knew that over half of them would be getting the "brown envelope", as they were driven back to Newcastle a bloody disgrace by the government of the time

Even 20 years down the line I still feel anger & resentment at the way Swans workers were treated.

That's my rant for the weekend!!! Below are pics various will take more as I go, and I won't be ranting every postCursing
spineman attached the following image(s):
twisted lateral Resize.jpg
twisted lateral 2 Resize.jpg
Reclamped & inline true.jpg
reclamped & inline true 2.jpg
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 05 December 2015 20:55:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice start to your DiaryCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#3 Posted : 06 December 2015 00:22:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see a diary start on this one, lovely work and look forward to seeing more of your progress....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
jase
#4 Posted : 06 December 2015 00:43:42

Its a stunning Model enjoy

will be watching how you go

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Martyn Ingram
#5 Posted : 06 December 2015 09:15:53

BigGrin Cracking start to your build James Cool Looking forward to the next update BigGrin

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
spineman
#6 Posted : 06 December 2015 19:49:34

Lazy Saturday evening & Sunday.... with grandkids age 13,8 years old... a possibility... but the third one is 2 years 5 months... I had lazier and less stressful days during the Falklands conflict

In between hide and seek and peek-a-boo I managed to get a coat of brass on my cannons, mounted on improvised rig for a very thin coat second and final coat to follow

Partial completion on Jig, next job on main body is bringing the bow down top size & appropriately curved, you can all have a good laugh when I post the "Wood butchery" which may well occur tomorrowCrying

Tried out a couple of caulking lines ideas using pencil/ different sizes felt markers/ HB pencil then coated them in matt varnish any opinions on those which look most realistic?
Cannons drying.jpg
CaulkingVarnishtest.jpg
Jig Part 1.jpg
Gandale
#7 Posted : 06 December 2015 23:53:54

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Keep the pics coming, very nice progress...Cool Cool .. I tend to lightly sand the edges of the planks to ensure a smooth edge then use permanent black marker. By lightly sanding the edges I find the chances of black ink bleeding into the plank is greatly reduced....Cool Cool .. Hope this helps..

Regards

Alan
spineman
#8 Posted : 07 December 2015 12:32:27

Thanks for the tip Alan
delboy271155
#9 Posted : 07 December 2015 13:18:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi,BigGrin

Very nice start and congrats on your blue medal for starting this diary.

One idea for you to consider. Users search for items throughout the forum and if you amend your diary title to include say "San Fran 2" or something on those lines they will find your work much easier.

Keep up the good work Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

spineman
#10 Posted : 09 December 2015 12:36:28

Now taking wood butchery to a new level as I attempt the required curves to the bow and leading laterals. Very nervous about this, slow and steady is order of the day... stage one:

After 1/2 hour sanding started getting a little slapdash, so decided to have a break and cut a few planks to size & ended up placing a few in:

Now concerned that the "Caulking" may be a little on the heavy side, but welcome any & all comments. Much like other blogs I read I found the cutting and subsequent gluing of the planking quite relaxing,

Finally thanks to all for kind words & suggestions to date
Martyn Ingram
#11 Posted : 09 December 2015 12:44:19

BigGrin Looks good to me James Cool just take your time on sanding the frames and keep checking the flow of the planks Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#12 Posted : 09 December 2015 12:51:36

Lovely work and looking good. It's all too easy to rush the fairing of the frames so you did the right thing by moving onto something else. As Martyn says, simply take your time and frequently check the flow of the planks to ensure you're not removing too much material. Cool Cool .. Look forward to your next update.

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#13 Posted : 09 December 2015 13:50:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fairing the ribs is a long process but is worth the effort when laying planks as they sit nice and flat..
Also if you can infill the bow with balsa and fair it. With it being a bluff bow and the planks being brittle it gives more surface area for the glue and joints.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

spineman
#14 Posted : 12 December 2015 15:49:03

Hi Folks,
Steady progress, as stated before I find the decking process surprisingly therapeutic! Couple of photos, the "caulking" looks overdone in pictures, but nowhere as near as dark in natural light.
Clamping outboard decking.jpg
Overhead Midships-stern.jpg
Stern to bow.jpg
Stern.jpg
Gandale
#15 Posted : 12 December 2015 18:26:16

Looking good, very neat and clean work..Cool Cool .. The caulking doesn't look overdone to me, looks just fine... Very well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#16 Posted : 12 December 2015 18:56:24

BigGrin Very nice work James Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
arpurchase
#17 Posted : 12 December 2015 20:11:08

BigGrin Nicely doneCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

spineman
#18 Posted : 15 December 2015 23:44:55

Hey guys,
Not a lot done again, Man FLU you know... women make such a song and dance about having babies. Shelling peas compared to Man Flu, maybe they will realise in time!Angry
Packed in some of Port & Starboard packing between bow lateral to smooth out the hull for blanking. I am going to post photo's as an atachments, as I am having issues which of the links to use from Photobox, any tips appreciated
1 building up for bo.jpg
2 Bow infill Port side.jpg
3 Starboard side build up.jpg
Bow infill port side 2-3.jpg
Martyn Ingram
#19 Posted : 16 December 2015 07:42:22

BigGrin Hi James funny enough I like deck planking to . Looking good m8 are you going to fill the bow with balsa as it will pay dividends later on Cool Hope you get over the man flu soon

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
spineman
#20 Posted : 16 December 2015 11:41:15

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Hi James funny enough I like deck planking to . Looking good m8 are you going to fill the bow with balsa as it will pay dividends later on Cool Hope you get over the man flu soon

Rgd Martyn

Cheers Martyn
That was something I was debating with myself in my workshop, wife now thinks either
A) I am having an affair via phone, with another boat builder
B) I am losing the plot and will be getting me sectioned

Cheers

James