Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages 123>»
Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line Options
kpnuts
#1 Posted : 27 December 2015 18:08:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all i received this infamous kit as a present from my missus (note from the title I will only be correcting those errors my megre skills and even megerer knowledge will allow) that said as I'm building just a generic ship of the line it will end up being exactly right.

I have today ordered some gold leaf for this kit as it worked so well on the La Reale and the Royal Sovriegn, I have some copper leaf and brass leaf, wish I could find some bronze leaf for the canons (does anyone know how I could colour brass leaf to look like bronze).

I know everyone will be saying get good am blocks and tackle also bin the thread and get some proper stuff, but, the missus has said keep the costs down, also I feel why spend more on am stuff than the kit cost, so will be investing in bees wax and apart from the gold leaf all else will be oob (apart from maybe some scratch building.

the molding is as exquisite as it was on the La Reale.

Ken's the name modeling's the game.
Martyn Ingram
#2 Posted : 27 December 2015 18:14:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Ken that looks a cracking kit Cool . Looking forward to seeing the build Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
davetwin
#3 Posted : 28 December 2015 00:15:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks there is really nice detail moulded into the kit and with the gold leaf you are planning this will be a fun build to follow Cool
Gandale
#4 Posted : 28 December 2015 00:24:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Ken, the Soleil is a ship I love the look of so will be following this one with great interest.... Good luck with the build... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
kpnuts
#5 Posted : 28 December 2015 10:10:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I love the look of her also, on another forum this kit is lambasted as being the worst representation of the soliel ever and the lengths you have to go to, to correct the errors it would be easier to build her from scratch. Well as the title suggests I am going to build it as a generic 17c ship of the line so will only be correcting the glaringly obvious errors(assuming my very meger skill will even go that far) either way if they hadn't called the kit the Soliel Royal apart from the water line being too low she is as is a very good representation of that type of ship, and anyway I like how she looks and am not really that hung up on accuracy.
kpnuts
#6 Posted : 28 December 2015 12:42:49

Can anyone workout my first problem(It's a biggie, wont be able to go far with this at the moment )
You would think I would have learnt with heller by now (check everything, then check it again.

stevie_o
#7 Posted : 28 December 2015 13:23:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Seems you have 2 portsidesBigGrin maybe a little filler and some gentle sanding can fix itLaugh LOL Flapper
Looks like Heller have a problem with parts, I have the Heller Victory in my stash, maybe a good time to take a look inside.

Steve
kpnuts
#8 Posted : 28 December 2015 17:48:35

Hi all well I cant do much more than this(of course when the gold comes will get more done) I really am peed off though, I know from experience it will be weeks before I get the replacement hull half, stuff like this is really frustrating.

Gandale
#9 Posted : 29 December 2015 00:13:52

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hope you get the problem sorted out quickly Ken to allow you to crack on with the build.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
kpnuts
#10 Posted : 05 January 2016 19:17:16

Hi all well the gold leaf has arrived for this but will leave any guilding untill\if the other hull side turns up.

kpnuts
#11 Posted : 20 January 2016 21:14:16

Hi all well the part is coming, so here is 2 nights of guilding run out of gold leaf now, will have to order some more)

birdaj2
#12 Posted : 20 January 2016 21:21:46

Ken

Well glad you have the correct part on route to you.

Must admit i am really surprised how well you have done that guilding on a plastic kit without losing any of the detail. Looks really good.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
davetwin
#13 Posted : 20 January 2016 21:43:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Woah, that's a lot of gold!! You certainly have a knack for it.

Like Tony, I am also surprised and impressed by how all the detail is still showing through so well Cool

I have to admit Ken, I am somewhat envious of you at the moment as you are soldiering on with all these different builds whereas I am currently stuck in a rut due to my current situation of going through splitting up and not getting any building done Crying

On a positive note though, my ex's house purchase should be completing by the end of the month meaning she will be gone leaving me two spare bedrooms to bring my modelling work bench in from the garage, which incidentally is piled full of furniture and other essential purchases ready for her move.

On another positive note, all the money I have been saving from wining and dining her has been used to dramatically increase my stash with some very juicy additions which I will share when I get them inside BigGrin BigGrin

Anyway, enough ramblings from me and sorry for straying slightly off topic, keep up the awesome work Ken BigGrin
Gandale
#14 Posted : 20 January 2016 23:53:30

Gold leaf is certainly impressive Ken, great job, she's looking great...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
kpnuts
#15 Posted : 21 January 2016 00:25:19

Thanks for all the comments, dave sorry for your situation (been there got the T shirt) things will get better (you never know you might meet someone like my missus) (although they're as rare as hens teeth or rocking horse s-+t
kpnuts
#16 Posted : 22 January 2016 22:18:12

here's tonight's update

Plymouth57
#17 Posted : 22 January 2016 22:41:43

Looking beautiful Ken!

It took me ages to figure out what was wrong with your two halves of the hull!Blushing Blushing
It's almost like my DelPrado Victory - with the years in between starting her and then getting the bug again, and with all the remaining issues still in their cellophane wrappings, it wasn't until I unbagged everything that I found I had two quarter galleries from the same side of the hull!Cursing
Far too late to do anything about it then of course. That's why I replaced both with a pair from CMB!Blink
Hope your replacement comes soon and you can get on!BigGrin

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
nightwisher
#18 Posted : 22 January 2016 23:51:41

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The gold leaf looks fantastic,off to a great start. Don't know how your kit got past quality control with that hull.
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
Gandale
#19 Posted : 23 January 2016 00:10:55

Very impressive work on the decoration ending in a fab result.... Drool Drool Drool .. Look forward to your next update...

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#20 Posted : 23 January 2016 10:46:52

The blue and gold certainly does look really nice and i can see this will turn into a very nice model when complete.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach