Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages «<45678>
Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line Options
kpnuts
#101 Posted : 09 May 2016 16:54:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all before I came on my hols I made an attempt at rigging the mast that comes off the bowsprit (don't know what it's called, the fore fore mast?) Anyway the instructions are to all intents and purposes useless, I can see this ending up a real mess, maybe I should forget the rigging, although it would be a shame.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
Plymouth57
#102 Posted : 09 May 2016 20:37:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Ken

When you get back have a look at http://www.modelships.de/Prince_II/gIMG_6865.jpg I know this is the English HMS Prince (didn't Airfix do a plastic Prince?) but I would imagine the basic rigging would be very similar (if you can call that mass of blocks 'basic'!)

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
kpnuts
#103 Posted : 20 May 2016 20:33:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi all well still on this, not much to show, I seem to have lost any skill I had, this is looking so shabby, showed so much potential when I started it, I thought the wood effect was great (I know bit big headed but I did think it was a good effect) seems to have gone down hill since then, sorry.

kpnuts
#104 Posted : 18 June 2016 21:32:12

Hi all a tiny update really just to show I'm still on this (I know it's not great but I figure I can remove all the gold and redo it, if and when my mojo returns.

Plymouth57
#105 Posted : 18 June 2016 22:37:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

If I had a golden stern like that Ken (on a ship I mean!) I certainly wouldn't take it off and start again - it looks perfect and to scale. Don't forget back in the 17th century the gold leaf would soon lose its sparkle in the salty sea air, they were forever re-coating it during refits and Royal visits!

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Gandale
#106 Posted : 18 June 2016 22:50:09

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Ken, have to agree with Robin here. I don't see any reason at all for you to re-do the gold leaf, I think the effect you have is spot on....

Regards

Alan
kpnuts
#107 Posted : 19 June 2016 08:07:24

Thanks guys, I'm not at all confident in my modeling skills of late and comments like that are very helpful. I just seem to be ruining more kits of late than anything, I don't think since the start of this year I've not messed up every kit I've started, I mean I broke and had to repair the Thermopylae 3 times so far.
ian smith
#108 Posted : 19 June 2016 21:28:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Ken.
I agree with Robin and Alan she looks really great.
Keep the pictures coming.
Ian.
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Gibbo
#109 Posted : 19 June 2016 22:49:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Ken
Stop beating yourself up mate, it looks good to me, i'd be proud of that, looking forward to seeing more.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
kpnuts
#110 Posted : 19 July 2016 17:24:22

Hi all well since I've finished the 32 ford I'm tentatively back on this, the first thing I noticed(which when I put it away I didn't was the jib was quite a bit off centre, no amount of gentle twisting would straighten it so I bit my lip and cut it off.

The guilding on the top rails was rubbish so that's been given another go, still not happy with it but will live with it for now also added a bit more deck furniture.

Removed some of the wash from the transom sort of better we will just have to see how I feel after I've lived with it for a while, I may still strip it, I'm feeling better about it anyway.
Gandale
#111 Posted : 19 July 2016 22:24:36

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

She's coming along nicely Ken, your persistence is paying off. Well done and keep the pics coming...

Regards

Alan

kpnuts
#112 Posted : 23 July 2016 20:48:11

Hi all here is another little update, that mast is not glued in yet just positioned to see the effect, I've seen where people do the ratlines on the upper masts before atattching the mast, to me it looks easier than having to try it whilst attached to the ship.

Gandale
#113 Posted : 23 July 2016 23:38:35

You're making nice progress Ken, keep the pics coming....

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#114 Posted : 24 July 2016 00:04:54

Nice work Ken. You've done a great job. Look forward to more pics.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Tomick
#115 Posted : 24 July 2016 09:25:29

Groups:

For a plastic period ship kit, it seems to be an incredibly detailed, which from what I understand is as close the the real ship you can get!
kpnuts
#116 Posted : 29 July 2016 21:55:21

Hi all well this is certainly leagues more complex and detailed than any ship I've built not sure I'm upto rigging this, for instance all the pulleys attached it the mast and crows nest, I've barely started on this one mast, I take my hat off to anyone tackling this complex a rigging not sure I will stick the course, I've not found an easy way to tie the pulleys. The 4von this mast took 2 hours and a lot of swearing.

Plymouth57
#117 Posted : 29 July 2016 22:49:57

Looking great Ken and coming on a treat! Since it's a plastic kit, if you're having problems tying the pulley blocks on you could try drilling a small hole into the top of them, super gluing a thin brass wire into the hole, leaving a few mm sticking out and then drill a corresponding hole into the underside of the platform (or wherever they go) and glue the end of the wire into that. It should be stable enough to thread the rigging through and any brass wire showing can be painted to look like rope.

Best of luck with her!

Robin.
magpie1832
#118 Posted : 30 July 2016 01:15:46

Your doing a great job Ken. You would know it was a plastic kit. Top Job.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

kpnuts
#119 Posted : 30 July 2016 09:13:56

Robin that is a really nifty idea, I may give that a go thanks mate.
kpnuts
#120 Posted : 09 August 2016 20:41:15

Hi all, the rest of the cannons are fully visible so I've decided to try and detail them a bit more, there is no wood grain moulded in the plastic sides so I've scratched some lightly with my knife and tried painting and using pastels to get an wood effect, not worked as well as I'd liked but better than nothing, and when they are installed you probably won't even notice anyway.