Tom's Build Options
mpfiend
#21 Posted : 09 February 2016 08:01:34

Groups: Registered

Really nice progress Tom.

Keith.
birdaj2
#22 Posted : 09 February 2016 10:23:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Coming along very well.

It looks a very nice model indeed.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
arpurchase
#23 Posted : 09 February 2016 20:42:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Tom

Looking great, I used the armour stand on a stool with a rotating seat to help with the attachment of the Tasset's it might come in handy for later.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

tnequette
#24 Posted : 17 February 2016 00:03:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Andy, Thanks for the tip. i'm thinking of using what we call a "LAZY SUSAN", a revolving food sever in response to what you said.

As I am in the break time, here are some pics of what may be my display stand rather than the cardboard box. This base does not open, it is what is is. Long ways to go and most applicable hardware comes from the UK. I have been researching on the WEB and a lot of examples are there. I will need some help on the emblems, the Date mons is very complicated. Lots of time to do this.....
tnequette attached the following image(s):
Display Base 1.JPG
Display Base 2.JPG
Display Base 3.JPG
Display Base 4.JPG
tnequette
#25 Posted : 23 February 2016 20:27:15

Back in business, Pack Three arrived yesterday. After unpacking all I wanted to look at the stand and so ok out the pieces. Here I encountered my first disappointment with my kit. The base was warped and poorly cut at the bottom. It will not sit level, too thick in the middle and rocks from side to side. I have written customer service here in the US requesting a replacement. They promise a reply within 2 days. let's hope all goes well.

I plan to rework the base as best I can but prefer a new one.

Enough negatives, back to the Tassets!
arpurchase
#26 Posted : 23 February 2016 21:19:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice box and great workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

birdaj2
#27 Posted : 23 February 2016 23:26:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That looks a very nice storage box. Very well made indeed.
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
tnequette
#28 Posted : 26 February 2016 00:24:19

Greetings to All. Thanks for all comments and advise. They help and mean a lot to me.BigGrin

Pack 3 Half Time Report: Tassets are Tassets, no problems and they do go faster and easier - still take up most of my time.Mellow Assembly of the metal parts is straight forward, just follow the instructions. The shoulder plates joint nicely if you bend the the hinge pin to match the curve of the plates.

My challenge in this step has been the shoulder plate knot. The problem was mine and not the kit's. There is not a lot of extra cord provided so be careful. I found the basic knot diagram to be very good as a guide, better than the pictures. I ended up making the knot too big and when I finished and trimmed it, it looked like crap IMHO. So... I needed more cord. After visiting a few fabric shops, not my favorite chore, I found cord of the same weave and diameter but it was black, not the ink blue provided. Oh well, the two shoulder knots will be black but if you don't tell, I won't either. Bought 3 yards to backup more probable errors.BigGrin The bitter ends were cut a bit longer and then whipped with thread and the last cm was shredded. Picture shows this.

17.5 man-hours so far, not counting shopping for cord. Really fun and relaxing build.

Tom
3-1 Shoulder Plate .JPG
3-2 Assembly.JPG
tnequette
#29 Posted : 03 March 2016 19:42:50

I decided to finish the display storage box before moving on the the last step in Pack 3.

The box was finished with four coats of red mahogany stain and then lightly sanded. I decided to use a satin lacquer finish and started with three coats brushed on, well sanded between coats to prevent build up, as a base. Then one and a half spray cans were used in 12 light coats. Light sanding with 320 grit paper and 400 and 600 grit wet paper was used at the end. The finish was rubbed out with furniture polishing compound. N to quite a piano finish but close.

Solid brass fittings were used except for the tacks and ball latches which were only brass plated. I removed the bright protective coating with furniture stripping liquid. Just soaked everything for 20 minutes and applied a tooth brush, water rinse and towel and air dry. All were blackened with a model railroad weathering agent. Again 20 minutes in the bath, rinsed and dried. Once dry I gently rubbed each piece with a cotton rag gently to get the desired finish.

Before you ask, there are exactly 80 brass tacks in the box. I have no idea how authentic this ended up but I thought the ball catches used to hold the lid down was a neat thought and not modern. Fun to do and my wife already has a small plant on it in our living room.
File Attachment(s):
Display Base 7.JPG (281kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
Display Base 5.JPG
Display Base 6.JPG
birdaj2
#30 Posted : 03 March 2016 20:05:13

Very nicely made and very well finished.
Happy Modelling

tnequette
#31 Posted : 03 March 2016 21:05:01

Thanks for your comment, Tony. For some reason the photo of the finished project did not open so I'm reloading it.Confused
File Attachment(s):
Display Base 7.JPG (281kb) downloaded 14 time(s).
davetwin
#32 Posted : 03 March 2016 22:26:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Drool Love Drool Love That is a seriously gorgeous looking box, fantastic skills!!
birdaj2
#33 Posted : 03 March 2016 22:38:26

tnequette wrote:
Thanks for your comment, Tony. For some reason the photo of the finished project did not open so I'm reloading it.Confused

Yep that certainly is one very nice box you have built and with the fittings you have used its got that kind of "Japanese" feel to it and will make a great addition to the armour.
Happy Modelling

tnequette
#34 Posted : 04 March 2016 01:02:13

Thanks for all the kind comments. As an aside I accidentally discovered the basis for the old saying we all know, " Let's get down to the brass tacks ....". Those tacks were the last chore in furniture upholstery and finishing the job.BigGrin
tnequette
#35 Posted : 04 March 2016 20:31:58

Today I finished Pack 3. Nothing worth a picture and all was routine with one exception. I am worried about having enough helmet lacing to attach two more neck guards. Andy's build warned about this.

I spent about 61.5 hours on this stage and that includes the wooden display box. To date the project has provided me with 113.5 hours of enjoyment, challenge and a little frustration.Cool

Just as I finished this post the postal service delivered my replacement display base. It was not just the base but the whole Stage 12 packet. So I now have a chance to redo the helmet neck guards with the new lacing. Sometimes the Gods are good!BigGrin Thank you Model Space - GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! BigGrin

Tom
tnequette
#36 Posted : 24 March 2016 00:17:30

Pack 4 arrived Monday.BigGrin

I launched into the stand right away. All wood was excellent and with my replacement base ( Thanks again Model Space) all i had to do was apply some lacquer sanding seal and finish. Looks good.

Then came the neck guards third ring. I did this but am very displeased with what I have, mountains and valley all messed up. As I now have replacement lacing this will all be done over - that's what happens when you get in a hurry.

Helmet rings went in as advertised and am now back to the never ending tassets. The picture will show my jig in a vise. What a difference this made! Both hands are completely free to lace the plates and be sure mountains and valleys are maintained and spacing between plates is correct. I had to removed and reweave two lacings here just to please my anal brain and discovered that if you slightly wet the laces and press them flat all original impression will relax. Easy to adjust the laces with tweezers and to pull them into position with the jig in the vice. Something good to know as redos are always present.Cool

I hope this picture of my base will also properly show. I adjusted pixel size and dropped resolution, let's see if it works.
4-2 Jig.JPG
4-1 Stand.JPG
Display Base 7.JPG
birdaj2
#37 Posted : 24 March 2016 10:34:10

Very nice indeed.

The stand looks really good quality as do the rest if the kit parts.
Happy Modelling

arpurchase
#38 Posted : 24 March 2016 18:39:48

BigGrin Nicely doneCool

tnequette
#39 Posted : 25 March 2016 21:32:12

Thanks for the kind comments. I am really enjoying doing this build, it is completely different from anything I have done. Not having to shape parts off of Chingelees or Italian plans is fun. Learning to weave good lacing is also a good skill to learn.BigGrin

I have to say that today in the SE, USA was a great day to sit on the porch in the sun and lace a sixth tasset
plate. Crystal blue skies, 67 degrees F and small planes overhead doing loops, and a glass or two of Chablis
.Cool

Happy Easter,

Tom
arpurchase
#40 Posted : 25 March 2016 22:18:47

BigGrin Sounds like a perfect day happy Easter and have one on meCool