Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages <12345>»
Tom's Build Options
Gandale
#41 Posted : 26 March 2016 08:58:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

It does sound like paradise Tom, you lucky guy all round.... Pity we can't all join you for a glass or two in that wonderful sunshine....Drool Drool ..Enjoy.....

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#42 Posted : 26 March 2016 11:13:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I am renjoying your build immensely! The care and patience that you are putting into this is really paying and I'm sure this will be an amazing show piece once you are done. Cool

I keep getting drawn to what you have done with the storage box Drool Drool
tnequette
#43 Posted : 02 April 2016 19:57:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I really enjoy the feed back on this project. Thanks to all. This is my first build using a forum and I enriches the project so much. usually modeling is very solitary and comments (and criticism) only come at the end, a showing or contests. I like the help offered and do not feel I am building this alone.

Finished Pack 4 on Friday April 1. Had some "Honey Do's" this week and Spring has sprung. spent about 24 man hours and it mostly went as instructed. I still have to redo the three neck guard rings and those hours will be added later. The only real problem encountered was the short amount of cord provided for the decorative curiass knots. I was not frugal. Both knots were made but they looked horrible - just balls. Had to go back to my fallback black cord and am very happy with the results. My Bad. Suggest that this step be done by wrapping the better ends with narrow strips of scotch tape. Determine the mid point of the cord and wrap that with one turn of tape also. Cut the cord in half through the tape. These ends will pass through the curiass holes without problems. I treaded the toggles first to find the mid points, threaded the ends through the curiass holes in reverse of the instructions. Then measure off the 3.5 cm spacing and put a dab of CA on the backside of the curiass plate to keep the spacing. Bring the ends forward and you will have enough cord for nice knots. Tie off the ends, remove the tape and fray the ends. Just a suggestion to consider.

tnequette attached the following image(s):
4-3 Knots.JPG
4-4 Assembly.JPG
stevie_o
#44 Posted : 02 April 2016 20:38:20

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Lovely work Tom, the box is fantasticBigGrin I have one more pack to come for this kit and then I will be making a start on mine - will be looking back through your post for ideas tooCool

Steve
Gandale
#45 Posted : 02 April 2016 23:37:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Tom, very nice work indeed.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#46 Posted : 03 April 2016 08:21:22

BigGrin Looking good and top work. What I found with the knots is that I found I was making them too big and once I had made them up smaller there is enough cord to do them all. Your next challenge will be the small yellow knots and loops on the guantletsCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

tnequette
#47 Posted : 19 April 2016 22:50:15

Pack 5 came in today. Thanks for all the comments. All I did today was to finish the last two pieces of the stand. My first complete portion of the kit! Feels good. BigGrin
5-1 Stand.JPG
Gandale
#48 Posted : 19 April 2016 23:14:40

It always feels good to see a portion of a build complete....Cool Cool .. Looking good....

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#49 Posted : 20 April 2016 15:11:32

BigGrin Looks greatCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

tnequette
#50 Posted : 25 April 2016 01:57:11

Sunday evening. Only an hour or so working yesterday but got back into things today. I was excited that the end of stage 17 would actually amount to something on the stand. So I glued up the curiass back and started to assemble things. Assembly was smooth but but when the whole thing was stood up nothing was level.Cursing

I know that I am only modeler on this forum that ever made a mistake and had to try to correct screw ups.Huh

The two half side plates where way off. After analyzing things the fault had to be in the hinges on the back plate. Did I but right on left and vise versa? So began a learning experience and good info about the use of CA glue. CA de-bonder is absolutely necessary to have at hand. I found earlier that if I smeared a the CA on the plates the de-bonder would easily remove it without damaging the planet lacquer finish in any way. Dampen a clean rag (t-shirt scrap) and remove the smear and redo to finish up.

I turned the back plate ventral side up and put some drops of de-bonder where the hinge was attached. Wait and redo until the hinge pops loose. Clean up the contact surface with an exact-knife and more liquid. Sure enough I had mixed the hinges. They are marked on both surfaces so be sure you have the right match. They reassembled without problems.BigGrin And things were level! This was potential disaster and the redo ability, with patience and care saved the project as far as I could see.

This sucker is HEAVY! When putting it on the stand one of the shoulder plate knots gave way. I removed the plate, redid the knot but securely glued it from the backside. The real purpose of the shoulder plate cords for fitting the armor to the man became very clear.

All happy again.BigGrin

(Leicester really looked strong today.)

5-2 Assembly.JPG
Gandale
#51 Posted : 25 April 2016 08:50:55

Looking fab...Drool Drool. Pleased you got everything sorted out and are back on track....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#52 Posted : 25 April 2016 19:22:25

BigGrin Glad your back on track and nice workCool

tnequette
#53 Posted : 25 April 2016 23:19:53

I have a question as to the practicability of the decorative knots on the chest curiass and the shoulder plates. In a real world they do not tie anything. As i said earlier this became apparent to me when placing all the heavy plates on the stand for the first time and one side came undone. It was obvious that these cords were important for the correct fitting of the armor to the warrior. I just could not see how they would work in real life. They look great but functionally I question them.Confused

Perhaps someone in this forum can explain. Just a interesting inquiry.BigGrin

Tom
ian smith
#54 Posted : 26 April 2016 15:20:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Tom.
Your build is looking very nice. love the box and the stand.
Regards IanCool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
davetwin
#55 Posted : 26 April 2016 15:54:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That is looking mighty fine indeed, great job.

You're not the only one to make a mess with CA glue and I agree with you that debonder is essential. I recently made the mistake of getting some CA on my finger and then touching the paint of my Lamborghini Cursing debonder soon took care of that BigGrin
tnequette
#56 Posted : 02 May 2016 19:03:29

Slow progress as the Boss has had her own agenda for me lately.

I was impressed with the attachment of this new Tasset assembly to the curiass. You really get an appreciation of how the armorers designed the suit and how it was assembled on the warrior. See pic.

The lacing of the last neck guard is BORING but has to be correct. These neck guards have been the most frustrating and tedious parts of my build to date. I did the yellow lacing watching TV and will do the same with the blue laces which I cut in half to manage the spaghetti effect. This will be done relaxing with the Boss and I will move on in the meantime.

Tom

5-3 Toggel.JPG
tnequette
#57 Posted : 08 May 2016 18:23:40

Finished Stage 5 today. It was a time consuming stage, a lot of lacing and fitting. Spent 50 man-hours between April 19 and May 7.

Tassets are over half finished. 👏 The hated neck rings are complete. 👍😜 The suede (?) material provided for the attachments of the pole support quickly pulled apart for me and I substituted some thin leather strips that was on hand. So, be careful with this material and do not pull them strongly. No big deal.The curiass fastenings were a bit of a challenge and I put the stand on a cookie can, as can see, to install them. The can allowed everything to simply hang straight. I do worry about the two right side plates aligning correctly but it is a bit early for that right now.

So, the Boss now has me for a couple of weeks. 🙁

5-3 Curiass.JPG
5-4 Pole Support.JPG
5-5 Assembly.JPG
delboy271155
#58 Posted : 09 May 2016 00:29:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

That`s looking really cool.

Well done.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

ian smith
#59 Posted : 09 May 2016 13:11:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Tom.
will be a nice display piece once your done. looking fab.
Regards Ian.
ian smith
#60 Posted : 09 May 2016 13:11:50

Hi Tom.
will be a nice display piece once your done. looking fab.
Regards Ian.