Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages «<23456>»
Tom's Build Options
davetwin
#61 Posted : 09 May 2016 14:16:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Well done Tom, you've done some stunning work with this
tnequette
#62 Posted : 09 May 2016 15:36:14

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks to all for the comments. Objective corrections are also more than welcome. I am really enjoying this model and it will certainly be different from anything I have ever done!

Just got notice that Model Space has begun processing Pack 6 and usually means 10 days to receipt. Not as long of a break as I anticipated.😊

Tom
arpurchase
#63 Posted : 09 May 2016 21:02:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good, soon you will receive the helmet lining made of cloth and the inside brim liner made of blue leatheret there will also be a spare amount given in the following pack after you receive the 1st piece of blue leather. You may want to wait until you get both pieces before starting the brim area.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

tnequette
#64 Posted : 09 May 2016 23:47:15

Andy,

Thanks for the response. I remember your comments at this stage of your build so I shall take your advise. Have learned to enjoy tassets and should be happy with two of them.🙄 And a bit of padding.

Tom
tnequette
#65 Posted : 21 May 2016 00:08:37

Greetings to all,

Back in business again. Received Pack 6 on Monday and managed to work on it a bit through today. I have completed the pad and tasset as the photo shows. i will do the other tasset and a half, and attach a second one to the back plate of the curiass before reassembling the armor. Then we'll tackle the helmet and the beard.😀

tnequette attached the following image(s):
6-1 Pad & Tasset.JPG
arpurchase
#66 Posted : 21 May 2016 07:36:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good, when you get too the beard you will at first try to get too much of a bundle through the holes but you soon get to know the right amount.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

tnequette
#67 Posted : 22 May 2016 14:57:13

Thanks for the tip, Andy.👍
tnequette
#68 Posted : 25 May 2016 22:47:51

Slow progress as the weather is causing green stuff to grow and THE BOSS issues instructions which must be followed. 😒 OK, have finished another tasset set and attached it plus doing the remaining half set in this stage. Pad has been attached per instructions and without problems.😊

So, am left with the "Helmet"☹️ and/or the beard and stash. Will do the helmet liner now and get it behind me. Stash looks like fun.

Tom
6-2 Side Pad.JPG
6-3 Tasset.JPG
ian smith
#69 Posted : 26 May 2016 22:45:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Tom.
Looking very nice, look forward to your next instalment,
Ian.
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Gandale
#70 Posted : 26 May 2016 22:56:24

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very neat and tidy work, its coming along a treat... This is actually larger than I thought and will end up being a very nice display piece if you carry on as you are doing.... Well done...

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#71 Posted : 27 May 2016 00:09:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It looks like you're doing a great job Tom, this build certainly requires unique skills. Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing more (thumbsup]
arpurchase
#72 Posted : 27 May 2016 17:44:50

Looking great, I used a loop of fishing line to pull the tash and beard through the holes but wear a leather glove as well so you dont slice your hands up with the line.

tnequette
#73 Posted : 27 May 2016 17:49:57

Andy,

Great tip,will use it. I have just sat down to finish the helmet by attaching the neck guards. Am pleased so far and will post photo when finished.

Tom
tnequette
#74 Posted : 27 May 2016 23:19:53

Once again I enjoy the comraderie of this build, it is a unique experience for me and it is fun to not feel alone enjoying my hobby.🙂

The helmet is finished and it was a challenge. Not difficult but just so different. When doing the liner per instructions do not be shy in pulling the bottom strings, then modify as you work up. Use fingers to shape it as a cap. Not difficult. I tied off the longer threads with each other so not to interfere with mounting it to the helmet. The supplied stretchy lining strip works without a problem.

When mounting the neck guard assembly to the helmet I did have attaching it. The lacing folds on the top ring prevented the mating of the ring to the helmet. I found the large rivets to be too short and the small rivets just would not mate so as to hold the ring. I reverted to CA and all was good. Frustrating and very time consuming.👎

The stash and beard is next and then this stage is over. I am very happy to be done with the helmet.😀

Tom
6-4 Helmet.JPG
6-5 Helmet.JPG
arpurchase
#75 Posted : 28 May 2016 07:25:06

Looks great and well done

tnequette
#76 Posted : 28 May 2016 22:24:16

Finished up Pack 6 today. The beard and mustache were also a challenge. as I was advised, be careful about how many strands of hair you try to put through these holes. 40 to 50 is way too many. When you try to pull them through the mask they double to 80 to 100 strands. Cut it in half and you will end up with the 40 to 50 total. I was advised to try fishing line and it worked very well. Be careful on what diameter you use. A 50 lb. pull line is way too thick. I used 25 lb. test pull (0.015) and it was fine. Do use leather gloves to protect your hands. A good small bent nose smooth jaw set of pliers also helps.

i am happy with the result.😊

41 hours spent on this stage and now total to date is 219 man hours.
6-6 Mask.JPG
6-7 Mask.JPG
delboy271155
#77 Posted : 28 May 2016 23:45:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

This build is coming on nicely, or "Well Good" as my Grandson says.

It`s useful when a builder gives the tips and pit falls, as it`s a great help to anyone who may build this later. Like me when it comes out of the stash and on to the table.

Keep up the good work.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

tnequette
#78 Posted : 29 May 2016 21:26:19

Derek,

I'm not a spring chicken either. My oldest grandson is 14. I started my hobby at age 8 with an Aurora P-40 and ended up with cement all over the canopy and upside down decals. But no one helped me and I was proud and was hooked on the hobby. 63 years later and now this Samurai is different from any thing tried so far. All the parts are made and painted! What is the challenge? I was used to modifying everything and making or buying extra parts and then detail painting to painful extremes. The fun was dropping away. I was very tied of contests and shows and hearing the criticisms of the "experts". This kit took me two years to even buy, it was a departure and the subscription system was very foreign to me.

Now I am 5 months into it and have enjoyed it very much. Yes, the base parts are provided but assembling them is a REAL challenge! The pace of the build is wonderful. The BEST part of the build is this forum. You are not alone. This is very different than belonging to a club, here we are all building the same model. Being from different parts of the world just adds to the experience and pleasure. Passing on tips or experiences just seems natural. I hope your model looks better than mine. That's simply what our hobby is.🙂

Tom
tnequette
#79 Posted : 12 June 2016 15:48:50

Greetings,

Back in business! Pack 7 has arrived and I got in some tasset time yesterday. Right now I am planning to finish the last 2 - 1/2 tassets first and then move on to the new parts.🙂

Tom
tnequette
#80 Posted : 21 June 2016 00:22:55

Last week was a hobby hit and miss. Be that as it may the tassets are now complete. Feels like I have lost an old friend after all the time spent with them. So, now will attach them all and then move on. Here is a pic but who wants to see more of these?👍