Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages «<5678>
Tom's Build Options
birdaj2
#121 Posted : 17 August 2016 19:13:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

tnequette wrote:
I decided to go to the second thigh guard prior to second gauntlet.

Here is a small tip on punching the guard fabric. Keep a pin drill close by and clean out the punch every six hole or so. The fabric material can build up in the punch quickly and it makes the work difficult. All a bit of fine sandpaper on a stick makes sharpening the punch quick and easy.👍

Tom

Excellent tip Tom many thanks for sharing that one.

Your latest update is looking top notch.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
tnequette
#122 Posted : 20 August 2016 17:15:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The second gauntlet went together without a problem and rather quickly. I guess the learning curve from the first one kicked in.

So, Pack 9 is now complete.👏 36 man-hours on this one. Totals to date are now 362.0 for the model and 423.5 including my base. So far Pack 7 demanded the most time at 58 hours. I'll share the stats at he end as they are interesting.👌

(A big PS here, couldn't resist: As I was writing the above I had Premier League Soocer (Football) on the tube as background noise. The warm up for Liechester vs Arsenal was on and the pre game music being blasted on the stadium's PA system was Andrea Bocelli!😮 Now, I gotta tell youse guys we may play the Stones at an NFL game, BUT BOCELLI ??)😀

tnequette attached the following image(s):
9-5 Gauntlet.JPG
birdaj2
#123 Posted : 20 August 2016 21:56:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

There is a lot more to this kit that first meets the eye.

Did not know there was this layer of chain mail.

Its all looking very good.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
arpurchase
#124 Posted : 20 August 2016 22:32:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nicely done
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

delboy271155
#125 Posted : 20 August 2016 23:59:42

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looks good. WTG

I`d rather build to Bocelli than the Stones any day. LOL

Keep up the good work, it`s going well what ever backing music you choose;)

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

davetwin
#126 Posted : 21 August 2016 11:37:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks not very nice indeed!!

Did you have to assemble the chain mail link by link? That's some serious patience
tnequette
#127 Posted : 21 August 2016 18:19:19

Dave,

Thankfully the chain mail is suppled as a sheet. It comes mounted to a cardboard sheet, albeit not very well, and the card has a pattern on it which indicated which links must be removed. Check my pictures to see the card.

Tom
tnequette
#128 Posted : 06 September 2016 02:18:11

Back in business with Pack 10. Stage 41 is to complete the gauntlet had and attach to to the sleeve from the last stage. No problems, very straightforward. I found the use of the thick foam board and map pins helpful.

Tom

10-1 Gauntlet .JPG
10-2Gauntlet.JPG
tnequette
#129 Posted : 14 September 2016 22:27:40

Hi Guys,

Some working delays this week but a bit has been done. The gauntlet is coming together. A second chance is always better and I am more satisfied. The was a comment on this build about excess links in the gauntlets and I have also encountered this even after following the directions without problem. My excess links are in the wrist area above the hand plates. I dismissed this on the left arm as more links in this area lends more wrist flexibility in battle. Same thing came up on the right arm and now I would have removed 2 rows of links in this area and all would have fallen nicer. Just thought for the next builder as if you think I am going to redo these, you are wrong!BigGrin

File Attachment(s):
10-3 Gauntlet.JPG (273kb) downloaded 55 time(s).
10-4 Gauntlet.JPG
Gandale
#130 Posted : 14 September 2016 22:55:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

This is looking really good, very neat and tidy work being shown....

Regards

Alan
tnequette
#131 Posted : 16 September 2016 21:24:11

Date has a right arm BigGrin. I plan to use a bit of black tissue to bulk up the gauntlets a little. We shall see how that looks, easily correctedCool .

The armor has been disassembled for a final cleaning and polishing. The wife ironed the stand cover for me it it now awaits the armor. i shall return!
10-5 Gauntlet.JPG
tnequette
#132 Posted : 18 September 2016 00:47:47

Date is coming along nicely now and i can smell the sea air in front of me. Just finish the second thigh guard and Pack 10 will be done! No real issues to bring up. Just follow the instructions. Handling all of this by yourself when mounting and remounting on the stand is a challenge. If you have another set of hands available for assistance it would really help.BigGrin

10-6 Assembly.JPG
arpurchase
#133 Posted : 18 September 2016 09:16:34

BigGrin Looking great and nice work the armour certainly looks imposing on its stand and is a good size. I used the cardboard tubes from toilet rolls covered inblack tissue paper to bulk out my gauntlets and leg guards.Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

tnequette
#134 Posted : 19 September 2016 02:39:47

Pack 10 is finished. 36.5 man hours. Date has been all polished and is now under wraps. I have no idea at all at this time how to display without a case. $$$$$$ Confused

10-7 Assembly.JPG
tnequette
#135 Posted : 03 October 2016 21:52:43

Okay, we are off again with Pack 11. Have decided to finish the thigh guards first and then move on the leg guards. This was an interesting mailing as two boxes arrive. i was expecting the build parts and the display box. But the second box contained a tool tote bag and two screw drivers. Confused Nice bag, thank you.

I will be ironing the thigh guard black backing fabric and the waist band as recommended and will review Andy and Gord's builds before starting those sequences.

Tom
tnequette
#136 Posted : 07 October 2016 00:40:10

Just a little post. The thigh guards are complete and will now have to be combine and finished.

Tom

11-1 Thigh Guards.JPG
davetwin
#137 Posted : 08 October 2016 00:32:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

They look extremely need and tidy Tom, well done Cool Drool
tnequette
#138 Posted : 09 October 2016 20:30:37

I finished the thigh guards and began attaching the waist band. This proved to be a challenge and while not really pleased it is done. Thanks to Andy and Gord for their builds to help me. I followed Gord in using adhesive helming material and definitely recommend it. My problem was in the folding the band. Black on black can be hard to see to iron and my eyes look through variable lenses.Cursing Best part is you can't see the band under the armor when finished.BigGrin Again I say - keep your punch sharp. Attaching trim, laces and buttons went smoothly.

I mounted the guards to my base and it looks good!Cool My cardboard box base has yet to arrive so it was god the wooden base was built last January after all. Date is now sitting on top of his thigh guards and all cords and knots are done.

No to the first leg guard.👍
11-2 Thigh Guards .JPG
11-3 Thigh Guards.JPG
11-4 Thigh Guards.JPG
11-6 Assembly.JPG
11-5 Assembly.JPG
Spal
#139 Posted : 09 October 2016 21:40:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Not built this myself but it certainly looks imposing and you are making a lovely job of it, keep up the good work Cool

Al
tnequette
#140 Posted : 11 October 2016 02:57:02

I completed the supplied parts for the first leg guard today. It all went smoothly and was quite surprised how fast the lacing went. Guess all the learned experience has kicked in.BigGrin

Pack 11 is now finished. Last month I commented that I could smell the salt air, now we can hear the waves crashing! 30 hours for this Pack - not bad as I expected more when it first arrived. 431.5 hours to date not counting the base.👏

Tom
11-7 Leg Guard.JPG