Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages 123>»
Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito Mk VI Options
pemberg
#1 Posted : 02 January 2016 12:05:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi
I have always been a big fan of the Mossie and bought "The Mosquito Explored" from Flyingzone a while ago.
I was going to build this 'out of the box' but after downloading the pdf's for some of the Eduard sets available I have ordered 3 sets - the interior, exterior and fabric seat belts from Hannants and am awaiting delivery. The sets are small as the kit needs very little in the way of enhancements.
I ordered the paints I needed last Monday from Wonderland models in Edinburgh and got them on Wednesday - always a good service.
I will post some initial pics once I receive the Eduard sets.
Graeme
magpie1832
#2 Posted : 02 January 2016 14:02:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Graeme.
The mossie is my alltime favourite plane closely followed by the Spit. I look forward to seeing your updates on this build. The Tamiya kit is a great kit.
Good luck on your build.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

ModelMania
#3 Posted : 02 January 2016 14:26:02

Groups:

A beautiful kit Graeme and a fabulous entry into the 2016 comp - I'm tempted to give you my vote already!! Drool Cool ThumpUp

I'll look forward to your diary - well done. ThumpUp

Kev Smile
pemberg
#4 Posted : 05 January 2016 11:48:39

Here are some initial pics of the box contents and the Eduard sets which arrived yesterday. I will assess which of the eduard bits I will use as the build progresses, some of the etch switches are minuscule.

Pic 1 shows the box.
Pic 2 shows the instruction manual and reference material.
pics 3-7 shows the box contents.
pic 8 the Eduard sets
Pic 9 a closer view of the interior set.

sorry for the reflection from the flash but it is a bit dull and murky up here today (Again!)
Graeme
pemberg attached the following image(s):
TM 1.jpg
TM 2.jpg
TM 3.jpg
TM 4.jpg
TM 5.jpg
TM 6.jpg
TM 7.jpg
TM 8.jpg
TM 9.jpg
The Migrant
#5 Posted : 05 January 2016 15:14:43

Red Medal: Red Medal

Looking forward to this. I've heard (and seen) nothing but good things about this kit
Mike G.
_______
Calgary, AB
davetwin
#6 Posted : 05 January 2016 15:26:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great choice Graeme, I've been looking at this one myself so will be looking forward to your build. BigGrin
pemberg
#7 Posted : 16 January 2016 16:10:51

I have now made a start on the build.

Pic 1 shows kit part U23 (pilot seat back and bulletproof plate)together with the fire extinguisher (molded on bracket has been removed)with Eduard etch bracket next to it and the kit flare holders (with flares)together with the Eduard replacement holders.

pics 2 & 3 show the etch parts folded and attached to the bulletproof plate. The attachment holes for the kit parts have been filled. Still needs a little clean up once the glue has fully set.

Pic 4 shows the above with the pilots seat fitted. There are still some etch and kit parts to be added but that's all my eyes can take for now.

Graeme
TM 10.jpg
TM 11.jpg
TM 12.jpg
TM 13.jpg
mogwai
#8 Posted : 16 January 2016 18:06:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi very nice start, to a very nice kit will be following all the way on this one.cheers mick.BigGrin BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
davetwin
#9 Posted : 16 January 2016 18:36:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice start indeed, the etch looks very well done ThumpUp
ModelMania
#10 Posted : 16 January 2016 19:29:18

Groups:

Nice start Graeme to what promises to be a very interesting build. Cool ThumpUp

Like so many others the Mossie is one of my all time favourites and the Tamiya kit is leagues ahead of any other manufacturer in my opinion making it a priority on my 'wants' list, so I'll be watching closely to see how it all goes together?

So glad somebody is doing a large scale aircraft as their comp entry this year - gets my vote already!! Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
magpie1832
#11 Posted : 16 January 2016 20:32:02

Great start mate. Looks fab.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

birdaj2
#12 Posted : 16 January 2016 20:47:04

Looks like you have some great times ahead with this one -,it looks an absolutly stunning kit.

There are some amazing builds taking place with this particular kit and i am sure yours will be amongst them.

Hope you have agreat time putting this one together

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
arpurchase
#13 Posted : 16 January 2016 21:41:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nicely done Graeme and great workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

pemberg
#14 Posted : 16 January 2016 22:10:48

Thanks for the comments guys. A long way to go, I just hope I can do the kit justice.
Graeme
Gandale
#15 Posted : 17 January 2016 11:39:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks like a great start to a superb looking kit.... nicely done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
pemberg
#16 Posted : 17 January 2016 15:16:00

The Eduard interior set has parts to replace the first aid kit which is located under the right side of the pilots seat.
Pic 1 shows the Tamiya part and the etch replacement parts.
Pic2 shows the individual etch parts bent to shape.
Pic 3 shows the completed box together with the Kit part.

The kit instructions say to paint the first aid box cockpit green but on looking at photos of the Mossie cockpit the first aid box appears to be made from thick cardboard (the same material that the old suitcases of that era were made from) and as such it is a cardboard brown colour with leather fasteners so that is how I will paint it.

Pic 4 shows the harness release mechanism. The upper part is from the kit and fits at the back of the plots seat. The lower part is eduard etch and is the release lever and cable. The kit has the release lever molded onto the right side of the seat but no cable detail so the moled on lever was removed and the eduard part fitted (Pic 5).

Pic 6 shows shows the eduard etch part for a leather pad which was fitted around the release cable and seat arm presumably to both hold the cable in place and prevent it from snagging on the pilot.

Well that's it for now, those small etch brass parts certainly go for the eyes and these are big compared to the seat belt buckles Crying

Graeme
TM 14.jpg
TM 15.jpg
TM 16.jpg
TM 17.jpg
TM 18.jpg
TM 19.jpg
birdaj2
#17 Posted : 17 January 2016 15:33:37

These are etched parts are going to make a brilliant kit a fantastic kit.

Following this one with great interest
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
ModelMania
#18 Posted : 17 January 2016 21:50:11

Groups:

Top work on the etched parts Graeme, looking very neat and tidy - well done!! Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
michu
#19 Posted : 17 January 2016 22:14:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Beautiful work Graeme, I'm following this one. I have the Mossie in my stash and when I start building it I will be snatching your ideas for sure :D
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
arpurchase
#20 Posted : 17 January 2016 23:19:47

BigGrin Very nice work on the etchCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .