Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages <1234>»
Marks Build Log Options
scraperjawa
#21 Posted : 02 March 2016 05:35:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Some very nice work there, Mark. I like what you have done with the engine well. Very realistic looking. Can't wait to see more.

Stephen
Current Builds: HMS Sovereign of the Seas /// Lamborghini Countach /// Eaglemoss BTTF DeLorean

Finished Builds: Millennium Falcon

fizball
#22 Posted : 26 March 2016 08:36:07

Superb job Mark. I like the addition of the Haynes workshop manual on the shelf in the hold area.
Markwarren
#23 Posted : 26 March 2016 09:49:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Many thanks for the kind words. I have been tweaking some of the hold area over the last couple of weeks along with the nose cone which I should complete very soon. I have also been busy with the damaged area of the hull plating, or as “Ade” put it, the beauty spots.
I have used a ball headed screw, heated the damaged areas with a dremel blow torch and pushed the head of the screw in to deepen the hole, taking care on a couple of them because of the frame work behind. I then made a small hole and cut a jagged area to represent the blast. Caution, this was only attempted after practicing with some spare hull pieces I had. Now it's ready for painting but very pleased with the results. I will post pictures very soon.
Mark
adriuus
#24 Posted : 28 March 2016 11:03:04

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking forward to seeing how your work on those awful beauty spots or moles as ive now started calling themLaugh Laugh .. You may inspire me to "go deeper".... If im brave enough !!!
Markwarren
#25 Posted : 28 March 2016 15:24:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Thanks’ Ade I haven’t started any painting yet, but here is what I have done so far.
Picture 1. As you can see in the photo, starting from the left, holes 2 and 6 have the framework below so make sure the underside is still flat, otherwise the hull piece won’t sit right. I have got some little rubber caps which I will glue on the underside to give it a little more depth and stop any light leakage.

I have also been working on the new nose cone, the before and after pictures. I painted the original one over a year ago and I have never really been happy, even with the replacement one. I have been looking a quite a few reference pictures and seeing the cone on the new Star Wars film, I noticed it is heavily pitted. As most of you know I am painting directly onto the existing model, no base coat first, so getting the new nose cone colour right was quite testing but got there in the end.
Thanks for looking
Mark
Picture 2. Old Nose Cone painted a year ago

Pictures 3 & 4. New Nose Cone

Thanks for looking
Mark
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 1.jpg
IMG_1814.jpg
Photo 28-03-2016, 14 14 07.jpg
Photo 28-03-2016, 14 17 01.jpg
adriuus
#26 Posted : 28 March 2016 15:47:30

WOW !!!......that work you have done on the nose cone is simply stunning....its really the only piece that was too "toy" like for me and was crying out for adapting...you've really got that spot on.
love the work on the "moles" too....like the idea of the rubber behind the holes for light blocking....didn't think of that one!!!
looking forward to more...
Markwarren
#27 Posted : 28 March 2016 16:22:02

Thanks Ade, totally agree, for a model that's highly detailed it was the one thing that let it down in comparison for me.
LrdSatyr8
#28 Posted : 29 March 2016 15:28:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking great so far my friend... love the work on the blast holes... very nice!
davetwin
#29 Posted : 29 March 2016 20:06:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really nice weathering on the nose cone Mark ThumpUp ThumpUp
Markwarren
#30 Posted : 29 March 2016 20:59:25

Many thanks Dave, LrdSatyr8 for you kind works and encouragement.
Whilst waiting for new parts to arrive, can't stop tweeking parts I did earlier on in the build. I reckon I could get this thing to fly by the time I finish.
Now there's a project!!!!!
A Thumbs
#31 Posted : 29 March 2016 21:05:51

The effect of pitted paint work is really impressive. How did you achieve it, if you don't mind sharing secrets? It's especially impressive knowing that you're painting straight onto the plastic.
Markwarren
#32 Posted : 29 March 2016 21:32:55

I painted the chipped areas the same way as the actuators on the bottom hull section. The front part of the cone was sprayed with Humbrol metalcote paint, left to dry for 24 hours and then polished. I used a combination of Vallejo model air paints, aged white mixed with little white and German grey. I found that gives almost the deag colour. Left to dry for a few days, then painted the grey part and weathered with the usual mig oils. The chipped parts are then done with a modelling knife scraping off carefully to expose the metalcote paint underneath.
Hope that helps
Mark
A Thumbs
#33 Posted : 29 March 2016 21:55:36

Very much. Thanks for the quick reply, and looking forward to seeing more.
Markwarren
#34 Posted : 06 April 2016 12:00:30

I have had a go at “Ade’s Beauty Spots”, love that expression, and started weathering, quite pleased on how they look, although still some a little more to do on them yet. Just need to place the rubber caps on the underside to give then a little more and stop any light bleed. Thanks for looking.
Mark

Markwarren attached the following image(s):
IMG_1815.jpg
adriuus
#35 Posted : 08 April 2016 17:11:19

Fantastic job mark.... You've really nailed it there...your falcon is rapidly becoming the benchmark i think...very nice
tf64
#36 Posted : 08 April 2016 19:58:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mark,

Excellent paint work really make's the whole model stand out.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Markwarren
#37 Posted : 08 April 2016 22:17:01

Many thanks Ade, trev for your King comments, can't believe we are so close now to completing this project, feels like we are on the last run, it has gone so quick. ,
LeviathanPrime
#38 Posted : 08 April 2016 23:51:12

Groups:

We haven't seen what's in store for us yet on some of the more detailed sections. The rear vent area, mandibles, the side walls, the engines themselves. I expect some people might find the sides more detailed than they expect and there is a lot of area to cover.
Markwarren
#39 Posted : 09 April 2016 08:59:31

I know we still have some way to go, and I also know the side detailing is something I'm looking forward to, as I will be highlighting the detail. But it doesn't seem that long ago from when I started, must be my age. BigGrin
Moonman
#40 Posted : 11 April 2016 14:52:52

Mark, your updated cockpit nose cone and battle damage paint/weathering looks awesome. I am still waiting for my replacement nose cone to arrive but you really did an amazing job.