Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Kessel Run in 12 Parsecs ... One Day Soon! Options
rj1265
#1 Posted : 10 January 2016 19:37:29

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Not so long a ago, In a Galaxy far far away ( County Durham UK ), Santa (My wife and sister-in-law) delivered 51 parts (+ part 52 a couple of days later) on Christmas Day , I hear a rumor that Santa is collecting the next 48 parts for delivery later in 2016 :) !!

OMG the best xmas present since a Raleigh Chopper bike my parents got me 39 years ago.

Euphoria has now past ,and the enormity of the task is now apparent ( I was a keen modeller into my mid 20's starting off with 1/72 Airfix kits , migrating through the 1/48 Tamiya models ending up making R/C gliders and racing sailboats (don't think my Dad will ever forget the day we cast a lead keel of 10Kg ). 20 years has now past .... and i feel like a complete beginner :)

Research bought me here and wow, lots of good tips and techniques waking up brain cells that have been dormant ...

I will post my successes and failures here in the forthcoming months :)

On the WorkBench : DeAg Millennium Falcon , Deag R2-D2
To Build : various 1/72 , 1/32 WW II Military Planes
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 10 January 2016 19:44:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome to the forum rj1265 and have a great build. I will be starting my build when I get to around issue 50 but any questions just ask were here to helpCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

birdaj2
#3 Posted : 10 January 2016 19:48:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Rj1265

Hope you get lots of fun with your build and welcome to the forum.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
stevie_o
#4 Posted : 10 January 2016 20:12:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Spudtrooper37
#5 Posted : 10 January 2016 21:16:02

Welcome aboard.

You're wife kept this from you for a year! Wow! She's definitely a keeper BigGrin

I am sure you have enjoyed looking and building thus hunk of junk

Darren

Have an AWSOME day and may the Force be with you always 😉

Building: Millennium Falcon https://forum.model-spac...sts&t=14381&p=7 - Building: BTTF Delorean - Building: Dom's Dodge Charger
- Building : X-Wing https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=posts&t=34899
davetwin
#6 Posted : 10 January 2016 21:19:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the build BigGrin you've certainly got,enough parts there to get cracking and should pretty much finish up the bottom of the hull BigGrin

Look forward to seeing some of your work Cool
rj1265
#7 Posted : 11 January 2016 17:47:03

Thank you for the warm welcome - i have been enjoying reading the build diaries here , picking up tips and seeing the awesome builds that you all are creating, then I found Steve Dymszo's you tube video's ..... which led onto Spencer's ... productivity today at work has not been great Blushing

Brain cells that have been dormant for years have been re-energized !!

So the build started last night with the obvious change (the window frame) and what seemed like 2 hours gently filing the seams of all parts of the Quad Cannon. These will be degreased and sprayed with Tamiya Surface Primer (Light Grey) , this week.

More decisions this week , include - how much / if any customization of the interior.

Then the more practical choices - buying an airbrush , making a spray booth in the garage and start collecting the specific colours modelling paints (I will be raiding my sister-in-laws stack of acrylic pastels and oils) .

rj1265
#8 Posted : 18 January 2016 14:00:31

Week 2 of build , having 52 issues in 2 large cardboard boxes (still with the xmas wrapping paper round them) was my 1st challenge.

I have separated the magazines from the parts packet and started reading through the assembly sections. Knowing that my construction skills are well ahead of my airbrushing skills , I have decided to assemble the underside metalwork 1st BigGrin

Attaching little black screws to frame work, 2 & 4 hole connectors has kept me busy and the dinning room table full the week, completing it on Saturday afternoon when it was relocated to my home office so that BobaFett and Yoda could provide overwatch should anything nasty happen :)

This brings me Issue 38 and the ramp construction - the ramp needs painting so the Falcon's construction pauses here, until I have built a small spray booth in the garage and got some practise back waving an airbrush around Laugh
delboy271155
#9 Posted : 18 January 2016 14:27:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

One week in to the build and moving to a bigger work space,Blink that just shows the impressive size of the Falcon.

WTG on your progress so far and congrats on your blue medal for getting your diary underway.Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Nytetrain
#10 Posted : 18 January 2016 14:43:18

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice progress so far. Welcome to the Falcon build. Congrats on your first medal. I have 2 builds going and still haven't received mine. LOL . Look forward to seeing your progress. Still working on my spray booth also. I was almost done when then temperature here dropped to -12F so that put a halt on that project. Good luck and if you have questions please don't hesitate to ask. Lots of helpful people here.

Ron
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
birdaj2
#11 Posted : 18 January 2016 15:42:48

Must say i am very impressed with the metal framework they are using for this model.

Looks like you are getting some good fun out of building this one.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
davetwin
#12 Posted : 18 January 2016 16:48:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good with the frame, I was really impressed with it myself after it was complete BigGrin

Once I complete the frame I turned it over and put a drop of superglue on the end of each screw to ensure they wouldn't come loose, a very tedious Blink
rj1265
#13 Posted : 25 January 2016 17:34:43

Big milestones this week ... 4 binders arrived , all 52 magazines I have are safely filed.

Most of my spare time this week has been used building a small spray booth / protection for my rowing machine and bicycles in the garage , I don't think airbrushing in the dinning room will pass the internal approval processes !

After raiding my sister-in-laws crafting/painting supplies (some oils and pastels acquired for weathering) , a visit to a local model shop resulted in the purchase of many items , some totally unrelated to building the Falcon BigGrin

Lidll UK have a cordless multitool on offer this week - I NEEDED a new one and obviously had to test it before startnig work, ! still debating if these holes are deep enough

rj1265
#14 Posted : 28 January 2016 15:21:40

So after enough reading of the internet , YouTubing almost every model weathering / painting how to that has ever been produced (well it feels like it), it was to actually time apply some paint to a model for the 1st time in 22 years , the 2 Quad Guns..

Nothing new or game changing just ... light gray primer , a dark wash , dry brushing white and then some black and dry brushed black.

I am pleased how they have turned out BigGrin, I will comeback to them later and apply some rust / more dirt when my hands stop shaking.

rj1265
#15 Posted : 11 February 2016 14:21:14

A couple of weeks has gone past, Google and my imagination have been my downfall LOL

I started this build with the mindset - 'I will keep the interior standard' - nobody really looks there, its the exterior paint job / weathering that will wow those who I show.

The hold was built (and glued) , and looked nice, for something that was not going to be seen very often if at all, then one evening last week it all went bad (or good if you get my meaning).
The only place I can display the Falcon is in my home office , the dining room or lounge are obviously non starters !!.

Therefore she will be just a few feet away from my Mac & PC's, in a room I 'live and work in' - I work from home BigGrin ... looking at the pics posted here of the circuit board that comes with the model , I wondered if I can get a computer to control the lights / ramp . One thing leads to another ... 'I will add my own lights' show off the interior as well !! ..... ending up on Ardunio's web site, followed by Ebay , then the realisation that I had assembled the hold Confused Blushing

Never fear Mr Dremmel was here, seats , nav computer, dejark table 'un-glued' and suitable self tapping screws found to afix the items at a later stage, Thankfully I only used a very very small spot of glue on the pads in the archway doors and they all 'pinged off' just using finger pressure.

The postman has started delivering the essentials - 'Plasticard' in various thickness, coloured 0.25mm fibre optic cables, I 'borrowed' some bass guitar strings off my nephew and my garage (full of those 'might be useful one day' bits and pieces is getting raided!

Paragrafix Corridors and Hold sets are on pre-order, the electronics components are on order - I will be building my own Arduino clone (because its fun) and adding a regulated power in / out , therefore it will be able to use the same input power as the falcon and switch 9V without getting too messy.

I am also going to try some scratch building rather than order 3d printed parts ( though if my attempts are rubbish I may resort to Shapeways )

As I said at the beginning my imagination has finally got the better of me!!

Some pictures of the hold as it is now, after modifying, painting and reassembling the rear wall:

The pipes look bright white - must be the camera flash - on the wall they look dirty white ( I can always dull them a bit more later if needs)

1st attempt at scratch building , the 1st Frame piece, having a test fit in hold

Thanks Colson for posting the Ebay link - I could not find anyone in UK selling coloured cables :) , they arrived this morning .. now to learn the art of Zen drilling 0.25mm drill bit looks awfully small lol

Finally one of the lower hull, I have stopped at this point as I need to plan how I am going to add the red 'mind you head' lights around the hull - currently I am thinking 3x.25 mm fibre cables bundled together simply because the thinner cable can have a smaller bend radius over 1x 0.75mm or 1mm cable.

Thank you for reading
LrdSatyr8
#16 Posted : 21 March 2016 21:30:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking great bro... but you can bend fibers with a hair dryer at a tighter radius... just don't fry them and get it too close.
rj1265
#17 Posted : 23 March 2016 16:23:22

Its been a little time since my last update, being 1 year behind everyone I am not going to post every time I do something since you all have seen it several times before !! - we all have seen enough pictures of wall cushions, corridor hoops .... and I have just finished painting and weathering them all !! - Doing all 9 hoops back to back was fun ? just ... I even dreamt about little square cushions !!

I have spent quite a bit of time playing with electronics / learning to programme an Arduino Board (this includes using 1 switch to control several channels that are independent of each other) , remembering the joys of Darlington Transistors v MOSFET's switching 9/12V using a 5V with a small current. I also have enough different types of led to light a fullsize runway, just waiting for some EL Tape now to complete the collection !! :)

The underside is now primed , I am still debating on how much pre-shading / lighter coloured primer / base coat I will do. I still need to practise a bit more on some test sheets.

Pictures or it didn't happen time ...
Underside with recesses temp fitted ( they look a lot less orange/rusty to the eye in daylight ) , there are holes for 1.5mm Fibre Optic, and some 1.5mm Fibre Optic is already in place protruding by approx 1mm that will be polished flush to hull after painting for the'Mind your Head' lighting.

Corridor Hoops and turret access corridor

Gunners Chair

Lighting Test on Nav Console - ParaGraphix Hold and Corridor kit arrived today, need to decide which to use.

Till the next time
Happy Modelling and May The Force be with You
rj1265
#18 Posted : 06 April 2016 18:18:26

A little update , I have been playing with electronics and an Arduino

1st lighting test using Arduino to 'switch on and off the lights'

If I could post a video you would see - press the 'momentary switch' activates the corridor lights for 10 seconds then turns them off , obviously I can set the 'on time' longer it is just a variable in the code.

My first play with EL Tape - I really like the effect

rj1265
#19 Posted : 06 March 2017 12:58:05

Its been a long time since I posted anything .... actually did any work on my Falcon - Life / work etc kept getting in the way ...... and every time I looked at the bottom hull , I was apprehensive to start the weather process Confused Mellow

But since the R2 announcement .... and Airfix announcing the retooling of their 1/72 B-17 Flying Fortress model ( this was last and the best finished model I built 30+ years ago) which is now sitting waiting to be built !! I have bitten the bullet and dived into weathering the bottom hull .. here it is - soo far.

Bill-Devine
#20 Posted : 06 March 2017 17:24:14

Looking good, I understand about long breaks.
My long break came when deciding what to do about the interior i.e. stay with the kit of buy aftermarket parts. I decided that since I went through the expense of buying this kit what is a few hundred dollars more to do it right. Mine is going much slower than originally planned but it is what it is.

Best of luck on getting her done.
Make things as simple as possible but not simpler... - Albert Einstein