Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Change in direction Options
CanadianJedi
#1 Posted : 18 January 2016 15:45:04

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi everyone. I have been struggling a bit with how to paint this thing and I have recently completely changed my mind in terms of the look I want. I keep looking at pics of the 32" filming model and I just keep feeling .....underwhelmed (for lack of a better word). From a distance, it looks great, but up close, I don't really like it.

I think that is the key...the filming model was meant to be seen in wider shots or in motion, so all of that spackling and streaking gives a look of weathering. Up close (which is how our models will be seen), I don't know how it translates. This is just my opinion and I don't want to negate the beautiful work of the many talented people here, because you are all creating nothing less than works of art.

The look I am now leaning toward is that of the full size model. When you see the actors standing beside the ship, it looks very different from the 32" model. It's more grey and grimy.

I have included a pic of a TFA version that I love the look of. I think that is what I am going to emulate.

Just my two cents worth.

File Attachment(s):
FullSizeRender.jpg (335kb) downloaded 50 time(s).
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 18 January 2016 15:54:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I agree. I doubt I will try to replicate every color marking and weathering of the filming model. I think people will want to get up close and look so I will bear that in mind when I am painting more than the need to be 100% accurate to the filming model
LeviathanPrime
#3 Posted : 18 January 2016 16:29:37

Groups:

CanadianJedi wrote:
From a distance, it looks great, but up close, I don't really like it.
The look I am now leaning toward is that of the full size model. When you see the actors standing beside the ship, it looks very different from the 32" model. It's more grey and grimy.

This is exactly why I won't be following the Dymszo method for painting and detailing it. I hope to show off my exterior hull work in my build diary soon.

That said I noticed an issue with this image. This is a Force Awakens model you have pictured (with a cockeyed canopy for some reason). If you want to paint it that way, it seems to be missing a lot of smaller details so it won't make the best reference.

The other thing to consider is that Dmyzso was showing people how to re-create the studio filming prop. Filming lights change how an object looks as opposed to regular lighting in a room. He may be helping people make theirs in a way that doesn't look exactly like the on screen version other than those specific action shots that it was used for.

My final version will probably much more closely resemble Scale Model Medic's Falcon from Youtube. I feel it's how I'll always see that Falcon.

Scale Model Medic - Painting the Falcon
davetwin
#4 Posted : 18 January 2016 16:57:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I completely agree with you Jedi, I will be weathering mine using methods that I saw on YouTube while researching painting my Finemolds Falcon.

If you are interested in a better method check out the videos this guy has done, it's in six parts

http://youtu.be/wreblsPaUhU
CanadianJedi
#5 Posted : 18 January 2016 22:01:28

I love his work too, Leviathan. It's an excellent video series.
CanadianJedi
#6 Posted : 18 January 2016 22:07:10

davetwin wrote:
I completely agree with you Jedi, I will be weathering mine using methods that I saw on YouTube while researching painting my Finemolds Falcon.

If you are interested in a better method check out the videos this guy has done, it's in six parts

http://youtu.be/wreblsPaUhU

Thanks for the link Davetwin. I have watched that video series before but it was great to watch it again. I love that look!
LeviathanPrime
#7 Posted : 19 January 2016 00:11:36

Groups:

Message was deleted by User.