Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<34567>
Frederick the Victorious and the Battle of Seckenheim 1462 Options
Martyn Ingram
#81 Posted : 18 September 2016 20:13:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Love brilliant work yet again Robin the attention to detail is stunning Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Nemesis
#82 Posted : 19 September 2016 10:46:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Totally amazing work! This will be museum quality when finished!Drool BigGrin
Tomick
#83 Posted : 19 September 2016 11:00:34

Groups:

The patience and tenacity of a Saint, do you ever get to leave the house? LOL

Stunning work Robin ThumpUp
ModelMania
#84 Posted : 23 September 2016 09:13:59

Groups:

Fabulous work on the sword Robin, you certainly have the edge (excuse the pun ... which was fully intended!! Blushing Flapper) when it comes to scratchbuilding.

Very well done on another cool update, I'm looking forward to the next instalment already!! Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Plymouth57
#85 Posted : 29 September 2016 21:04:37

Many thanks indeed to Martyn, Nem, Tom and Kev for those kind words! Blushing "Museum Quality" is the highest accolade in a forum like this - grateful thanks for that Nem and congratulations on your own well deserved position of the month!Cool Cool Cool
"Leave the HOUSE!" What! Actually I do get out from time to time BigGrin mostly shopping trips and three days a week on a caring job (7 mile round trip by cycle!) and in fact a later stage of this build will reveal just how useful it is to be 'out and about' Blink
OK, on with the building and in this installment a few of the component parts worked on separately come together at last and Frederick begins to look like a real figure!BigGrin

The first joint to be started was the left shoulder as shown in Photo 1. The moveable ‘universal joint’ was glued into its final position some weeks ago now, (actually it was glued twice – the first time I wasn’t sure if I’d glued the rotating pivot or not and the next day I tried moving it only to snap off the much weaker peg holding the entire arm into the torso!) The first task in blending in the shoulder is to mix up a little Silver Grey Milliput Epoxy Putty and to apply a thin ‘sausage’ of putty around the base of the joint, this was then smoothed outwards from the arm to fill in the rectangular depression and blend into the torso itself as illustrated in Photo 2. Further putty was then added in to enlarge the initial filler, especially at the back of the shoulder where that same rectangular dip extended almost to the armour itself. Once the ‘missing’ shoulder area was filled in, the putty was then smoothed over using first the round aluminium handle of the modelling knife to get the contours roughly right and then with a finger tip dipped into clean water – Milliput as most of you will know reacts well with simple water for moulding and smoothing out. This was the extent of the first session, apart from also filling in a small elbow gap on the right arm. The biggest problem I’ve always had with Milliput is gauging just how much to mix up for any particular job. On rare occasions I’m not too far out but as you can see in the bottom of Photos 3 and 4, I mixed up far more than this exercise required. Not to worry though, on this occasion I opened up the skylight and pushed the excess into a gap in the roof tiles! (Waste not want not!)
The next night I then began to carefully sand the set Milliput down further, making sure not to encroach over the edges of the moulded armour, and trimming the armpit region back from the said armour using a thin pointed modelling knife. I have always found with this kind of figure modelling that the best way to check on the overall ‘look’ of the limb/shoulder positioning (or any other part of the body for that matter) is to hold the model up to a strong backlight (in my case, the skylight in my attic workroom) and to look at the figure in silhouette, ie, just a black shape. By moving it around you can easily pick out any parts where either there is too much putty giving an unnatural ‘bulge’ or too little causing a ‘dip’ in the outline. Using this method eventually you can remove the excess and build up the missing bits until it looks ‘right’. Afterwards, once the Milliput is set hard you can still make any fine adjustment by either adding a thin skin of putty or sanding down as required.
You might notice in Photos 1 to 4, the left upper arm plate is still in the raw tuna tin finish whilst in the following pictures it is a nice shiny polished finish – more on this in a little while!
With the basic Milliputting completed on the left shoulder I could finally glue the right arm into position as illustrated in Photo 5. This time however, I had the good sense NOT to super glue the steel plate onto the upper arm! You’ll notice some big gaps still showing in the plastic arm, these will be filled in later though, the metal plate butts up tight against the elbow piece to cover over that gap and the plastic elbow joint protector or Couter fits in the other gap. Photos 6 and 7, show the initial application of the next mixing of the Milliput, roughly moulded and pushed into position for the right shoulder (hence the fingerprints everywhere), whilst Photos 8 and 9 were taken after the Milliput had been further smoothed out with the fingertip dipped in water. The only tool used in this part was the cylindrical aluminium knife handle, which was rolled up under the armpit, to round it off a little more. As mentioned before you’ll notice here that the metal arm plate is now fully polished. I had to wait almost a week to complete that task as, when I began to wire-brush the metal I became aware of an ever increasing barrage of shrapnel hitting my face and neck (fortunately, wearing both my reading glasses and the 3.5X Poundshop readers my eyes were protected). It turned out that my trusty old steel wire brush, decades old now had finally given up the ghost and as illustrated in Photo 10 had reached the technical condition known as ‘Addit’! (Also known as knackered!) I do have some brass wire equivalents but I’ve found that they just won’t strip the lacquer off that tuna tin – it has to be the steel variety. There was a time when you could pop into your local model or hobby shop and buy a single wire brush like this but nowadays you have to purchase a set of three – this one, a cylindrical shaped one and a cone shape too. I bought a set just to be able to carry on, but I’ve also been on ebay and ordered a set of ten circular brushes from China for the rest of the work. Cost: £1.79 for the set of three from the local Toolshed store and £4.50-ish for the ten from China (free p&p) Photo 11 shows the finished right shoulder again after some sanding down to blend the putty into the arm and a little extra paring away of the Milliput under the armpit again. With this arm that metal plate is just clipped in position, I’ll be able to remove this one for spraying the primer, the left hand one will have to be masked off. Finally in Photo 12 we have Frederick with both arms on in a trial run together with his head. This is a rough idea of his stance, the shield will probably be tilted up a little more and the sword will be above the shield not resting on the top of it, (this was the only way I could get it to stay in place long enough to photograph it!) But it does give some idea of the position. Now I was going to carry on with the torso to completion before starting on the legs but on second thoughts I think it will be easier to get the legs under way and be able to test fit without worrying about handling the finished silver leaf and polished metalwork, so that will be the next major section. In the meantime I will be getting the leather straps put together for the arms and breastplates – once again to avoid marring the finished varnish.
It will take me a couple of weeks or so before I’ve got enough of the legs done to post it up so for the next instalment here’s one I did earlier – talking through the stages of making the 1/12th scale ring-mail!

Until then, Happy Modelling to you All!

Robin.
Plymouth57 attached the following image(s):
Shoulder Joints pic 1.JPG
Shoulder Joints pic 2.JPG
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
davetwin
#86 Posted : 30 September 2016 01:21:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Some more outstanding work Robin.

It's quite exciting waiting to see what you do next BigGrin Cool
ModelMania
#87 Posted : 01 October 2016 09:12:09

Groups:

Excellent work yet again Robin, great to see all the various parts now beginning to come together and I love the way that it all looks in the final photo.

Very well done, looking forward to seeing Frederick fully kitted out in his chain-mail and armour later in the year!! Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Plymouth57
#88 Posted : 02 October 2016 20:32:16

Many thanks again to Dave and Kev! Before I begin the actual construction of the mail, here's a short history of the mail and the thought processes I went through to find the final technique I'll be using on the model. (So unfortunately this is one of the longer bits of text again - sorry!)

Ring Mail Part 1: The History Lesson

First of all, there is actually no such thing as “Chain Mail”! (Ooops, sorry Kev!BigGrin ) The correct term is “Ring Mail” although simply “Mail” or “Maille” is equally valid. The term ‘Chain Mail’ as with so many other inaccuracies of a historical nature was provided by the Victorians and their overly romantic notions of Medieval Knights! The invention of the first real mail is generally attributed to the Celts of Gaul who passed the concept on to the Romans during their battles with the early Republic in the north of Italy (during this period before the rise of Rome, northern Italy was actually a part of Gaul!) There was another form of armour called “Ring Armour” which may have predated true ring mail, this consisted of individual metal rings sown onto a fabric or leather garment – the rings were touching each other but not actually linked together. From the Romans who nicked it from the Celts, mail passed to the Middle East and on to the Persians and from them to India (where mail remained a principal form of armour until the arrival of the British who had long since discovered that mail doesn’t stop bullets and set about putting that knowledge to good use! From India mail spread to China and eventually to Japan, in fact, mail was about the only western military concept to be adopted by the Chinese who generally had exported weaponry to everybody else (though not intentionally in most cases). The Mongols also knew all about mail from contact with Eastern Europe but generally found it too heavy to fit in with their light cavalry tactics. The mail fringes used by the first tank crews in the Great War were actually first developed for general use by the front line infantry. A mail visor was designed to hang from the front rim of the Brodie helmet but proved too unpopular with the Tommies who didn’t like squinting through the mail down their rifle sights (despite the fact that trials proved it was very efficient at stopping a 1oz lump of shrapnel fired from 100 yards away!)Blink
The first photo at top left illustrates the ‘real thing’ (sort of). This is my steel mail Coif, a head, neck and shoulder defence made of butted rings. (Weighs a flipping ton I can tell you!) This type of mail is referred to as 1 in 4 (or 4 in 1) and consists of every ring being linked to four others. This was by far the most common form of medieval mail throughout Europe. Butted mail was the cheapest form of this defence and, as reported in an earlier post could stop an edged weapon sufficiently to make wearing it worthwhile but was totally useless against projectile weapons. The best mail was either welded or riveted, with the earliest ‘coats of mail’ or Hauberks being made of alternate rows of riveted and whole rings – the riveted rings being made out of drawn wire, the whole rings from punching the ring out of a sheet of iron or steel. Later however, mail became made from purely riveted rings (cheaper to produce!)
End of the history session…BigGrin
I had already been trying out many methods of making the individual rings to scale as you’ll see later in this section but just to see if the Edwardians had beaten me to it I wanted to try and get hold of a vintage Edwardian Ladies ‘Chainmail’ Purse. I’d tried a few bids on ebay but always got outbid right at the end until this one came up (bottom left photo). The auction was due to end mid afternoon on a Sunday so I made sure I was ‘live’ and ready to make a last minute bid – and I won it! Including p&p this little gem cost me £8.50Cool . Unfortunately there are two reasons why I can’t use it for this model – the first reason will be explained later but the second one is simply that I just don’t have the heart to destroy such a beautiful piece of work! I know these things were machine made as far as the mail is concerned (and I’d love to find out how the machines made it) but it’s just so lovely I can’t ruin it. But as I said, more on this item later!
The diagram in the centre illustrates the three methods of using the rings to achieve the impression of the mail. In actual fact I eventually developed a fourth method to make the job a little easier but I’ll come to that in due course – this is how the methods evolved! In all cases, the first examples of the mail effect are shown applied to the leg of the other Imai kit that I made all those years ago.
The first trial was the one at the top: a simple two layer effect with the four rings glued down to the base layer and the fifth ring placed in the middle of the other four (Method A on the right). In actual fact, this technique didn’t look all that bad and if I hadn’t developed it further I would probably have gone with this. For Method B I took a leaf from the art of ‘sculpting’ mail as found on various Fantasy figure modelling websites. In sculpting the mail effect, a tool fashioned into a ‘U’ shape is used to imprint a line of half rings into the modelling putty with each succeeding line reversed in direction. Now to be honest, I’d never really found that mail appears in lines but saying that, if you look again at the photo of the real thing – it actually does!Blushing Anyway, as in the middle diagram I stuck two rows of rings in place with each ring slightly overlapping the one put on before it – (Method B). This was my least favourite technique as although the lines are evident, the rings just don’t look interlinked together. The method I eventually decided on is shown in the bottom Diagram (Method C) although, as mentioned earlier, I altered this to a Method D later. This method is the closest I could actually get to a ‘real’ mail and consists of, just as in the real thing, four rings joined together by a fifth. When applied to the model this gave a real impression of linked rings (probably because they were!) The problem was, try as I might (and I really did try!) I simply couldn’t join any units of five rings together using another joining ring – the things are just too small and too ‘wobbly’ to get them to co-operate. As you will see in the next instalment I did manage to get a little ‘stiffening’ of the units to take place but still wasn’t able to join them together. So what we have here are a few groups of five rings ‘joined’ by a single separate ring to give the impression of the full mail. To give some idea of just how fiddly these things are, that section of mail in Method C measures 7mm from top to bottom!Blink
So in the next instalment, how I made the ruddy rings!

Until then Happy Crosseyed Modelling to you All!

Robin.
Ring Mail pic.JPG
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Martyn Ingram
#89 Posted : 02 October 2016 20:43:46

BigGrin flipping heck Robin I have made full size chainmail and that was hard enough but in that scale Blink wow hats off to you looking forward to seeing your next update Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
ModelMania
#90 Posted : 06 October 2016 11:06:11

Groups:

Excellent work on your 'Ring' Mail Robin, this is definitely going to be something special when you've finished it and well done you for pushing the build as far as you can with regards to reality and authenticity - that's what makes a good model great?!

Very well done my friend, looking forward to the next instalment already!! Cool Drool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Plymouth57
#91 Posted : 09 October 2016 20:55:50

Many thanks again to Martyn and Kev, much appreciated as always!Blushing I once made a mail Coif out of Screwfix split-rings, it wasn't easy either!BigGrinIn this scale it almost makes you cross-eyed!Blink

So here’s how it went! Photo 1 shows the raw material used in the production of the rings – the same sized electrical wire I used for the masses of barbed wire in the Messines diorama. The wire I was using then was 7/0.2 or in English, seven strands of copper wire each one being 0.2mm in diameter. This particular wire however is 16/0.2 or sixteen strands. In case you’re wondering why the copper wire is silver, each strand is also tin-plated. In Photo 2 the process is under way with an individual strand of the wire being wound tightly around a 1mm brass rod held firmly in the mini vice. When I first started trying out this method, I could make the wire coils with no problems but was finding it very hard to cleanly cut the coil up into rings, my smallest pair of electrical snips would cut the coil two or three rings at a time but would squash the ends of the wire whilst doing so. What I needed was the smallest, sharpest pair of mini scissors I could find and as with so many other very useful things, I found it on ebay! Photo 3 illustrates those scissors. Called Micro Scissors or Snips on some sites these brilliant little things are also very useful for cutting round decals and especially snipping off excess rigging thread. Be warned though, I recently bought this year’s copy of a well known model supplies catalogue and found these self same snips in there for well over ten pounds, as I said, I bought mine on ebay, and the price was less than five!Cool
In Photo 4 we have the resulting coil of wire after removal from the brass rod. Using the micro-snips I then start at one end of the coil and gently squeeze the snips handles to cut cleanly through the wire (this photo was taken way back when I first got the snips and before I began making longer and longer coils! – Photo 5) What we are left with then is a great pile of individual rings looking like the miniscule one perched on my index finger tip in Photo 6. Despite the size of the Micro-snips, the rings are still opened out slightly by the cutting action as you can see here, plus, they also have a slight ‘curve’ due to them being cut from a coil. In the full size mail, the individual rings would now be flattened by the armourer giving them a good wallop on the anvil – in my case, placing them on the jaw of a pair of long nose flat pliers and giving a good squeeze produces the same effect as shown in Photo 7. The next job is the most fiddly part of the process so far – using a good pair of sharp pointed tweezers the ring is placed on to a flat hard surface (usually the worktop) and the two ends of the ring are gently and carefully squeezed together to form a perfect circle. Usually this goes without a hitch but it has to be done in stages, as sometimes the ends will come together unevenly. In this case it is necessary to spin the ring around until the uneven end can be gripped in such a way as to force it in more than the other one until they both meet. Occasionally they don’t meet and overlap – then its time to ditch that ring and start another. Eventually we end up with a collection of good rings as shown in Photo 8 (up against the traditional penny). Now comes the really fiddly bit!
The first thing is to pick up a single ring (usually just by a quick lick on the finger tip and touching the ring on the work top) then, I have to find out where the join is. For many of the rings this is pretty easy but for those which went together perfectly it often means using even more powerful magnifiers – you literally cannot see anything other than a continuous metal hoop! Once I have found the join, I then have to grip the ring over that joint using the fine pointed tweezers as shown in Photo 9 – the black line marks the point at which the join is located. Still holding the ring in the tweezers I then have to grip the ring again, this time with the coarser spring tweezers, gripping onto the ring on the opposite side from the join as seen in Photo 10 – this time the black arrow marks the join. The whole reason for this procedure is to fix the ring to prevent it from opening up again during the construction of the mail. The real thing achieves this by riveting the ring closed – sorry, my optics don’t go that far down! In my case, the rings are soldered closed, this is why the tiny ring has to be held firmly with the join outer most. Using the soldering iron and the smallest smear of solder possible, the iron is held against the ring until the solder adheres to the metal and then the iron is taken away leaving an ultra thin solder joint – any excess solder just looks like the riveted part on the full sized ring, a collection of the soldered rings can be seen in Photo 11. From the fiddly bit we move on to the frustratingly even more fiddlier bit! Taking one of the flattened but un-closed rings it is gripped in the spring tweezers as close to the centre as possible. This then allows four soldered rings to be carefully ‘hooked’ over the open horns of the ring as illustrated in Photo 12. This particular shot shows the gripped ring after it too has been gently squeezed into the closed position and itself soldered shut. This is a lot more difficult than the other four rings as they were squeezed together on a flat surface, this joining ring has to be closed up ‘in situ’ on the end of the tweezers and with the other four rings doing their best to get in the way of course!Crying Now that the group of five rings are fixed together, they now have to be gently prodded and pulled into position using a sharp cocktail stick until they are evenly placed around the central link, once there, the large aluminium knife handle is used to press down on the group to flatten them out as shown in Photo 13. Two such groups are shown in Photo 14 placed onto the sticky side of some FrogTape masking tape, this was part of an experiment to try and stiffen the groups up by giving them a light coat of Humbrol Gloss Acrylic Varnish. This was not entirely successful however as the thin varnish would always get down into the tiny spaces where the rings interlock and when removed from the tape these spaces would bring the tape adhesive with them giving an opaque effect which ruins the 3D effect of the rings. To glue the ring groups to the model I used the bottle of Daler Rowney Soluble Matt VarnishFor Acrylic Colour’ (as it says on the label) which I bought thinking I could airbrush the Spitfires in the Scramble diorama – its soluble all right, but only with spirits – not water as I thought! It is a lovely matt varnish though, and goes very sticky as it dries and it’s this stickiness, which I’m using to fix the rings in place. Firstly I apply a fairy thick coat of the varnish to the base and then, trying to keep the group of rings in their ‘flattened’ state, pick them up with the end of the varnish dipped paintbrush and drop them into position on the model. This is where it either goes right and the set of rings ends up just where I wanted it or else the group suddenly folds up into a right mess of rings sticking out all over the place from a tight metal ‘ball’. This isn’t the end of the world however, it is possible to tease the rings around with a combination of the paintbrush tip and cocktail sticks but it is extremely difficult, the number of times I’ve had it ‘almost’ right only to try and get it perfect and end up with the varnish on the brush or cocktail stick reaching the sticky phase and lifting the whole group off completely is nobody’s business! It was during one of my ‘contemplative’ episodes that I suddenly thought of the final technique I’m now using which is illustrated in the centre diagram – instead of using groups of five rings, I’m now using smaller groups of three. It’s still a real headache to get them to lie flat in the varnish, but at least now its only three fifths of the headache it was before! The effect of this arrangement can be seen in the final Photo 15. As you can see, I still manage to get that all-important ‘linked’ effect but with less swearing and cursing than before. The group of test rings shown here is composed of three sets of the triple links.
The main thing this experimentation has taught me is that it is really important to work in lines of link-groups. You can’t cover a large(ish) area in one go, as applying the later rings simply means they get stuck to the earlier ones and pull them off, or at the least, out of position. Its going to be a case of do a line of links up against the armour then let them dry completely before starting the next group butting up against them. The next time you see this procedure in action it’ll be on the actual model – and it’s going to be a long slow process!!Blink
In the next instalment, beginning the legs.

Robin.
Starting the ring mail pic 1.JPG
Starting the ring mail pic 2.JPG
Starting the ring mail pic 3.JPG
ModelMania
#92 Posted : 11 October 2016 22:15:27

Groups:

Bloomin 'eck Robin, now that's what I call pursuit of perfection!! 1mm diameter ring mail, all hand made, individually soldered and applied in small batches? Heaven knows how many individual rings you are going to have to make to cover the bits of the figure that need it. Are you nuts old boy?!! Blink Huh

Seriously though mate, I admire your dedication and skill and I honestly believe that this is the one part of the build that will take this model from a very good model to something really special and I can't wait to see the finished article, it should be awesome. Drool Drool Cool ThumpUp

I like doing some scratchbuilding myself as you well know Robin, but you are definitely a braver man than me on this one. I would have just made up some sort of resin stamp and applied a ring texture all over a layer of putty, but it would look nothing like as realistic as I think yours will.

Very well done mate, I'm looking forward to the next bit with great anticipation. Wishing you good luck and I hope that your eyes will eventually recover after this assault without too much damage!! Blink Blink

Kev Smile
davetwin
#93 Posted : 12 October 2016 13:56:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I'm sorry to say Robin but you're completely insane Flapper LOL LOL

Seriously though, you're skill and dexterity working with such tiny parts is awe inspiring. Your work is always so neat and tidy too Drool Love Cool
Plymouth57
#94 Posted : 14 October 2016 20:40:49

Nuts? Completely insane? OK, who's been blabbing? This was supposed to be confidential medical information!!LOL LOL LOL

I think you're probably right though, you have no idea how many times I've wondered why I didn't go down the sculpted putty route!! I only wish I was just a little more dexterous, enough to be able to join those ring sections together into larger areas - it was just too infuriatingly fiddly (and the neighbours were complaining about the language too!!)Blink

The legs are coming along though! Cool

Robin.
Plymouth57
#95 Posted : 16 October 2016 19:51:05

Just an apology - I've been having a bit of trouble with with my internet connection tonight - got halfway through posting this instalment and the page crashed - so I'll post this tonight and do most of the highlighting and grammar work tomorrow!Blushing (Finally finished Tue 25 Oct!!)

Before beginning the description of re-modelling Frederick’s legs, I forgot to include a specific photo in the section on the ring mail! As I mentioned in that instalment, there were two reasons why I couldn’t use my newly acquired Edwardian ‘chainmail’ purse – the first was simply I couldn’t bear to ruin such a beautiful piece of work, here’s the second as illustrated in Photo 1. In the centre of the photo is a section of the 1/12th scale mail as made up in the last chapter (sitting on the penny) in the background is the ‘other’ mail – not the full sized version pictured earlier but the intricate mini-mail from the ladies purse! As you can see, a little oversized for what I need but perfect for a 1/6th scale figure (Action Man sized) – which is why I’m still looking for some cheaply priced damaged mail purses or bags – something I wouldn’t feel guilty about cutting up!Blink
As far as Frederick’s stance is concerned, I was in two minds, either to have him bracing himself towards the impacting crossbow bolts hitting his shield or else the opposite, recoiling away from the force of impact. Both versions would only require ‘surgery’ on one of the legs to put in a slight bend at the knee, bracing would require the left leg to bend, recoiling would need the right. In the even I decided on the recoil for a little more dramatic effect. In Diagram 2 we have the leg instructions from the Imai kit itself, a quite simple set up with just two basic leg halves, two inner foot bits, two outer armoured ‘boots’ or Sabatons (plus the ridiculous winkle pickers) together with a single knee joint protector and a movable hip joint. Construction begins with the movable inner foot pieces shown in Photo 3 with one having been glued together and the other still in two halves. The two hip joints would need some altering before they were encased inside the leg halves. Like the shoulder joints, these were designed to be secured in a glue-less joint within the two halves of the torso but as I was gluing the torso right from the start, the inner flange would have to be cut and sanded away, converting this joint into a simple ‘plug’ to be glued in place later. One of the hip joints is seen converted in Photo 4. Moving on to the two leg halves, I decided to work on the non-bent left leg first, the two halves of which are shown still on the sprue in Photo 5. Note all those moulded on straps, all of which have to be sanded down and replaced later on with real leather versions. Note especially that double ‘rim’ effect at the top of the lower leg armour or Greave. I had assumed that this was in fact some fancy design on the armour itself – further checking of the reference photos however revealed that there was actually a leather strap there so I cut away the top rim – only to find out then it was the bottom rim which was the strap (the armour was moulded with a rivet on the lower one which should have been a clue!)Blushing Not to worry though, in actual fact this mistake has proved quite useful, as you’ll see later. Photo 6 shows another of the moulded straps, this one down at ankle level. Before any alterations can begin, the first job is to actually glue the two halves of the legs together. The foot and hip joints were pressed into position as shown in Photo 7 and then the two halves were glued in place using Revell Contacta liquid poly glue as in Photo 8. As you can see in that photo, we are left with a quite prominent seam line. Photo 9 illustrates the beginning of the clean up process with the left leg looking a little better than the right with the diamond dust files and fine sandpaper used in the clean up laying alongside. The real work can now proceed with the removal of the moulded on straps (marked by ‘x’ in Photo 10). As shown previously, the ends of the straps are drilled out before sanding away in order to replace the moulded rivet with a brass one later. Photo 11 shows the left leg closest with the straps sanded down and the ‘unstarted’ right leg behind. Note on the top leg that double strap moulding and on the bottom leg I’ve ground away what I thought was the strap (but actually wasn’t!) This is shown more clearly in Photo 12 on the half leg whilst it was still on the sprue: a) is the part I thought was a strap or a fancy double rim to the greave whilst b) is the actual strap and c) is the calf position strap. These correspond with the actual armour shown in Photo 13. You can see the error in Photo 14 along with the unaltered right leg – I’ve ground away a) after drilling a hole for the rivet which should of course be in line with b), c) is correct though!BigGrin I’ve finally managed to find a better photo of the knee area, which shows the correct positioning of the straps etc, this is shown in Photo 15. So, with the ‘ehem’ errors discovered it was time to put them right before carrying on. The first task was to fill in the incorrect rivet holes, actually the very first task was to drill in the correct ones! Then I filled in the first set by the simple use of a short bit of sprue from the kit itself. This was heated over the tea-light candle and once softened, stretched out by about six inches. For once however, I wasn’t after the thin filament of stretched sprue – it was the two ends which are normally discarded after stretching. As you can see in Photo 16, I cut off the thin bit about an inch and a half from the end and gently pushed the point into the wrongly drilled hole until it fitted snugly in. I then marked where it came to the edge of the hole, and snipped off the excess leaving about a quarter inch beyond the mark. A quick dab of Humbrol Liquid Poly on the pencil mark and the ‘prong’ was pushed back into the hole and left to dry for a few hours. Once the welded plug was completely set the protruding part was sliced off with a sharp knife and the filled in hole sanded back smooth with very fine sandpaper as seen in Photo 17. This photo also shows the missing top of the greave and the lower moulded strap, which has now been sanded down flush with the armour. The missing part of the armour has now been re-created using a simple little sliver of the tuna tin metal (which you will see in the next instalment). Not only does this replace the ground away plastic original but it also provides a much more 3D effect in this area than the moulded part did before. So you can see, sometimes a mistake is just another unplanned improvement!Blink
In the next instalment, continuing with the alterations to the right leg and some drilling and filing to Frederick’s ‘battle boots’!

Robin.
Re-modelling the legs pic 1.JPG
Re-modelling the legs pic 2.JPG
Re-modelling the legs pic 3.JPG
Plymouth57
#96 Posted : 27 October 2016 20:40:23

Apologies for the delay in this instalment, unfortunately I’ve been doing more caring than modelling for a few days. I came home later than usual on Friday last after my caring job for another oldie and found my Mum laying on the floor in the lounge! She’d been there for over two hours in great pain after trying to pull the curtains over (she suffers from glaring lights after having two cataracts removed a few years ago) Not being able to reach the pull cord the silly Mum climbed up onto the armchair to reach and fell off, cracking her ribs on the opposite chair. After checking her for spinal injuries I got her up on the settee and warmed up before calling 111 who sent a Paramedic to check her over. Fortunately no serious injuries, oxygen sats and bp were fine etc and no point going to A&E as they no longer strap up rib injuries or even x-ray if there’s no other clinical signs or bleeding. I just had to go and get a course of codeines for her for the pain. She’s still having a lot of discomfort when getting up and down from sitting and on the bed but is otherwise doing very well for an 88 yr old. I’ve been re-learning a lot of cooking skills in the last few days (and a hatred of washing up afterwards!!) and it would appear that the stress of the situation has really triggered off a bout of the dreaded IBS again – fortunately the loo is just at the bottom of the attic steps!Blink
But anyway, here we are back again!
Carrying on from the last instalment, Photo 18 shows the new ‘top part’ of Frederick’s lower leg or Greave armour made up from the tuna tin metal. The new leather strap will be immediately below this section. As you can see, I polished this piece of tin up first before cutting it to size. I haven’t decided yet whether this will be left polished and grey-blue washed or just sprayed matt black with the rest of the leg and then silver leafed – probably the latter as that wouldn’t require masking off – although, if trying the Humbrol Maskol on the polished metal works out well – who knows! (This is the left leg by the way). It’s back to the right leg in Photos 19 and 20. This is the one which is going to be cut, so that the knee can ‘bend’ a little. Photo 19 shows the leg ‘as is’, I have removed the upper Greave section to mirror the left leg but haven’t filed off the calf strap yet. The socket in the middle is for the side extension piece to the Poleyn or knee cap joint, the socket will be left intact but the strap joined on to it will be ground away. Photo 20 illustrates the cut line to be followed. Unlike the arms and elbows where I was able to cut away the plates with an Exacto Razor Saw, in this instance there is such a small, fine section to be removed I’ll be cutting through the plastic by using a safety razor blade in its handle and ‘rocking’ it along the line of the armour plate until it eventually cuts through. Once the Poleyn is cut away I can then follow the top line of the knee strap as shown here which, together with a tiny right angle cut will sever the entire upper and lower leg sections apart, the opposite side is a straight cut along the strap with no right angle.
When the two halves are separated, I will then remove a small wedge from the mailed area (shown by the yellow section) to allow the leg to bend in slightly. In Photo 21 the dirty deed has been accomplished, the leg has been severed along the cut line but the mail area has not yet been sliced down. In this shot, note the thickness of the plastic at the top of the knee armour. The mail has been sliced back in Photo 22 allowing the knee to bend a little, as shown here, also now apparent is the gap which needs to be filled with the metal replacement for the upper Poleyn plate, this is the one which was sliced through and in the ‘straight leg’ position is mostly hidden behind the knee cap part, with the leg bent however, more of it is revealed. The remains of the moulded plate can be seen here, this will need to be filed and sanded down smooth with the thigh plate or Cuisse (after first drilling a hole where the moulded rivet sits ready for a brass pin replacement.) Unfortunately, it is far easier to make metal armour plates that fit over a plastic original than it is to fit them under the kit part. This little blighter has to fit under so the first job is to drastically reduce the thickness of the knee cap part. This is underway in Photo 23 with still more plastic to come off yet! There is no need to reduce the thickness of the back face of the leg of course, in fact, the thicker this part is the more plastic there will be to glue the joint together with. The replacement upper knee plate is shown being drawn out in Photo 24, for some reason I can’t quite figure out, despite making up a card former as shown here, cut to size so it bends around correctly and then transferring that shape to the metal, I always seem to have to trim the metal version down, sometimes by quite a margin to get the final piece right!Confused Anyhow, the ‘right piece’ is shown in Photos 25 and 26 from top and bottom views with the plate fixed in place temporarily with a long brass rod, bent at the end to simulate the brass pin-rivets which will eventually fit through the holes. Photo 27 looks very similar, but if you look closely inside the knee, you can just make out that the inside is flooded with a layer of freshly made epoxy glue which is in the process of setting, gluing the metal plate and the plastic body securely together. Once the epoxy was firmly set overnight, the next task is to test fit the upper and lower leg halves together. As I mentioned earlier, the metal plate has to fit inside of the plastic part so what followed was a game of test and adjust, each time gently ‘nipping’ the edge of the metal piece inwards with the long nosed needle pliers whilst keeping the overall shape in line with the original until, in Photo 28 it finally fitted inside the plastic knee cap. At this point I realised that the plate was a little too long (or high depending on how it was viewed) so the excess was ground back using the rotary tool with a diamond dust wheel followed by more bending and fitting. In this photo the two halves of the leg are just pushed together, I needed to get the final position sorted before I could begin the final job of gluing the two halves together. Once the angle was just about right I used my little mini Rolson angle finder thingy (it must have a proper name but I haven’t got a clue what it is – oh! Hang on, the Hobby’s catalogue is right behind me – it’s called a ‘Sliding Bevel’!) I really wish I could find my Tri-Square from the same set, it’s really annoying where that’s gone! Anyway, by sliding out the ‘blade’ and just tightening the locking nut I could form the bevel into the same angle that the leg is set to as shown in Photo 29. Once set the blade was fully locked in place and a section of kit sprue was cut and heated to bend it into the same angle as is shown here. When the sprue had cooled off and set, I cut the excess off leaving just enough to insert into the two halves of the leg, filed a flat onto the ‘back’ portion and then dribbled enough liquid poly glue over the flattened portion to glue it into the lower leg section, attaching it to the inside of the calf area as seen in Photo 30. Due to the amount of glue used here I then allowed the sprue to dry overnight before repeating the procedure with the upper leg half at the same time applying the poly to the mailed area behind the knee, the final appearance is shown in Photo 31, I still have to file off that ankle strap and there’s a small hole to be Milliputted later.
The last task to be done before the legs can be finally attached to the torso is Frederick’s armoured boots or Sabatons. This is one of the few areas of this kit where the manufacturer has cut some corners as far as detail goes. The kit Sabaton is composed of two pieces shown in Photo 32, this plastic is extremely slippery to grip, especially when the two pieces are as small as these! As you can see, there is a prominent lug or pin sticking out (on both halves) and this is designed to fit within the slot visible on the ‘foot’ shown in Photo 31. Whilst most of the details are correctly moulded on, the top of the Sabaton is not a simple straight edge as modelled here and shown by the first yellow arrow in Photo 33, but is in fact a very complicated ‘pierced’ design as shown by the corresponding arrow on the actual armour in Photo 34. Also evident here is that the ‘lip’ where the design is found is not as high as it should be. There’s not much I can do about the lip but it won’t detract at all from the finished figure, I can try and do something about that flat top however and that will be the subject of the next instalment!(Mummies permitting!BigGrin )

Robin.
Re-modelling the legs pic 4.JPG
Re-modelling the legs pic 5.JPG
Re-modelling the legs pic 6.JPG
Martyn Ingram
#97 Posted : 28 October 2016 05:07:51

Crying Sorry to hear about your mum Robin and hope she feels better soon Mellow

Yet another stunning update brilliantly done my friend Cool look after your self m8.

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
ModelMania
#98 Posted : 29 October 2016 19:39:41

Groups:

I seem to have missed the previous update Robin, but caught up now and great work being done in both instalments. It always amazes me how you go to such great lengths to achieve the perfect fit and poses in the individual parts, of both the standard kit parts and the scratchbuilt pieces? Very well done my friend, making great progress and looking good!! Cool ThumpUp

Hope your mum is recovering well Robin and well done to you for taking such great care of her. We all love our mums (or should do) and they absolutely deserve to be loved and cared for in every way possible by their children. ThumpUp

Kev Smile
ian smith
#99 Posted : 03 November 2016 14:02:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Robin.
Fantastic work and some really nice attention to detail. look forward to seeing more. Ian Cool Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Plymouth57
#100 Posted : 06 November 2016 21:27:24

Grateful thanks to Martyn, Kev and Ian! Mum is doing much better now after a little set back a week after her fall - she rolled over on to the injured side during the night and was crippled up again the following morning!Crying She's much easier now though!BigGrin
Couldn't agree with you more about caring for our Mums Kev, parents have always been the source of knowledge and experience for the younger generations. Looking after the 'oldies' was always the highest duty for the young - a duty that sadly seems to be slipping away in our selfish 'want it all, want it now' population.Crying

Anyway, enough politicking (damn their eyes!)

As mentioned in the last instalment, the biggest problem with trying to work on the two halves of the Sabatons was that they were so darned slippery! Fot the first one I eventually ended up sticking down a strip of masking tape sticky side up and squeezing the two parts together on that as I tried to drill out the first three holes in the top (Photo 35). This worked reasonably well although trying to drill a small hole between two separate bits of plastic is not the easiest job in the world, the result is shown in Photo 36. After some cleaning up of the rough edges, the top edge had the appearance of the pierced design as you can just make out in Photo 39. The task was so fiddly however, for the other foot I decided ‘to heck with that’ and glued the two halves together first, intending to simply cut back the locating lugs later to fit the finished boot onto the foot inner. Once set, this made drilling the three holes much easier (and more accurate) as you can see in Photos 37 and 38. In Photo 39 the left foot has been glued together on the inner section as per the kit instructions and the joint has been sanded down smooth. You can also see that the toe has been altered! More on that later! Before the ‘toe job’ however, Photos 40 to 42 illustrates the range of movement and the underside of the foot in the standard kit construction.
Somehow, even though the holes on the Mk2 foot were more even than the first one, when it came to filing out the pattern something went wrong and one half of it broke off! Deciding that there was no way I could glue that small a piece back and be able to sand it smooth as well, I decided to cut away the filed design and make up something a little better – this meant of course also removing the other foot’s work as well so they would match up! The method I came up with is illustrated in Photos 43 and 44, a quite simple procedure using an off cut of scrap plasticard. By drilling out two very small holes very close to the edge of the card we can create a sort of ‘Y’ shape, quite close to the original design. Being so close to the edge, it even forms a curved ‘bulge’ at the top, which only requires some gentle filing down with a triangular diamond dust file in the centre to form the finished shape. The first attempt looked so promising that I cut off the strip of card and used it as a template to drill out the proper pieces on the remainder of the card (seen below). All that needed doing then was to cut out the ‘Y’ by slicing through the two arched ‘wings’ and half way up the central ‘stalk’ as shown in Photo 44. For an idea of the size of these things, one is shown beside the proverbial penny in Photo 45.
Returning to the altered toes, whilst researching this particular suit of armour, I came across a snippet of information that I had never realised before – the humble wingnut! I had thought these things were a relatively modern invention, probably thought up by the Victorians or at least in the early Industrial Revolution, but no! The wingnut dates back at least to the Middle Ages and possibly even back to the Romans as far as I know! The reason I found this out was when I realised that Frederick’s winkle-pickers were removable. If you look closely at Photos 46 and 47, you can clearly see that the long pointed part is joined on to the main Sabaton by a threaded bolt with a wingnut on the end (shown by the arrows). In fact, looking closely at the box top art this is clearly shown in the painting too. The ridiculous points were intended to impress in the tournaments of the day – they would be completely impractical on the battlefield and would be removed by unscrewing the wingnut, pulling the bolt out and lifting the whole articulated contraption away. This is what I have attempted to model here, first by sanding off the bolt and wingnut and drilling a hole through where they appeared and then filing down the front of the toes to create a lower face over which the bolted on points would have fitted. This can be seen in the final Photo 48, which also shows the tiny ‘Y’s glued onto the filed down stubs of the first attempts on the Sabatons. Once the whole boot is silver leafed they should blend in quite well (Just have to be very careful not to knock them off!) What I forgot to mention was that I didn't have to file down the locating pins on the second Sabaton after all, when I was trying it out to see how much I would have to remove, the glued (and sanded) joint split apart so I was able to simply re-glue the two halves over the inner foot section the same as the first one (and re-sand it smooth of course!)BigGrin
In the next instalment, gluing on Frederick’s legs at last and some more Milliputting (and Frederick gets to stand on his own two feet at last!)

Robin.
Re-modelling the legs pic 7.JPG
Re-modelling the legs pic 8.JPG