Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<567
Frederick the Victorious and the Battle of Seckenheim 1462 Options
ModelMania
#121 Posted : 23 December 2016 11:30:54

Groups:

Excellent stuff Robin, some very neat gilding I must say and the new metallic look to the plastic parts really enhances the look of the ring mail too - very well done my friend!! Cool ThumpUp

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to both you and your mum Robin and thankyou for making 2016 such an interesting journey through the terminology and history of "ye anciente arte" of medieval warfare - it's been great fun!! Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
ian smith
#122 Posted : 23 December 2016 12:58:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Robin.
Cool Looks fantastic. another great update to give inspiration to us all of what can be done. keep the updates coming Ian. BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Plymouth57
#123 Posted : 03 January 2017 16:36:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Many thanks to Stevie, Kev and Ian and a belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you All!BigGrin
I agree Stevie, with the success of the Samurai armour I'd love to see more of the same - either full medieval or maybe the Roman Legionary plate armour (especially with the extra arm protection as seen in the opening battle in Gladiator)!Cool
And special thanks to Kev - I'm glad you've all enjoyed the history bits as much as I enjoyed researching them!BigGrin (even if it did mean extra work!!)Blink

Ok then, on with the silvering. In the last few days of his construction I discovered a little trick which made the 'tin work' a lot easier - if only I'd found that out much earlier I could have saved buying more wire brushes!Blushing

Carrying on from the last instalment, Photo 7 illustrates the legs again but this time after the application of the first light coat of Humbrol Blue-Grey Enamel Wash to remove the ‘shiny silver’ of the silver leaf and tone it down to a more authentic ‘steel’ effect. Another photo to come later, taken with the flash on, will show the difference between the two even clearer. As you can see here, even just the first coat does a great job of highlighting the rivets and hinges and accentuating the joins in the different armour plates. Also visible in this shot are the first of the skived leather straps with their brass wire buckles, filed down brass pins for the securing rivets and the first of the re-modelled tuna tin plates on the bottom of the skirt section, wire-brushed and polished up ready to receive its own coat of enamel wash later. Photo 8 shows the still headless Frederick with his leg armour now fully washed with all the remaining leather straps installed. The main torso has now begun its gilding with the skirt panels and the upper section of the breastplate now bright and shiny. The front metal skirt bottom plate has also been added in at this point. The meeting point of both these metal sections can be seen in Photo 9 which also has the entire breast and back plates fully gilded, again, the difference between the washed and unwashed gilded areas can be seen. Note also the sets of pre-drilled holes in the skirt sections, these will be fitted with more filed down brass pins to simulate the brass rivets once the shiny silver leaf has all been enamel washed.
Photo 10 shows a close up of the work proceeding on Frederick’s right arm, by now the neck section or Bevor has finally been gilded, what looks like bare black primer is actually a reflection of something black in the background! I’m not exactly sure what it is – if the angle is right it might be my black Epson Ink Jet printer!BigGrin The hole in his elbow will shortly be covered over by the elbow protector thingy shown in Photo 11 (that’s why I didn’t bother filling it in!) That’s also why there are no mail rings in that area too, although if you look closely I did slip a couple in the cut out in the upper arm piece – I suspected that might just be visible once the elbow bit was on. Although the upper face of the protector is still in black primer in this shot, the underside was gilded before the piece was glued in place. Finally, in Photo 12 we have one of the sneaky ‘short-cuts’ to speed up the ring mail production. Everywhere that the mail would be visible I used the ‘five ring’ technique together with individual rings to ‘fill in’ any gaps. Here however, most of Frederick’s upper shoulders will be covered by the previously constructed metal Pauldrons. For that reason, I was able to simplify the mail in this area – I had to have something that ‘looked like’ mail in case anyone tried to peek up inside (as they always do!) but for speed I could simply butt the rings up together without spending the time to link them up as with the majority of the mail elsewhere.
In the next instalment; finishing the mail (at last!) and adding on the new plates.

Until then, Happy Modelling and a Happy New Year to you All!

Robin.

Plymouth57 attached the following image(s):
Gilding continued pic.JPG
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
ModelMania
#124 Posted : 04 January 2017 10:02:24

Groups:

Hello Robin, hope you and your mum had a good Christmas and I wish you both a Happy New Year (with no falls or ailments)!! ThumpUp

More excellent work on the gilding Robin and nicely toned down by your blue/grey wash, it really does give a nice 'steely' look to the tuna tin material and your ring mail is coming on very nicely too - really looks convincing, well done. Hard to imagine that this started as a very plastic looking kit that broadly resembled a knight, looks very metallic and realistic now though, a great testament to your modelling skills Robin, well done again. Cool ThumpUp

I am a little disappointed that you've used such terms as "the elbow protector thingy" in your post though? I thought you knew all of the original names for the various elements in a suit of armour. My education on all things medieval now has a gap in it!! LOL Flapper ThumpUp

Well done mate, keep it coming. Will you be entering anything in this year's 'Build of the Year' competition? I hope so.

Kev Smile
Plymouth57
#125 Posted : 04 January 2017 22:40:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Many thanks for those kind wishes Kev! Christmas day was good but I really overdid the party food from Iceland and the IBS gave me hell overnight!Blink A Happy New Year to you and yours too.
With regards to the Elbow Protector Thingy, my sources of info on the medieval armour features a suit (or Harness) without such an item so I hadn't a clue what it was called BUT I've just got a diagram of a slightly later suit (Gothic style) and its called a Couter!BigGrin
Mind you, I've heard there is an authentic manuscript on the art of armouring in which the Squire is ordered to fetch his Knight that elbow protector thingy!LOL LOL LOL
I will be entering the BOTY soon, but this time using a medium I've never attempted before - Paper and Card! Just waiting for something to come from Poland Cool

More on Frederick soon!

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Plymouth57
#126 Posted : 15 January 2017 18:49:42

As I mentioned much earlier, I found the process of wire brushing the tuna tin sheets was very wearing on the steel brushes. The one I had had for many years (but very little used) was completely worn down by producing only a quarter of the necessary armour plates. I had ordered a pack of ten more brushes on Ebay from China but due to some mix up in the postal service (either their end or over here, I’ve no idea which) the ruddy things arrived a week after the build was completed – the company in China posted them the day after they were ordered!Crying In the meantime I managed to get another brush in a set of three from the local Toolshed shop, (only one was the circular disk kind that I wanted!) In the final stages of construction with only the right hand Pauldron and the lowest sections of the skirt to go, already made but awaiting the brushing and polishing, I discovered a little trick that would have made the whole process much easier (and quicker!)
As you can see in Photo 13, I experimented on a strip of unused tuna tin and discovered that the ‘steel’ looking finish on the inside of the tin can be burned away with the application of intense heat. I used my very handy Iroda micro-jet gizmo, bought from Maplin some years ago for less than a fiver, you just drop a disposable lighter into the handle and press down the trigger to turn the lighter into a high intensity gas jet – it’s a brilliant little tool and much cheaper to run than the commercial gas jet alternatives. After discovering that the steel effect is actually some kind of protective lacquer, once burnt away it becomes more brittle and can be wire brushed off far easier. The first part of the actual armour to ‘volunteer’ for the treatment was the bottom front section of the skirt as shown in Photo 14. This piece had already been half stripped down to the bare metal the old way (on the right hand side in this shot) so the heat was applied to the left hand side only. The lacquer has bubbled up and blackened as shown here. I was a little worried at this point as you can see that the heat has travelled across the metal into the polished side as far as that dark band just past the centre. There was no need for concern however (just as well!) as the band came off with wire brushing just as easily as the burnt lacquer.Cool This is being removed in Photo 15 and, after polishing up, the section was added on to Frederick in Photo 16. This is the one where the flash accidentally went off but this does serve to show the difference between the blue-grey enamel washed leg armour and the bare silver leafed torso much clearer. In the next shot in Photo 17, all the silver gilding has been given the first coat of the wash, whilst Photo 18 illustrates the leather leg straps placed in position over the mail, and attached to the plate armour with the filed down brass pins. The left shoulder was finally ‘mailed-up’ as shown in Photo 19, the difference in the appearance of the linked rings and simply butted rings can be seen clearly here, as can the metal ‘mini-Couter’ on the elbow which replaced the filed off moulded original. This was made ages ago, but was only able to be permanently fitted now.
Now came the fitting of the first of the Pauldron armour plate sets which, I have to admit, I made a complete pigs ear of completing! It ended up fine, but the second one was handled in what was almost the reverse of this one, and that was a doddle!Blushing In Photo 20, the thread for securing the Pauldron has been passed through the two small holes drilled in the breast and back plates and tied off inside. The thread itself was nicked from Victory’s stock of rigging threads, with the ends stiffened with super-glue before passing it through the holes. After a drop of super-glue on the knot, the loop was pulled back through the holes leaving the knotted end snug against the inside. The shoulder armour is secured to the torso by a leather strap which was riveted to the inside of the plates with a pair of holes punched in the end to take the threads (leather laces in the original I believe). The two leather straps are shown in Photo 21 with a couple of cut off brass pins to keep the holes open until needed. The straps were super-glued to the inside tops of the Pauldrons but before they could be attached it was necessary to first add on the under arm strap which holds the shoulder section in place against the rest of the armour. In Photo 22, the first of these straps is shown up against the Pauldron (this is actually the right shoulder piece as I forgot to take the photos for the first one!) Notice the improved rim to the bottom edge of the metal in all three of the next shots, since the super-glued rim of solder did come away during the polishing, I took the opportunity to try and ‘nip’ the rim into shape using the long nosed pliers instead – the result was a much more ‘in scale’ rim than the first attempt and came in really useful after I discovered the burning technique (the solder rim would NOT have appreciated that!BigGrin The yellow arrow points to the previously drilled tiny hole for the strap’s brass pin, shown fixed in place in Photo 23.
This is where it all got complicated. Try as I might, despite repeatedly stiffening the ends of the threads with super-glue, I just couldn’t get the things to pass back through the holes in the leather straps. In the end, on this first shoulder I applied super-glue to the inside of the leather strap, effectively turning it solid, and once dry drilled out two larger holes to get the threads through and tie them off as shown in Photo 24. As I mentioned before, it actually turned out I was doing the whole thing the wrong way round so in the next instalment we’ll see how it should have been done!!Blushing

Until then, Happy Modelling to you All!

Robin.
Gilding continued pic 2.JPG
Adding the Pauldrons pic 1.JPG
Plymouth57
#127 Posted : 22 January 2017 21:56:28

So here’s the other set of shoulder plates or Pauldron! In Photo 25 we have the full set of individual plates laid out on the miniature anvil. This set was prepared using the new heat treated method, before removing the temporary brass wires from each section, it was given a good blasting with the micro flame to burn off the varnish and then wire brushed followed up by polishing with the felt discs and polishing compound. Once each piece was nicely polished up it was then removed from the set and placed to one side before starting on the next piece in line.
Once all the sections had been finished off in this way, they were then riveted together using the same filed down brass pins as before, as shown in Photo 26. I must admit, this second Pauldron went together a lot quicker than the first one did! (Probably because that one was done one section at a time, not altogether in one go.) Photo 27 illustrates the much easier method for fixing the Pauldron to the breast and back plates. The big mistake I made with the first set was to fit it on to the rest of the armour in exactly the same way as the full size armour went together – ie, the laces were fixed to the armour and then the Pauldron was tied down on top. Whilst this seemed the logical way to do it, the small slippery scale Pauldron was a pain in the you know what, to hold in place, thread the laces through the leather strap and tie it down, all at the same time!Blink The answer was so obvious I didn’t see it until the second attempt – there is no need to put the thing together in the same order as the full sized one. As you can see in this shot, the lacing thread was inserted through the leather strap at the beginning of the procedure – the ends of the rigging thread were stiffened with super glue as before but because the armour is not resting on Frederick’s shoulder like the first time around, passing the threads through the leather was relatively easy. Once the threads were through as in this photo, they were then passed through the holes in the plastic torso and tied off inside the body. Then once secured, I could insert a sewing needle under the ‘loop’ of thread seen on the leather and gently pull it up whilst sliding the armour down the thread until the leather strap was flush against the torso. Then, the thread was cut at the top of the resulting loop and knotted together to secure the armour to the shoulder as shown in Photo 28. You can just make out the tied off thread at the top and the under arm leather strap is also in place. So much easier this way! Finally in Photo 29 Frederick’s mailed booties are under way, since this part is barely visible down at ground level I was able to use the simpler butted ring effect here too (although I did try to overlap a few of them to improve the look!)BigGrin
In the next instalment, adding the final sections of Frederick’s armour and a complete re-design of the armour hinges!

Robin.

Err, I've just realised that Photo 28 is actually the first left shoulder - looks the same though!Blushing
Adding the Pauldrons pic 2.JPG
davetwin
#128 Posted : 23 January 2017 20:36:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks Robin for continuing to update your build diary of this build.

I am still enjoying reading how you achieved what you did ThumpUp ThumpUp
Plymouth57
#129 Posted : 31 January 2017 18:27:05

You're very welcome Dave! And glad you are enjoying them still!Blushing Just a couple more or so to go I think then I can begin to plan out my BOTY attempt!Blink

Photo 1 shows the two versions of the lower rear skirt panels or Lames. The entire skirt section was called the Fauld in front and the Culet round the back, and in Frederick’s case there were five articulated ‘rings’ of steel so his armour was classed as “A Fauld of five Lames
The one on the left was the original one I made way back, based on the plastic kit part which was itself part of the single back portion of the torso. It wasn’t until nearly at the end that I discovered that this wasn’t in fact a single piece of steel as I’d thought but actually three separate sections. The two shaped ends were small hip guards, which were suspended over the main Lame (couldn’t avoid that one!)Blushing Anyway I had to re-make the large section to include the parts which run under the hip guards as shown here. The original piece was then snipped down to remove the hip pieces, which were then re-used. Photo 2 shows the central Lame again, in the process of getting fitted up with its two suspension leather straps which will secure it to the upper skirt section.
You may remember way back in the build I made up the torso hinges out of some of Mum’s eye ointment tubes (shown test fitted on the torso in Photo 3). Again, it wasn’t until much later with the benefit of clearer reference photos that I found out they were not the correct shape after all. As illustrated in Diagram 4, the ones I had made were basic rectangular hinges whereas they should have been a more decorative ‘butterfly’ hinge shape. I tried trimming the first lot down but couldn’t get them looking just right so eventually I came up with an alternative solution using the kit’s own waste sprue. Photo 5 illustrates the first step in which the round sprue is squared off using the flat diamond dust file. Then, using first the triangular file followed by the round rat tail, two grooves were filed into opposite faces of the square as shown in Photo 6. These are the very rough stages, they were cleaned up with fine sand paper later! Finally the outer corners of the square were rounded off to produce a ‘double back to back B’ profile which was then very carefully sliced off the sprue to create a series of hinge ‘blanks’ as seen in Photo 7.
These blanks were then cut in half down through the flat sides and then glued back together with a thin section of stretched sprue in between to form the hinge bar. Initially I tried to make the rivets for the hinges by using yet more of Frederick’s sprue, again in a stretched form as illustrated in Photo 8 (the first four rivets perched on the edge of the safety razor blade used to slice them off). At this scale however, they were really difficult to get the same size, in fact, looking at them here, there are two different lengths visible! After trying to glue them down and not liking the result I changed the technique and came up with a much better way, which even gave me the rounded tops to the rivets in the process!Cool As shown in Photo 9, the hinge is first drilled out with the four rivet holes and then, in Photo 10, the stretched sprue used to make the bars is fed through the hole from behind. A candle flame is then used to gently heat the tip of the sprue until it forms the characteristic ‘bulb’ as seen here and then a tiny drop of liquid poly is applied just behind the bulb and the sprue pulled back through the hole until the formed rivet head lodges in the drilled hole. After a minute or two the excess sprue can be razor bladed away ready for the next one. If too much heat is applied the bulb will get too big, if that happens (and it did!) simply cut off the bad bulb and try again. I didn’t trim off both sides of the hinge bar as you can see in these shots, the long piece on one side makes a convenient handle for gripping and painting! The ‘riveted’ hinges were painted with Humbrol Acrylic Metallic Brass and then given a wash of Citadel Skaven Brown Ink as shown in Photo 11. Finally, in Photo 12 the set of hinges are seen in place down the left side of the Plackart (Breastplate) and Fauld.

In the next instalment, attaching the final pieces of armour and adding the various belts and scabbards.

Robin.
Skirt plates and hinges pic 1.JPG
Skirt plates and hinges pic 2.JPG
Martyn Ingram
#130 Posted : 31 January 2017 19:54:09

BigGrin Yet another brilliant update Robin lovely work Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
ian smith
#131 Posted : 31 January 2017 20:34:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Robin.
Some more fantastic updates.
Ian Cool Cool BigGrin
Plymouth57
#132 Posted : 08 February 2017 18:16:59

Grateful thanks again to Martyn and Ian!Blushing Just a couple more installments to go now. This one brings the actual figure to a close and the next one will concentrate on the scenic base to finish off!Crying

Photos 13 and 14 show the rear of the Fauld or skirt armour with the two metal replacement plates attached. The upper one is part of the main armour and is glued on with help from two of the brass pin rivets to keep it in position. The lowest plate is that ‘replacement for the replacement’ mentioned earlier, this one is a ‘free swinging’ plate, not riveted to the main body but attached by a pair of leather straps as shown here. I would suspect that this plate would simply ‘swing up’ out of the way when Frederick was sat in his saddle, the medieval war horse saddle was not a flattened cushion like a modern saddle but had a high front and back both for protection from blows aimed from the ground and also to take some of the shock of impact from using the lance in combat. Photos 15 and 16 then illustrate the separated ‘hip guard’ plate, which is also suspended via a pair of leather straps. Strangely, the rear strap is riveted to the plate above like the larger plate but the front strap is riveted to the plate above that one – possibly sharing the weight of this piece of armour between the two lames instead of it all pulling on one section?
To protect Frederick’s vulnerable armpits whilst raising his sword or shield arm, his armour is equipped with disk shaped protectors called Rondels. These are fixed to the shoulder Pauldrons by a simple leather strap allowing the Rondel to just ‘dangle underneath. When the arm is raised up, the Rondel moves up to cover the armpit (although it is still protected by the mail of course, but the mail won’t stop a bodkin point or a Stiletto type dagger thrust!) I used the kit parts for the Rondels, they were given a spray of the matt black car primer followed by the silver leaf and a coat of the Humbrol Blue-Grey Enamel wash as with all the rest of the plastic armour parts. The two Rondels were then super glued to a single thin strip of the skived leather as shown in Photo 17 before being separated at the cuts marked in the photo. All that remained then was to apply a small drop of super glue on the outward side of the leather and insert the strap up under the Pauldron, keeping it in position for a few seconds with tweezers until the glue was set, the result is shown in Photo 18.
The last two sections of Frederick’s armour to be attached were the Tassets, the upper thigh guards which were attached with a pair of leather straps on each as shown in Photo 19. These were the pieces which, in the original kit parts, were moulded with only the inner strap present. The two straps are not identical however, the inner ones seen here have two brass rivets at the top whilst the outer straps (not visible here, one is hidden under the sword belt and the other is ‘round the corner) have only one rivet. To save drilling lots of holes in the metal Lame, only one of the double rivets is actually passing through the armour – the other one is a dummy, just the brass pin head glued on to the strap!Blushing
Finally for this instalment, we finish off the sword and dagger belts. The final composite Photo 20 shows the applied belt system from two views. The load bearing part of the belt consists of two individually buckled straps; one of which circles the armour’s waist, with a second, longer one which hangs at an angle and carries the actual weight of the sword and dagger. These were made from the stiffer ‘cow hide’ leather which was skived down until it was as thin as possible to allow it to hang naturally after a painting with the leather softener. Once the belts were in position I offered up the suspension straps already fitted to the scabbard rings and positioned the scabbard at a good angle against the body. Once satisfied, I marked the straps against the belt and trimmed off the excess leather before piercing a small hole in the straps at the top. I could then drill through the hole and the belt underneath, eventually drilling through the plastic armour as well. Then a full sized brass pin was pushed through all three layers securing the strap to the belt (and body) – rivets in leather are larger than those in metal to avoid the leather tearing under stress. On the left side photo you can clearly see the difference in size between the full size pin on the belt and the filed down ones on the armour! Now, the belt was supposed to thread through the dagger ‘frog’ when I fitted it onto the torso – wouldn’t you know I completely forgot to add it on! No problem however, I just razor slit the back of the frog, hooked it over the belt and super glued it back together again.Flapper The weight baring part of the medieval sword belt was traditionally far longer than it needed to be to wear the sword around the waist, as you can see here, Frederick has a good two foot of spare belt dangling down. This was to allow the belt to be extended so that the sword could also be worn over the shoulder like a Baldrick when required. Much later, for instance in the English Civil War period, most swords were worn on a Baldrick, the earlier sword belt having fallen into disuse with the passing of full armour.
And that is it for Frederick himself!Blink In the next and final installment, creating the base and groundwork for the ‘Field of Oats’

Robin.
Skirt plates and hinges pic 3.JPG
Skirt plates and hinges pic 4.JPG
ian smith
#133 Posted : 09 February 2017 12:39:55

Hi Robin.
Another fantastic update. thanks for sharing.
Ian Cool Cool BigGrin
Plymouth57
#134 Posted : 09 March 2017 19:39:11

Many thanks there to Ian! Sorry for the delay in finishing up dear old Frederick - been having trouble with a winter bug and migraines lately but here he is at last!
I've crammed the whole base building into one installment so I'm afraid it is a bit 'wordy' but I hope the updated photos at the end will make up for that! (Sorry I couldn't get his legs in, the backdrop wasn't big enough!Blushing )

Many years ago I was given a beautiful slice of Agate stone as seen in Photo 1. It came with a little clear plastic supporting stand visible at the bottom of the stone but a little while after I managed to pick up a lovely octagonal wooden stand to display the piece on. I’m not exactly sure where I got it from, but I’m fairly certain it was from one of the Model Exhibitions held in the Guildhall down here in Plymouth. Anyway, after all those years I’m afraid Mr Agate has lost his plinth – I need it for Frederick (and it’s just the right size!). Photo 2 shows the wooden plinth after a good dusting and a quick clean up with a damp cloth – and it needed it too!Blushing The first task was to remove Frederick from his temporary base – another block of plain wood used to hold him steady for the various adding on procedures, pose him where I wanted him to stand and then mark the positions of his two metal rods coming out of his feet. From those marks I could then drill out the base to fit those same rods in again. I chose to do this with the bench press drill as shown in Photo 3, (I’m not the most accurate at free-hand 90 degree hole drillings!)
With the holes drilled and cleaned out, the base was then covered in some of Mum’s cling-film, this would allow me to model the ground work, and do all the painting steps without worrying about messing up the surface of the wood. The basic ground build up was composed of DAS Modelling Clay, an air drying material which I used for the sandbags in the Scramble diorama. This was a new pack, freshly opened as shown in Photo 4. I sliced off about a half inch thick slab of the clay and using a piece of aluminium tubing, rolled the clay out into a sheet of around a quarter inch or 5mm thickness. (I must remember to get a rolling pin in the Poundshop, I’ll need that tube for something one day!)BigGrin A pair of cocktail sticks were inserted into the drilled peg holes in the base, and the sheet of clay was dropped over the top to lie flat on the cling film. The edges were then trimmed back with an old kitchen knife to leave the clay as shown in Photo 5. The ‘flat’ clay effect was then removed with some very basic stippling accomplished with an old toothbrush as shown in Photo 6. This is simply a case of ‘dabbing’ the bristles of the brush down into the clay with the minimum of force required to make an impression, push too hard and the brush will just embed itself and remove large clods of clay! Once the stippling was done, the two cocktail sticks were removed temporarily so that I could take Frederick and gently push his feet with their brass pegs down into the holes to leave a pair of footprints in the clay, this would ensure that he would fit exactly back in position once the base was finished and would also stand ‘in’ the ground, not perched over the top of it! With the basic terrain texture complete, I went back to my store of Woodland Scenics Talus (assorted rocks) and selected a few bits and pieces to represent the small stones that would be un-earthed by the medieval plough and/or weather out of the cultivated soil. These were pushed in to the clay surface and left overnight for the clay to air dry. The difference in colour between the fresh clay and the dried can be clearly seen in Photos 7 and 8. The final preparation was completed by a good thick coat of Admiralty Yellow Ochre acrylic paint as seen in Photo 9. Any loose looking stones were removed first and carefully arranged around the base so I could relocate them back in their original positions later. After leaving the paint to dry overnight, the following evening the ground work was given a light wash with Citadel Skaven Brown acrylic ink to bring out the textures and shadows as can be seen in Photo 10. Frederick’s footprints are also more evident in this shot! After the depth-adding shadows, the next step was to add the lighter highlighting using a mixture of the Yellow Ochre and some Revell matt White acrylic, drybrushed over the ground texture. Before doing that however, the missing stones were glued back into position with super glue gel and then the whole of the groundwork was drybrushed as one, blending the stones back into the overall soil colour as shown in Photo 11. The final act for the ground was to add a subtle dusting of the Carrs Mud powder to add the orangey brown tinges to the soil. The Carrs was originally bought for the Messines diorama and is still going strong! (Photo 12)
The last essential part of the base work was the stalks of ripening oats to represent the fields over which part of the battle took place. To start off, I needed to create the leaves for the oat plants. Photo 13 illustrates the beginning of my agricultural phase of the model with the first set of leaves being scissor-cut from a piece of yellow crepe paper. I hunted everywhere to find that crepe – the design for creating the oats was based partly on a site I came across on the web for making scale corn plants for doll scale farm houses. It was only after I began making up the plants that I discovered that I should have been after raffia NOT crepe! Still, this method worked really well so it didn’t matter in the end! Each oat stalk has three sets of leaves, smallest at the top just below the oat husks or seeds, each set at right angles to the one above. In order to make the actual oat stalks with the ‘ears’ of oat I went for the most natural looking material I could find – someone else had done all the work on designing this and I can’t better His work!BigGrin What I’m using is a species of wild grass – I haven’t a clue what the species name is, but I found this whilst on my walks to the bus stop up the hill when my back was ‘done in’ and I couldn’t ride my bike to my caring job. Along the grass verges were patches of this wild grass and as they turned a golden yellow in the summer the seeds looked just like miniature oats! I duly collected a few handfuls of the stuff, each one carefully selected for the best looking ‘heads’. The first batch didn’t go to plan however, I tried to preserve the grasses with diluted pva but all that did was to stick all the seed heads into one thick stem – not the ‘wispy’ oats blowing in the wind I wanted! I then sent off for an aerosol can of matt varnish and that (when sparingly applied) did the job and I ended up with sealed grass stems still looking wispy at the ends (see Photo 15) Before the previously cut leaves were attached they first needed to be given a brushing over with neat pva glue as shown in Photo 14. This was simply brushed over the crepe paper leaf with a stiff bristled brush and immediately after the application the bottom of the leaf was gently lifted up and the still tacky end rolled between the thumb and forefinger. This produces a tightly rolled ‘stem’ which is then used to attach the leaf to the natural grass stalk with more pva. (The rolling action to create the stem was discovered by pure accident – I was actually trying to get a sticky leaf off of my fingers at the time!)Blink As you can see in Photo 15, some of the ‘ears’ did come loose during the sticking process but these were saved up and applied to the base groundwork for extra effect. At the time Frederick was completed for the competion (before I blew it!) he appeared as in Photo 16. Afterwards however I discovered that oat plants are not as tall as I thought – on average about four to five feet, not the six to seven I had modelled them at! I therefore trimmed them down a bit and, while I was at it also decided to airbrush the lower halves of the plants to give them back a little more green colour. This would also have the effect of making them two toned – green at the bottom and ripening yellow at the top which looked much better as you can see in Photo 17. I would have loved to have put in twice the number of oat stalks to give the impression of Frederick standing and fighting through a dense field of crops, the trouble was, the more oats the less Frederick can be seen! In the end, I stopped at four as a compromise. The last act I needed to do to put Frederick in the middle of his most famous battle was to ‘bloody’ him up a bit. Originally I was going to put a lot of blood spatter over his torso too which would probably have been more realistic but just as with the oats, its possible to get carried away so for best effect I’ve given him a bloodied sword and some ‘arterial spray’ over his shield. For the blood, I popped into the local Games Workshop store (they’re a pretty bloodthirsty lot!Blink ) and found a pot of acrylic called “Blood for the Blood God” – and you can’t get much bloodier than that! This is a really nice paint to simulate blood and gore which stays looking wet after it has actually dried as you can see in Photo 18. The blood on the sword blade was applied with a small fine brush but for the shield I first experimented on a scrap of white card and found that by dipping a short, stiff bristled brush just into the paint and then carefully ‘aiming’ the brush at the card and using my thumb to pull the bristles back I could literally ‘flick’ the paint over to the card to create a realistic ‘blood spatter’ effect (yes, I watched the original CSI series too!)BigGrin Once I’d got the hang of it, I used to same technique to flick the blood paint across the top left quarter of Frederick’s shield after first placing some paper tissue behind the shield so I didn’t spray Frederick as well. With the oats shortened and greened up a little, and the blood work done the final appearance of Frederick the Victorious was as shown in Photo 19.
I can honestly say I’ve enjoyed this build more than most others – I’ve learnt or developed so many more skills and techniques on Frederick, from working in leather and silver leafing to basic metalworking and even ‘horticulture’ and I would love to get back into this 1/12th scale for future projects.
I hope you have enjoyed reading this medieval epic as much as I enjoyed building it and to leave you all as I start getting to grips with this year’s project, here’s a little series of photos to end up with, showing my favourite Count of the Palatinate in the thick of battle!

So until “A Litter of Pups” is ready to start postingBlink , Happy Modelling to you All!

Robin.
The Base pic 1.JPG
The Base pic 2.JPG
The Base pic 3.JPG
The Base pic 4.JPG
The Battle pic 1.JPG
The Battle pic 2.JPG
The Battle pic 3.JPG
The Battle pic 4.JPG
Martyn Ingram
#135 Posted : 09 March 2017 22:38:48

BigGrin This has been a pleasure to watch and a stunning peace of work well done my friend Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
ian smith
#136 Posted : 10 March 2017 12:33:23

Fantastic build and excellent build diary. Well done Robin.Cool Cool BigGrin Drool