Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
HMS Victory. First wooden ship. Options
mbl
#1 Posted : 24 January 2016 21:43:49

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello all. I have built many models over the years, but never anything in wood. So why not dive into the deep end?

I'm somewhere around step 25. Deep into planking, and already hating making gun ports. Hate to think I have dozens more.

Some thoughts. Planking is easier than I thought it would be. But fairing was more difficult and more important than I thought. Wish I could start over knowing what I know now. I'm constantly evaluating and fine tuning my methods as I go. Nail setters? Waste of my time. They're the tools of Satin. Electric plank bender? Hate it. I've done almost all the planks with water and my hands and patience.

Anyway, I'm posting to show what not to do. And to get answers to my questions to those with more experience.

mbl
#2 Posted : 24 January 2016 21:45:28

Pics to come soon. Struggling with the how to.
mbl
#3 Posted : 24 January 2016 21:47:35

File Attachment(s):
victory.jpg (524kb) downloaded 38 time(s).
victory2.jpg (526kb) downloaded 28 time(s).
victory3.jpg (442kb) downloaded 27 time(s).
victory4.jpg (400kb) downloaded 32 time(s).
Martyn Ingram
#4 Posted : 24 January 2016 21:53:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Well done on jumping in on a stunning ship like the Vic looking forward to the pictures Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
mbl
#5 Posted : 24 January 2016 21:57:34

You can see I've created disaster already. I have a wave going down the side. Should've done a better job with the fairing. One side is not real bad. The other looks like gargage. Debating quiting. Starting over. Hoping there's a fix. Hoping it won't show later. Or that the actual ship did have a wave down the side.... Cursing
Gandale
#6 Posted : 25 January 2016 01:18:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

mbl wrote:
You can see I've created disaster already. I have a wave going down the side. Should've done a better job with the fairing. One side is not real bad. The other looks like gargage. Debating quiting. Starting over. Hoping there's a fix. Hoping it won't show later. Or that the actual ship did have a wave down the side.... Cursing

Hi MBL, great to see you building this wonderful kit and thanks for posting pics.... On the pics, if you resize them to around 600x480 pixels then they'll show up as pics on your post rather than members having to download. Cool Cool

As for a disaster, far from it, she's actually looking very nice and for a first attempt at wooden ship building I think you're doing a great job. The wave on the hull can be fixed so there is no need to scrap and start over.Cool Cool .. Can you post a couple of pics looking straight down the length of the ship from bow to stern so we can see exactly the extent of the wave and come up with a fix for you....Cool Cool . A couple of pics from directly above would also be very handy....

Regards

Alan
mbl
#7 Posted : 25 January 2016 07:07:08

mbl attached the following image(s):
victory4.jpg
mbl
#8 Posted : 25 January 2016 07:09:14

victory.jpg
victory3.jpg
mark 2
#9 Posted : 25 January 2016 07:17:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi mbl BigGrin .
What you have done looks great.
Keep up the good work.
Best regards.
Mark
z8000783
#10 Posted : 25 January 2016 07:39:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Hi mbl, welcome to the build.

The are lots of diaries up already and many posts in the discussion forums so you might want to spend an hour or so on a cold day having a look through those. Lots of good ideas there.

Nice work so far. Depending on the scale of the problem you may be able to recover when you start rubbing the hull down.
birdaj2
#11 Posted : 25 January 2016 10:12:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

MBL

I had exactly the same situation with mine and in the same place.

One good thing (certainly in my case) was that the dip in the planking only covered about 4 plank widths.

Too get around the issue inhad i very gently prised the planks away from the frame at this point and inserted a shim between pkank and frame using a scrap of 0.5mm wood.

It worked on mine without having to resort to removing all of the planks.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
mbl
#12 Posted : 25 January 2016 16:16:58

birdaj2 wrote:
MBL

I had exactly the same situation with mine and in the same place.

One good thing (certainly in my case) was that the dip in the planking only covered about 4 plank widths.

Too get around the issue inhad i very gently prised the planks away from the frame at this point and inserted a shim between pkank and frame using a scrap of 0.5mm wood.

It worked on mine without having to resort to removing all of the planks.

Thanks. This is my idea as well. I'm just terrified to dive in. Not sure best how to go about pulling the planks away from the ribs. This wood glue is far stronger than I thought it would be.
Gandale
#13 Posted : 25 January 2016 16:43:32

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Best way to separate is to use a small brush with hot water. Gently brush the glued joints with the hot water, after a few minutes the glue will soften enough to separate the parts without damage. This is assuming you have used PVA glue in the first place. Put the shims in place and re-glue...

Hope this helps.

Regards

Alan
mbl
#14 Posted : 25 January 2016 17:12:50

image.jpeg.jpg
victory5.jpg
mbl
#15 Posted : 25 January 2016 17:16:11

Gandale wrote:
Best way to separate is to use a small brush with hot water. Gently brush the glued joints with the hot water, after a few minutes the glue will soften enough to separate the parts without damage. This is assuming you have used PVA glue in the first place. Put the shims in place and re-glue...

Hope this helps.

Regards

Alan

Ahh yes. Will try this. My experience with PVA is very limited. Thanks Alan.
birdaj2
#16 Posted : 25 January 2016 19:38:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

MBL,

Had the same concerns having used TITEBOND but the guys advice on here had me doing the same.

I also used a chisel edge blade in an xacto handle but you will probable get away with using a small flat blade screwdriver.

Remember to use plenty of glue because you will be gluing back 2 surfaces if you use a shim (shim to rib and shim to plank).

While its probable stating the obvious (sorry for that but bear in mind I got caught the same way) run a dry, unglued plank across the ribs in future and looking down on this you will spot any gaps on ribs that might be slightly narrow and you will spot the gap quite easily.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
mbl
#17 Posted : 25 January 2016 19:47:20

birdaj2 wrote:
MBL,

Had the same concerns having used TITEBOND but the guys advice on here had me doing the same.

I also used a chisel edge blade in an xacto handle but you will probable get away with using a small flat blade screwdriver.

Remember to use plenty of glue because you will be gluing back 2 surfaces if you use a shim (shim to rib and shim to plank).

While its probable stating the obvious (sorry for that but bear in mind I got caught the same way) run a dry, unglued plank across the ribs in future and looking down on this you will spot any gaps on ribs that might be slightly narrow and you will spot the gap quite easily.

Thanks. I learned this lesson the hard way. I was smart enough to use a shim in a different area. The force of the plank pull the shim away from the rib because I didn't wait long enough. Patience is not my strong suit.
ian smith
#18 Posted : 26 January 2016 17:02:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi MBL.
Great start to your build look forward to seeing youtr progress IanCool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
mbl
#19 Posted : 26 January 2016 21:59:45

Thanks for the advice and the kind words. Did the best I could without ripping all the planks off. It's not perfect but much better.

I've looked at a gazillion videos and build threads on this thing. I am and will be doing more things for the first time in this build. I have zero wood working experience. For those of you that finished it or are deep in the process, whats the most difficult stage?
Gandale
#20 Posted : 26 January 2016 22:38:12

Hi MBL, difficult to answer your question simply because every modeller finds different things difficult. Some struggle with planking but are quite happy with delicate kind of work such as rigging.

The instructions for the Vic has been compiled to teach you the skills you need as you go along so what may look daunting just now will be easier when you get to that stage, simply because of the skills you will have learned. My advice would be stick to the instructions, post pics on your diary often so we can help you as you progress if you need it and follow other builds especially the official forum build and the official video build. We can also highlight easier ways of tackling certain task that you may be finding challenging.. Right now you're progressing very nicely so keep the pics coming and I look forward to your next update...

Regards

Alan