Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Troy's Victory Options
genone69
#1 Posted : 31 January 2016 21:24:14

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

So this is my second ever ship build. My first was the AL King of the Mississippi. However, that didn't have much in the way of a hull build and very minimal rigging. It was a great beginner experience. So now I find myself deep into the Victory and thanks to all the information on this forum I have gotten to stage 35 without much difficulty.

Now that I am here, I thought it was time to start sharing my experience and mistakes (there will be many) in hopes that it will not only help me, but help others. I am not usually a very talkative person, so posting a diary will be a completely new experience for me also.
genone69
#2 Posted : 31 January 2016 21:34:06

I am at the point of removing the pins that we holding the lower planking. I planked the first 12 rows of the lower hull on both sides and then started removing the pins. There are a few minor gaps, but overall I am very happy with the results.
genone69 attached the following image(s):
lowerhull.jpg
stevie_o
#3 Posted : 31 January 2016 21:38:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

genone69
#4 Posted : 31 January 2016 21:40:26

Here is the other side (starboard?) with the pins removed. As you can see, I choose to go with the cutaway. Also, after planking the upper hull I needed a break from the whole planking process and decided to frame the ports on this side prior to beginning the lower hull. It was a good change of pace.

Also, sorry about the quality of the pics. I will look into a better camera now that I am doing the diary but until then - it is what it is.
cutaway.jpg
bow.jpg
genone69
#5 Posted : 31 January 2016 21:49:00

When I was at around the 6th course in the lower hull I was holding the Vic in my hands and simply enjoying the curves while marveling at how incredible these machines were especially considering when they were built and the tools that were used.

As I was fondling my wonderful hull I noticed something that I had not previously - the bow and stern are about 2 degrees out of alignment. In the attached photo it looks worse, but I think that is just due to the angle at which I took the image. I didn't think much of it at the time, but the more I consider it, it occurs to me that the slight angle will be even more evident at the top of the masts. I originally had the keel and ribs on a rig to keep them straight when I assembled them but took it off the rig when I started the planking. In hindsight maybe I should have left it on.

Not sure what to do, if anything. I was thinking of soaking the entire hull in a bath for a few minutes and using brute force to bring it back into alignment, but I sense that it would not turn out well. I can imaging boards snapping, ribs breaking, and glue washing away. Any ideas?

crooked.jpg
Martyn Ingram
#6 Posted : 31 January 2016 21:54:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Troy welcome to Model Space Cool For your first try at planking you are making a lovely job of it well done Cool if you resize your pictures to 600 by 400 they will come out as pictures BigGrin

Happy building rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
genone69
#7 Posted : 31 January 2016 22:06:53

Thanks all. I will resize the images so they appear in the post.
arpurchase
#8 Posted : 31 January 2016 22:38:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin nicely done and welcome to the forumCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#9 Posted : 31 January 2016 23:49:23

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome to the forum Troy, hope you enjoy your time with us....Cool Cool .. Looking at your last pic its very difficult to tell whether there is an alignment problem or not. The way to be sure is to use two small spirit levels, put one across the deck at the bow making sure that one is level and place one across the deck at the stern. You'll see for certain if you have an alignment problem. Post a pic of the results so we can be sure, we need to see how bad the problem really is....Cool Cool

Hope this helps.

Regards

Alan
genone69
#10 Posted : 01 February 2016 00:05:33

Thanks Gamdale. I will pick up a couple levels and try it out. I'll post the result in the coming days.
Garth
#11 Posted : 01 February 2016 10:42:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Troy,
Welcome to the forum. Your build certainly looks the part. As mentioned, post a pic of your dilemma. I'm sure you will find a feasible solution here.
Looking forward to seeing more of your build.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
birdaj2
#12 Posted : 01 February 2016 12:29:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking really good so far.

Now your hull is nearly complete is onto all of that lovely detail.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
genone69
#13 Posted : 02 February 2016 03:48:39

So, at some point I got carried away with planking the hull and didn't notice that I had torqued the the frame out of alignment. Now, I need to figure out what to do to make the best of it. The first photo is a view from the stern. The level at the bow is difficult to see, but it is level. As you can see, the level at the stern is a bit cattywampus.

To get a better idea of how messed up it is, I placed a piece of hull planking under the port side of the level which brought it fairly close into alignment as seen in the second photo. The plank is about 2mm thick.

Now I have to think...where to go from here? I fear the tops of the masts will be freaky out of alignment if I don't do something about this.
two_levels.jpg
stern_level.jpg
stevie_o
#14 Posted : 02 February 2016 07:47:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You certainly cant really see the difference without the levels so I doubt it will be noticed, it may even just be the lower deck out of line which wont matter. Maybe you could lay a plank for your levels across the top deck supports and take a look?

If the hull is twisted then it's not by much and the work involved in rectifying it wont be worth the marginal improvement.
Steve
Gandale
#15 Posted : 02 February 2016 19:57:45

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Thanks for the pics Troy, appreciated. It certainly shows you have an alignment problem somewhere whether it be the deck or the keel and although I agree with Steve I think you need to air on the side of caution and be sure in your own mind what you may be facing. Normally, any misalignment problems early in the build can cause problems with the build further down the line with the fitting of other parts. To see how bad it may be and to give you an idea of what it will be like when finished, I would get hold of 3 long dowels, 2 of 10mm dia, 1 of 8mm dia and fit them into the mast holes. Make sure it is a snug fit but not too tight and support the dowels. This will give you an idea of how the masts will lie and how much they will be out of line. Not good to rely on lining the masts up using the rigging either, this is likely to apply too much strain on the rigging anchoring points and may come away at some stage. Once you know what things will be like then you will have a decision to make, whether to strip back and correct the problem or whether you continue and see if it all works out. One thing on building these ships, once you have the keel set in a jig you should leave it there until you have a few rows of planking in place and always plank the hull evenly. The riggors of planking can easily pull things out of alignment especially as the glue dries....

Hope this helps..

Regards

Alan
stevie_o
#16 Posted : 02 February 2016 20:19:23

Id certainly agree with Alan's idea of fitting 3 long dowels into the mast holes. I'm sure the thought of stripping off that much planking is inconceivable so any fix apart from that needs to be thought out as an option firstCrying

Steve
genone69
#17 Posted : 03 February 2016 02:47:56

Just finished my workout at the gym and spent the entire hour thinking this over. Earlier I used dowels as suggested (thanks all) and found that the foremost mast (foremast? - I'm learning terminology as I go along) is 4mm off center at the top clockwise and the rearmost mast (no ide what the true term is...anyone?) is 6mm off center at the top both in reference to the main mast. Overall it's a full centimeter at the top of the masts from bow to stern and it looks awful.

Looking further, it is the keel that warped so the news just gets worse. Well, now that I am pumped with adrenalin from my workout I decided I am going to roll the dice. In the end I need this to be right in order to do right by all the artisans that built the real deal. So...I am stopping at the hardware store to get some angle brackets and I am going to straighten the keel...failure is not an option. I will post pics as I go along. If all works out, by tomorrow I will be back on track. If all goes to the dogs, then tomorrow I will be starting the hull planking all over again.

Wish me luck....
genone69
#18 Posted : 03 February 2016 05:22:15

So I found a really cool corner bracket that would enable me to really put some energy on the corner without it giving way. I mounted these onto the keel with bolts through and through. I plan on soaking the entire ship which, if screws were used to mount the bracket, would cause the screws to easily pull out.
corner_bracket.jpg
genone69
#19 Posted : 03 February 2016 05:24:05

Once the keel was mounted on the level board, the issue was reduced from 2mm to 1mm, so I got rid of half the alignment problem. However, it would obviously snap right back as soon as I unmounted the ship.
level_1mm.jpg
genone69
#20 Posted : 03 February 2016 05:26:07

I figured that if soaking planks makes them easier to bend, and the ship is made of tons of planks, than, by extrapolation, soaking the ship would make it easier to bend. So I did. First time I ever drew a bath for a model. Best part is the Victory actually floats pretty well and even. Yep, I put the Victory in the tub.
victory_afloat.jpg