Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Airbrushing the Yamato? Options
haggisKiller
#1 Posted : 26 December 2010 20:43:03

Groups:

After trying several times to paint metal parts with a brush (and failed miserably to make it look good), i have decided to clean all parts down to bare metal and invest in an airbrush kit.

Does anyone have any advice about what type of kit i should buy and what paint should i use?

never used an airbrush before so any advice would be appreciated.
karl1113
#2 Posted : 26 December 2010 20:45:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

hi haggis,magpie is the guy or tomick both are pros in air brushing.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Tomick
#3 Posted : 27 December 2010 15:13:37

Groups:

You dont have to go the airbrush route, because with this comes a steep learning curve of how to use it, though I suppose you have to start somewhere.

As a start point you might be better off going the spray can route, Humbrol and Tamiya do a range and you could also consider automotive aerosols.
magpie1832
#4 Posted : 27 December 2010 15:34:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Yes Tomick is correct, Airbrushing is hard to start with, getting the right consistency of paint and the right air pressure. But the results are amazing once you have learnt it.

The aerosol route like Tomick suggested is a good route to go down. If you do always make sure all is clean and dust free, then shake can very well the sit it in warm water for a minute or so to warm the can up( Not Hot as can could explode) doing this increases the air pressure for a finer mist. Then shake again. When spraying do light coats first passing over the part from left to right never point it at the part then spray as you will get too much in one area. Build up many light coat and you will get a nice finish.

Chris...
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

haggisKiller
#5 Posted : 27 December 2010 16:07:30

Groups:

Thank you for all the advice.

I'll try the aerosol path first to get used to the way of painting with a spray.

Looking at tamiya paints, what type should i buy, TS look good but are a synthetic laquer paint.

is this suitable for the Yamato?
Tomick
#6 Posted : 27 December 2010 17:54:53

Groups:

For a static model they're fine as long as used un conjunction with a compatible primer which they also do a metal primer to suit.
haggisKiller
#7 Posted : 31 December 2010 18:47:13

Groups:

Found this site, gives good advice on purchase, use and cleaning of airbrushes.

Also gives advice on paint thinning.

Airbrush Advice