Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

blacking metal parts Options
ronald305
#1 Posted : 06 February 2016 15:14:41

Groups: Registered

HI there
I was watching on YouTube kitmaker network where the gentleman was reviewing and building the Sovereign of the seas kit from modelspace
when he was ready to paint the metal parts he decided to blacken them
with some sort of blacking agent that was none toxic, my question is
has anyone watch the video and know what the name of the blacken agent
and where can I buy it thank you
Ronald
davetwin
#2 Posted : 06 February 2016 18:27:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

ronald305 wrote:
HI there
I was watching on YouTube kitmaker network where the gentleman was reviewing and building the Sovereign of the seas kit from modelspace
when he was ready to paint the metal parts he decided to blacken them
with some sort of blacking agent that was none toxic, my question is
has anyone watch the video and know what the name of the blacken agent
and where can I buy it thank you
Ronald

You need something called a burnishing liquid, I have used ultimate modelling products burnishing liquid in the past to successfully blacken metal tank tracks.

There is also another one called blacken it which I have heard very good things about but never tried. There others out there that I'm sure someone else can recommend.

Hope that helps Cool
stevie_o
#3 Posted : 06 February 2016 18:42:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

As Dave says, there are many out there to try but if it's a non-toxic one you need then I don't know. All the ones I have used say "Fatal if swallowed" on the bottle so I guess their not what your afterLOL

Steve
jase
#4 Posted : 06 February 2016 22:41:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I am not going to recommend a product as i have only ever done one, plan to show a brief tutorial on my Pickle build when at that point.

A Steve says its a proper nasty as it contains Caustic Soda its a goggles and gloves job

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
magpie1832
#5 Posted : 06 February 2016 23:05:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Ronald.
Here is a link to a post I did on Blackening.
http://forum.model-space...s&m=34289#post34289

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.