Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Revell 1:241 Millennium Falcon Options
kenjara
#1 Posted : 09 February 2016 13:55:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

This is my first attempt at a sci fi model kit and with only 20 parts it seemed like a nice little kit to build. I brought this last year when I started getting excited in the run up to the new Star Wars film.

I started off by fitting the side panels to the lower ship hull.

The pilot cabin is then glued into place.

The dish is attached to the top of the ship.

Next I sprayed both sides of the ship in white primer.

Next both sides are painted in a grey silk base colour. After that the colours are painted onto the panels.

After the main colours were painted I applied a dark wash to the ship. Most of this was cleaned off to give the effect in the next image.

Here we have the lower hull after the wash.

This is the upper hull after applying the wash. I also applied some soot pigment to the back of the ship.

After a coat of varnish I will be ready to stick the two sides together. There are some clear parts to fit inside the hull which will be added after the varnish.
Finished 3D Printer, RB7, Hummer, Skyrider drone & Combat tank collection

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 09 February 2016 14:19:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That had turned out very nice for the size of the kit.

Looks very detailed and nicely painted
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
RogerThornhill
#3 Posted : 09 February 2016 14:25:45

Looks good. What kind of varnish do you use and how do you apply it?
kenjara
#4 Posted : 09 February 2016 14:43:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I use humbrol Matt and gloss cans.

I usually apply a gloss coat after I finish painting to make it easier to apply a wash and day decals. I did not do that in this case though as there were no decals.

If there are any decals I would add another gloss coat at this point to seal them.

After adding any washes, drybrushing and weathering I will put some more coats of varnish on depending on the model. Most of the time this will be a Matt coat but for cars it would likely be a gloss.

kenjara
#5 Posted : 10 February 2016 14:04:18

Last night I finished off the falcon model. I hand painted the canopy and am happy with how it turn out. There were decals provided but I was not having much success applying them and the colour would have been a bit off.

There were 3 clear parts to apply and these were glued in place after the main ship hull got a coat of varnish. These consist of the main cockpit and the upper and lower circular gun ports.

I painted the canopy lines with a cocktail stick instead of a paint brush. This gave a consistent thin line and made things much easier.

The cocktail stick was also useful for scraping away any paint that made it onto the window panels.

Lastly before glueing the model together the blue propulsion was added to the back of the ship. I am pleased with how this model turned out, its not very often that I paint a model completely by hand (aside from primer and varnish).