Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages <1234>»
Italari 1/12 Fiat Mefistofeles Options
arpurchase
#21 Posted : 28 February 2016 00:15:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Looks good to me and not supprised it lost oil quicker than a hole in a bottle that engine looks like its missing the casting that went around the cylindersCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

kpnuts
#22 Posted : 28 February 2016 11:45:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi all I've just realised there is a huge error on this engines valve gear, every single cylinder is moulded in compression stroke (all valves closed) every multi cylinder engine I've ever worked on whilst one is closed the other is either on exhaust or intake stroke, had I have noticed before I'd brass leafed or stuck them on I could have corrected it fairly easily I think, too late now but for anyone else building this a point to remember.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
jase
#23 Posted : 28 February 2016 15:24:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

kpnuts wrote:
Hi all I've just realised there is a huge error on this engines valve gear, every single cylinder is moulded in compression stroke (all valves closed) every multi cylinder engine I've ever worked on whilst one is closed the other is either on exhaust or intake stroke, had I have noticed before I'd brass leafed or stuck them on I could have corrected it fairly easily I think, too late now but for anyone else building this a point to remember.

can you show a pic so i know what you are referring to

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
kpnuts
#24 Posted : 28 February 2016 17:37:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

If you look at the first pic in post 19 all of the tappets (the arms with the springs under them, on a real engine they move up and down, down means the valve is open so if on the carbs side allowing fuel in, or if on the exhaust side letting spent exhaust gasses out, the way this engine in depicted all valves are closed) are horizontal and at the same level none are up or down so all the valves are closed, that would be pointless engineering you may as well have had one 21 litre cylinder.
jase
#25 Posted : 28 February 2016 23:24:42

kpnuts wrote:
If you look at the first pic in post 19 all of the tappets (the arms with the springs under them, on a real engine they move up and down, down means the valve is open so if on the carbs side allowing fuel in, or if on the exhaust side letting spent exhaust gasses out, the way this engine in depicted all valves are closed) are horizontal and at the same level none are up or down so all the valves are closed, that would be pointless engineering you may as well have had one 21 litre cylinder.

Thanks, i have had a look around the net your certainly not alone in modelling them all in the same position. looking at the original that should be all in the same position down each side so if you only have one half of the bonnet up it won't be easily seen.

nice spot - thanks
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
kpnuts
#26 Posted : 05 March 2016 18:43:26

Hi all well as I'm doing this as she was for the record run I've primed her in black(she was painted red some time after she went into the museum, on the run she was black)
birdaj2
#27 Posted : 05 March 2016 20:07:01

Wow- way to go on your builds. I really envy you having the time to do all these wonderful builds.

Very interested to see this in black because that will be sonething quite unique.

Hope it continues to go well for you.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
kpnuts
#28 Posted : 11 March 2016 20:01:55

Hi all well done a bit more on this, I was told by someone building this on another forum the chain is very difficult to do(you put it together in sections then melt the little pins to keep the chain together)
well as he did I melted the first link to the one underneath, so I had a rethink activexp (the other builder) tried a solering iron with adjustable heat setting and even on the lower setting had trouble with melting links so that method I ruled out, my solution which seemed to work quite well after a few minor changes (tried cold water but cooled the blade to quick)I put the chain assy in a shallow glass dish and put just enough hot water in till it is level with the top link then heat the knife blade up and melt the pin, I made the water as hot as I could bare to put my hand in (not boiling as was worried it might warp or melt the plastic)

this is just one set there are I think 4 more

kpnuts
#29 Posted : 19 March 2016 23:12:49

Hi all thinking of giving up this modeling lark but will finish what I've started and the Rolls,tbh i just don't have the time and apart from the loyal few no one is really interested in what i'm doing, anyway here is where i'm at on this .

jase
#30 Posted : 19 March 2016 23:42:50

Interesting thoughts on building the chains. Build is really coming along now.

I do hope you are joking re giving up!!

Don't worry if people are not commenting, does not mean people are not looking in. BigGrin
-Mark Twain
birdaj2
#31 Posted : 20 March 2016 09:57:13

Ken

Its coming along really well.

The chain is quite a detailed part and i did not realise the kit goes down to that level,of detail.

Inhave one of these kits on ebat watch but having just purchased (still to arrive) 1:48 space 1999 eagles i will have to wait a while longer yet.

Modelling is something you either want to do because you enjoy the hobby or not. Quite often i have pisted on here something i feelmis of interest and it gets not one comment but i do not letvthat put me off (some might say its a pity it doesn't BigGrin ).

Been off my builts due to illness for the last 2.weeks but on a weeks leave now so hoping to pick up again later today.

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
davetwin
#32 Posted : 20 March 2016 13:08:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Coming along nicely Ken Cool

I for one will miss following your varied builds if you should give up Crying
kpnuts
#33 Posted : 20 March 2016 14:59:58

It's finding the time, I used to do something every day now it just seems to be a couple of times a week and I can see it getting less than that, feeling really frustrated as I love building but just can't seem to find enough time
birdaj2
#34 Posted : 20 March 2016 16:24:34

Ken

I think many of us are in exactly the same situation.

I will be 53 in April and although i still work full time i seem to have less time these days than was the case in the past.

Not sure if some "higher authority" has put the clocks on fast forward or what it might be BigGrin

Happy Modelling

jase
#35 Posted : 20 March 2016 17:49:53

Many of us struggle to find the time to both build models to say nothing of time to take pictures and and write a forum post. But I would rather see a less frequent meaningful post than non at all, your a great contributed to the forum.

Jase
-Mark Twain
kpnuts
#36 Posted : 02 April 2016 19:28:01

Hi all well engine is done, I've put the body shell on just for fun (don't worry it won't be that shiny when finished, I'm going to rub vasline over it
http://i.imgur.com/we3bqRe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MS0dLUF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ocNfyJe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/L79h4Jq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TmAAn6S.jpg
Gandale
#37 Posted : 02 April 2016 21:00:09

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Ken, she's looking fab as usual and some great work being shown...Cool Cool .. I for one hope you don't give up, your contributions to the forum are both very interesting and very informative. How you can say nobody is interested in what you do I find a little baffling to be honest as after all you received the accolade of member of the year, an accolade that was awarded through the members voting for you. I don't think you would have received the votes from members if they didn't appreciate the contributions you have made and the work you have shown. The amount of comments is not a good way to gauge interest in your work, rather look at the amount of views you get to your topics. The views give a better representation of how often your work is looked at. Hope you stick at it Ken even if it is a little less frequent, you enjoy it and we enjoy following. The forum wouldn't be the same without contributors like yourself.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Nemesis
#38 Posted : 02 April 2016 21:42:19

Hi Ken, it is certainly coming on well. Please don't give up modeling, we all have other things going on and I have had 3 weeks away due to other commitments, and if you look through i have about 6 or 7 on the go that need completing, its one of the joys of this hobby, you can dip in and out!!LOL LOL As for people not looking in on your builds, I have always looked in although I may not post, and if you check, I think you will find you have a lot more viewers than you think, I mean, you won the competition!!BigGrin Cool ThumpUp
kpnuts
#39 Posted : 02 April 2016 22:11:32

Thanks guys I needed a boost, sorry for the links and not pics but my desktop is dying and it's the best I can do on my new tablet at the moment, but I'm working on it.
jase
#40 Posted : 03 April 2016 07:52:36

Engin looks great

Jase
-Mark Twain