Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Panzer Pug's Victory Options
Panzer Pug
#1 Posted : 13 February 2016 17:59:28

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I guess it's about time for this.

My name is Shannon and I am somewhat new to wood ship modeling. I started a couple of kits years ago but gave up in frustration both times during the planking process. I'm hoping to push through that barrier with this kit.

So far, I am a bit disappointed in the kit, particularly for the cost involved. In the first three stages, I have 8 pieces (including both sections of the keel in those stages) which are warped. I am trying the "warm water and heavy weight" method, and it seems to be working. However, it is taking the parts several days to dry.

I hope these can be fixed as I would rather not request so many replacement parts. Any tips on further fixes or whether I should go ahead and request replacements would be appreciated.

Anybody else have this problem with their kits?

File Attachment(s):
image.png (788kb) downloaded 25 time(s).
Panzer Pug
#2 Posted : 13 February 2016 18:05:20

In the meantime, I have finished the anchor and the carronade. I think they look ok for my first attempt at modeling in 10 years. Not like some of the stunning work I've seen here, though.
File Attachment(s):
image.png (589kb) downloaded 23 time(s).
Panzer Pug
#3 Posted : 13 February 2016 18:07:41

So, I resized my photos to 600x600 and then to 500x500....and I still end up with the need for you guys to download them.

I'll keep working on that.Blushing
birdaj2
#4 Posted : 13 February 2016 18:11:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I personally would not go to the effort of asking for replacements as the slight warp you have pictured is correctable as you have found.

You are right that depending on weather conditions the parts can take a few days to dry out thoroughly.

I would suggest a couple of pieces of kitchen paper towel above and below the part before you weight it and that should draw the water out quicker.

I had similar issues with my Sovereign ribs in a couple of instances but as you are dealing with wood its to be expected.

Make sure you jig the keel when you start your build to keep eveything straight and true.

Don't be disheartened at this early stage as you are starting on a fantastic build that has so much support material on this site you are going to find support all the way.

Hope you enjoy your build.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
darbyvet
#5 Posted : 13 February 2016 18:11:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

If you decide you want replacement parts just PM me.I resize my pics to 640 by 480 and they show up in the post that way.

I have built a few ship models and there are often issues with parts.My suggestion is to get everything as straight as possible because often small amounts of warpage can really effect the shape of the hull.I constantly recheck everything as I assemble the hull to make sure everything is square.I am sure you will find as you build the model your skills will improve.The folks on the forum here are very friendly and can really help you along the way.

Carl

Panzer Pug
#6 Posted : 13 February 2016 18:14:10

Thanks for the encouragement, guys.

Here are more photos....
File Attachment(s):
image.png (803kb) downloaded 26 time(s).
Panzer Pug
#7 Posted : 13 February 2016 18:15:15

File Attachment(s):
image.png (759kb) downloaded 18 time(s).
Panzer Pug
#8 Posted : 13 February 2016 18:16:18

File Attachment(s):
image.png (728kb) downloaded 15 time(s).
darbyvet
#9 Posted : 13 February 2016 18:16:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I tried resizing to 400 by 400 and saved as a jpeg
darbyvet attached the following image(s):
image (5).jpg
Panzer Pug
#10 Posted : 13 February 2016 18:17:42

File Attachment(s):
image.png (581kb) downloaded 20 time(s).
Panzer Pug
#11 Posted : 13 February 2016 18:19:43

Hmmmm....the website won't let me upload JPEG files. I'm using an iPad2, so that may be an issue...
File Attachment(s):
image.png (589kb) downloaded 19 time(s).
Panzer Pug
#12 Posted : 13 February 2016 18:30:48

Hopefully I'll get the photo issue sorted.

Anyway, so far I have had a few tiny build issues. Most of these I saw addressed on this forum, so MANY THANKS to all here. The support is excellent.

I ran out of thread on the anchor, but I fixed it by using extra thread shamelessly stolen from my wife's sewing kit. I am wondering if I should paint the wooden portion of the anchor. I am painting the model, so I probably will. It looks so nice as it is, though.

On the carronade, I noticed the gun sits way too high. However, as I am still newish to things, I opted to leave it as I want to follow the instructions as closely as possible. Also, I found it easier to install the wheels and then clip the axles to length rather than size them, clip them, and install them. I had to use the micro drill to widen the holes in the brass as the axle rod was a little wider than the hole. Lastly, I had to file down the wheels to get them to line up with the holes in the brass part. I thought the hardest bit of the carronade was working with the thin wire and the blocks. I did a fair job, I think, but it is not as nice as others I have seen here. Plus, I poked my fingertips a few times with the wire. Ouch!
Panzer Pug
#13 Posted : 26 February 2016 15:03:50

An update on my progress.

I have had to do the soak-and-press method with about 1/3 of the bulkhead parts as well as the keel up to this point. The infamous Bulkhead 15 still has the same warping as the photo I posted earlier. I'll try to post a photo of it later today.

I wanted to start on the launch, but that too is warped so I will have to soak-and-press that sheet as well. Of course, I will wait to do that after the current bulkhead parts have finished their time in the press.

Very slow going.

Gandale
#14 Posted : 26 February 2016 16:18:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Panzer Pug, I think your photo problem is down to the size of the file itself. Your maximum file size can only be around 140kb regardless of anything else. You will need to reduce your pics until they are under 140kb then they will appear on your post, this can be done by reducing the pics resolution. You may also find this link useful...

http://forum.model-space....aspx?g=posts&t=244

Hope this helps.

Regards

Alan
Panzer Pug
#15 Posted : 26 February 2016 19:59:17

Thanks!!
Panzer Pug
#16 Posted : 27 February 2016 13:54:30

Current framing.
File Attachment(s):
image.png (606kb) downloaded 15 time(s).
Panzer Pug attached the following image(s):
image.png
darbyvet
#17 Posted : 27 February 2016 15:22:15

Looking good so far!

Panzer Pug
#18 Posted : 27 February 2016 16:21:20

Let's see how this does..l
Panzer Pug attached the following image(s):
one.JPG
Panzer Pug
#19 Posted : 27 February 2016 16:22:07