Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Ugh!! Hole doesn't line up! Options
rabidcatfan
#1 Posted : 16 February 2016 16:16:30

Groups: Registered

I was assembling the die-cast frame members according to issue 24 and came across a misaligned hole in frame piece number 26. The hole is about 3 or 4 cm's too far to the right and the screw keeps getting rejected by the bit of metal flash overlapped in the hole. What are people doing to alleviate this issue? It is unfortunately at a spot (the bottom corner of a square 4-hole connector) that if there is no screw, the structure is very weak so there needs to be some sort of support there.
Lickintoad
#2 Posted : 16 February 2016 17:57:54

This happened to me once. I wasn't off by 3-4 mm (3-4 cm would be more than an inch!), but the hole didn't line up with the hole in the bracket. I loosened all the screws in the frame assembly, which provided enough give to properly align the screw. Then I retightened the screws.

Because of this, I've got removable thread lock on all the screws in the frame so that I can back them out some in case I need to make some adjustments to the frame as I add more pieces. And, in fact, I won't make the absolute final turns on the screws until all the plating is in place and fastened.

With all the connected parts, it's easy to be off by a small amount, which just gets added to with every added piece, and you can't really tell until this happens. It gets easier with the central ring, though. That really helps keep stuff aligned.
BradM73
#3 Posted : 16 February 2016 21:15:37

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Does the part appear to be bent? I've heard from someone else who received a bent frame from DeAgo. Might try what Lickintoad suggested. Loosen the screws a bit and see if the frames will realign. It will also help dramatically when you get the main ring in a few more issues. Hopefully it's not bend, but you might want to check to be sure. Any chance you and post a picture of your actual frame that you're having problems with?
rabidcatfan
#4 Posted : 16 February 2016 22:18:42

Lickintoad wrote:
This happened to me once. I wasn't off by 3-4 mm (3-4 cm would be more than an inch!), but the hole didn't line up with the hole in the bracket. I loosened all the screws in the frame assembly, which provided enough give to properly align the screw. Then I retightened the screws.

Because of this, I've got removable thread lock on all the screws in the frame so that I can back them out some in case I need to make some adjustments to the frame as I add more pieces. And, in fact, I won't make the absolute final turns on the screws until all the plating is in place and fastened.

With all the connected parts, it's easy to be off by a small amount, which just gets added to with every added piece, and you can't really tell until this happens. It gets easier with the central ring, though. That really helps keep stuff aligned.

lol, I meant mm, not cm.

Thanks for the response. I'll try that out and see if it works.
rabidcatfan
#5 Posted : 16 February 2016 22:30:05

It worked! I had to loosen about 20 screws or so, but I was able to get the hole aligned after that and tightened all the screws back down.
Metal Mech
#6 Posted : 17 February 2016 00:25:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

rabidcatfan wrote:
It worked! I had to loosen about 20 screws or so, but I was able to get the hole aligned after that and tightened all the screws back down.

You actually shouldn't tighten up the screws yet. You can keep them run down, but make sure they are loose or you will run into this issue again. You don't want to actually tighten up the screws until after the whole frame is together. Even though, some of us are waiting till after all the panels are bolted on too.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
rabidcatfan
#7 Posted : 17 February 2016 13:33:22

Metal Mech wrote:
rabidcatfan wrote:

You actually shouldn't tighten up the screws yet. You can keep them run down, but make sure they are loose or you will run into this issue again. You don't want to actually tighten up the screws until after the whole frame is together. Even though, some of us are waiting till after all the panels are bolted on too.

I thought about that after my post, so I actually went through and loosened each screw to avoid the chance of that happening again. I won't tighten now until the final assembly.