Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
Garfields Victory - a proper start at last Options
Garfield59
#1 Posted : 17 February 2016 23:58:16

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Well our builders have gone and my workshop is complete enough for me to start building HMS Victory - at last!

Building jig in place and keel sections joined ready to start the contents of Packs 1 and 2 (Issues 1 to 20)

Look out for more photos soon.

Gary
Garfield59 attached the following image(s):
DSCF2535_1_640x480.jpg
DSCF2534_1_640x480.jpg
Garfield59
#2 Posted : 18 February 2016 00:02:52

Not sure why second image didn't appear - uploaded both at the same timeAngry

Gary
jase
#3 Posted : 18 February 2016 00:11:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good luck with your build, o will be following
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#4 Posted : 18 February 2016 00:16:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you up and running Gary, good luck with the build and I look forward to following your progress.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#5 Posted : 18 February 2016 00:18:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hope you get lots of fun from your build.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Martyn Ingram
#6 Posted : 18 February 2016 08:25:44

BigGrin Cracking start Gary will be following Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Garfield59
#7 Posted : 18 February 2016 09:01:48

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone.
In my enthusiasm to assemble the keel and get it on the building jig I seem to have completely ignored the instruction to make the bracing pieces level with the top of the keelBlushing I was more interested in getting as much of the joints covered as possible.
I don't think it will make any difference but it has taught me to read everything carefully before reaching for the glue!ie Engage eyes and brain before engaging fingers...
Looking forward to making more progress this evening after a day's DIY.
Gary
Biggsy1984
#8 Posted : 18 February 2016 12:30:43

Looks like we've started our builds at the same time Gary. Best of luck, I'm looking forward to your updates.

Edward
Currently building: HMS Victory
ian smith
#9 Posted : 18 February 2016 12:38:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gary.
Great start to your build look forward to seering your progtress IanCool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
z8000783
#10 Posted : 18 February 2016 14:17:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Hi Gary, looks like you're all set to go.

Good luck.
Garfield59
#11 Posted : 19 February 2016 23:31:29

Well the bow section is complete and the first few frames have been assembled and dry fitted onto the keel. I must admit to being disappointed that Frame 15 is still a problem even though members of this forum have been complaining about it for at least 5 years!

I will probably deepen the slot in the frame so that the bottom lies correct with the keel and then use a strip of wood to make up the height to keep the lower gundeck flat.

While I am dry fitting the frames the next batch of assembled frames are setting between two fairly heavy pieces of glass - this can be seen in the picture below.

I have discovered that the tall piece of keel between frames 29 and 30 is actually warped. It's square at the base board (so it was okay when I checked alignment with a small engineers square) but the last couple of inches have veered to Port! I might glue some kind of "strongback" between 29 and 30 on the starboard side of the keel to pull the wood back to the vertical but I'm not sure the warp will have any impact because the important parts (the frames) are either side of the warped wood. Is there any reason, that I have missed, why the warp might cause problems later?

Hoping to have all frames fitted this weekend between DIY and the Tesco Grand Prix!

Regards

Gary
DSCF2542_640x480.jpg
DSCF2541_640x480.jpg
Gandale
#12 Posted : 20 February 2016 00:01:09

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

She's coming along nicely so keep up the good work....Cool Cool .. As for applying a bracing piece between ribs 29 & 30 to bring that top piece back into line, I don't see it causing problems as long as you ensure it doesn't interfere with any of the ribs being fitted....Cool Cool .. Also, and this has caught a lot of builders out, when you come to gluing the ribs in place make sure you double check the last frames on the keel remain fully seated in their slots and keep checking they stay there. Get that part wrong and the fitting of the gallery is likely to prove problematic......Cool Cool

Hope this helps....

Regards

Alan
z8000783
#13 Posted : 20 February 2016 08:06:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

"Well the bow section is complete and the first few frames have been assembled and dry fitted onto the keel. I must admit to being disappointed that Frame 15 is still a problem even though members of this forum have been complaining about it for at least 5 years!"

It is odd when this kit is marketed as one that has 'laser cut parts' and we have never been given an explanation for how this happened.

One member suggested that the jig is not tightened enough when the parts are prepared for cutting.Ironic if true.

Hey ho but I suspect it will not be the least of your problems as your build moves forward.
Garfield59
#14 Posted : 20 February 2016 08:12:59

Thanks for the helpful advice. At least the quality of forum response remains high - unlike the quality of some of the Victory componentsBigGrin
Gary
Martyn Ingram
#15 Posted : 20 February 2016 09:10:34

BigGrin coming together well Gary as Alan said just keep checking and it will all go OK

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
birdaj2
#16 Posted : 20 February 2016 10:44:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gary

Its all looking very nice.

With any wooden model there will always be minor issues to overcome and they can be overcone.

You are building a model that has so much support on this site i think you are guaranteed a great result.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Garfield59
#17 Posted : 21 February 2016 20:52:21

Frames through to 30 are now dry fitted but the top of 4 of them (21,23,25 and 27) are lower than the keelCrying .

Will fit some thin packing to the tops of the frames at the same time that I tackle Frame 15.

No-one said it would be straightforward! Enjoying the challenge.

Gary
Garfield59
#18 Posted : 23 February 2016 00:27:03

These are some photos from last nights session. I need to take some more tomorrow morning because this evening I sorted the low frames (except Frame 15) by adding spare planking from the launch pack.

It's starting to look ship shape!

Regards

Gary
DSCF2548_640x480.jpg
DSCF2550_640x480.jpg
DSCF2552_640x480.jpg
DSCF2554_640x480.jpg
Gandale
#19 Posted : 23 February 2016 00:36:48

Nicely done Gary, progressing very well.... well done.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#20 Posted : 23 February 2016 08:17:35

BigGrin Very nicely done Gary Cool Looking forward to the next update

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?