Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
Garfields Victory - a proper start at last Options
birdaj2
#21 Posted : 23 February 2016 11:57:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Its all taking shape very nicely now.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Garfield59
#22 Posted : 23 February 2016 23:34:51

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement.

Been too busy to make any progress today (other than one more plank on the launch) so here is a photo of the frames (partly lifted out) that have been fitted with a strip of wood packing. I will then sand them back down to the correct size when I level them all off against the keel. Frame 15 still needs the slot increasing and packing fitted.

"They're not problems - they're opportunities in disguise"

Gary
Garfield59 attached the following image(s):
DSCF2555_640x480.jpg
Garfield59
#23 Posted : 03 March 2016 00:16:29

More haste - less speed!

Having nailed down the four parts of the lower gun deck and glued the underside of all the joints (see pics) I decided tonight to fit the beams along the edge of the gundeck. I was really too tired but went ahead anyway.

I sawed the wood part way through to make it bend and sanded the end to make it fit - okay so far. Then, having applied glue where appropriate I set about nailing the beam to the ribs and in doing so managed to break one of the ribsAngry. I was trying so hard to get the nail in properly I forgot my hand was very close to the opposite ribs.

I have now glued it and splinted it so it should be okay.

However, when I checked the deck edge beam it is not in contact with all of the ribs because it needs more cutting to make it flexible. Why didn't I check the fit before starting with glue and nails? Impatient, me?

Well I removed the beam, cleaned off the glue and will start it again when I have time to do it properly.

Lesson learned!

PS Do I not get a medal for having a build diary????
DSCF2575_640x480.jpg
DSCF2577_640x480.jpg
Gandale
#24 Posted : 03 March 2016 00:31:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Coming along really nicely and your lesson learned is a lesson we've all learned the hard way. Check, check and check again and I'll bet you'll be cautious with those ribs from here on it.... all part of the learning experience I'm afraid.....Cool Cool .. Keep up the good work and I look forward to your next update.... .. Congratulations on receiving your blue medal.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Garfield59
#25 Posted : 03 March 2016 08:36:49

Thanks Alan. I need to curb my enthusiasm and remember this isn't a race. Blushing

Gary
Martyn Ingram
#26 Posted : 03 March 2016 09:17:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin looking good Gary Cool slow and steady wins the race BigGrin

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
z8000783
#27 Posted : 03 March 2016 09:21:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Nice jig Gary.

I know how you feel and it it so easy to get carried away especially working past the gumption trap. Good that you stopped though. It's easy to repairs earlier rather than later, I have experience of that.
birdaj2
#28 Posted : 03 March 2016 09:56:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

We all get minor set backs during a build but its the recovering from these that builds a great model so your doing just fine.
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
magpie1832
#29 Posted : 03 March 2016 11:21:34

Hi Gary. Your making great progress. Like said try not to speed ahead too fast. Your doing really good job.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Garfield59
#30 Posted : 05 March 2016 23:32:54

Well the lower gun deck is now complete and I have started on the middle gun deck. To avoid the sort of accident I had with my first attempt I have not nailed the after deck edge beams on the lower gun deck but the glue is doing a grand job!

One thing I've noticed about the middle gun deck is that when dry fitted the deck panels actually overhang the ribs at the aft corners (third photo). I am assuming this won't be a problem because it will be picked up during fairing.

Also, I have just noticed that if you look at my Victory I have managed to put her back on her jig backwards - oopsBlushing

That's it for tonight.

Gary
DSCF2593_640x480.jpg
DSCF2597_640x480.jpg
DSCF2598_1_640x480.jpg
Gandale
#31 Posted : 05 March 2016 23:50:59

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Gary you're doing a grand job.....Cool Cool .. The deck overhang isn't a problem as you rightly point out, it will be taken care of when you get to the fairing stage......Cool Cool .. Keep up the good work....

Regards

Alan
Garfield59
#32 Posted : 06 March 2016 09:04:10

Thanks Alan

It's great to be able to get help so quickly. ThumpUp

Hope to make some more progress today.

Gary
birdaj2
#33 Posted : 06 March 2016 10:08:51

Glad to see its coming along well. Lots of entertainment to be had from modelling.
Happy Modelling

ian smith
#34 Posted : 07 March 2016 14:07:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gary.
Looking very nice. keep the pictures coming Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
magpie1832
#35 Posted : 07 March 2016 22:18:56

Great work.
Doing a great job mate.
ChrisBigGrin
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Garfield59
#36 Posted : 08 March 2016 09:16:24

Once I have managed to flatten the warped middle gun deck panels I will be able to make some more progress.Mad

The instructions suggest drawing on "planking" near the entry ports but I'm not convinced it will be visible. Can anyone who has passed the entry port fitting stage say whether or not the planking is actually visible please?

If I do mark out planking then I will use 3mm for the width as this will be a lot closer to the planking typically found on the ship.Certainly Longridge uses 9 inch for deck planking and if I cast my mind back to my apprentice days in Portsmouth Dockyard I think 9 inches is about right for a "typical" deck plank.

Oh well, time to see if the warping has been corrected overnight. More progress pics soon.

Regards

Gary
birdaj2
#37 Posted : 08 March 2016 09:23:28

Gary

I think just about everyone has followed the drawn on planking stage as you have an entry port each side of the ship so best to have something in there.

What some builders have done is use this area to put sone "real" planking in place just to get the feel and in some cases to try out various staining options. Just be aware not to use your kit supplied parts though or you might leave yourself short if wood.
Happy Modelling

Garfield59
#38 Posted : 09 March 2016 08:09:22

Thanks Tony. Yesterday I sent to CMB for some 3mm strips of timber so I can make a tidy job of the planking. As you say it will be practice for later in the build.
Will post photos once the deed is done!
Regards
Gary
Gandale
#39 Posted : 09 March 2016 08:58:27

Hi Gary, some of the planking is visible through the entry ports and is also visible through the hatches.... Hope this helps.

Regards

Alan

Garfield59
#40 Posted : 09 March 2016 09:22:07

Thanks Alan, I had forgotten about the hatches!Blushing Will check which ones are likely to show the planking below.
Regards
Gary