Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
Garfields Victory - a proper start at last Options
Garfield59
#41 Posted : 09 March 2016 09:22:10

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Thanks Alan, I had forgotten about the hatches!Blushing Will check which ones are likely to show the planking below.
Regards
Gary
Garfield59
#42 Posted : 12 March 2016 00:36:36

Well Box 3 arrived today so I now have lots of planks, cannons and a tool kit! Shame I've already bought a plank bender and a nail pusher. Still, you can never have too many tools....

Hope to make some progress at the weekend. Will be planking part of middle gun deck first with some walnut strip from CMB.

Regards

Gary
Garfield59
#43 Posted : 23 March 2016 11:45:25

So the middle gun deck is now fitted, complete with planking around the area visible through the entry ports. I realise there should be margin planks at the deck edges and proper arrangements around the mast opening but I think it looks better than drawing lines on the deck so at least I'm happy with itBigGrin

It also gave me some practice for later!

The forward port corner of the middle deck looks a bit high when viewed from the side; I think some of the original "warp" returned during the period the glue was drying. I don't think it will impact on anything else because the hull planking (which starts curving up towards the bow anyway) will hide the deck edge and I'm not aware of any other structure that relies on the middle deck being perfectly flat all over since we build off the ribs. If I do need to sort it I will have to do so before planking the hull but I don't really want to start sawing the warped area of deck and re-fixing it unless absolutely necessary.

The hull is now off the building slip and sitting on her new stand as I start fairing. I didn't realise how much sawdust could come from a model ship, and that's just at the start - plenty more to come!

Gary

Garfield59 attached the following image(s):
DSCF2665_640x480.jpg
DSCF2666_640x480.jpg
DSCF2668_640x480.jpg
DSCF2671_640x480.jpg
DSCF2675_640x480.jpg
ian smith
#44 Posted : 23 March 2016 12:35:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gary.
Your build is looking very nice indeed. look forward to seeing your progress ianBigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
birdaj2
#45 Posted : 23 March 2016 14:13:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gary

very nice update.

It is surprising just how much sawdust you can end up with when rubbing down certain parts of the build.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
z8000783
#46 Posted : 23 March 2016 14:20:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Yes, and you may want to keep the sawdust for latter filling, if any.

Nice work Gary and make sure you don't skimp on the next stage. I glued 3 planks together to see the run run along the whole length of the ship. If it doesn't look right in every position it won't look right when you finish planking.

So take your time and don't stop 'till you are finished.
davetwin
#47 Posted : 23 March 2016 16:37:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking very nice Gary ThumpUp ThumpUp
Gandale
#48 Posted : 23 March 2016 19:50:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nicely done Gary, looking good. If you think you have a lot of sawdust now wait until you start sanding after she's planked....Cool Cool .. As John says, keep the sawdust in a container, may come in rather handy for filling small gaps etc....

Regards

Alan
Garfield59
#49 Posted : 30 March 2016 10:18:37

Between periods of DIY on the house I have made a start on fairing the hull. The bow doesn't seem to be too difficult so far but reading ahead I'm struggling to get my head round fairing the stern Confused

It looks as if virtually all of frame 34 is removed because most of it sits aft of the sternframe, which is the line we are working to. At least my recycled sawdust collection will benefit!

Further updates and photos when I've finished cutting a couple of full size doors down to size.

Gary
z8000783
#50 Posted : 30 March 2016 10:23:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Garfield59 wrote:
It looks as if virtually all of frame 34 is removed because most of it sits aft of the sternframe, which is the line we are working to. At least my recycled sawdust collection will benefit!

Yes, it seems odd but that is correct. Here's mine.

Hans
#51 Posted : 30 March 2016 12:14:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Some lovely work there Gary. Keep it up she will look great.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Garfield59
#52 Posted : 30 March 2016 23:45:24

Thanks for the words of encouragement and the very useful picture. I had seen other pictures but they didn't seem to make sense. Now I understand - where is my sandpaper, I have loads of sawdust to produce!BigGrin

Regards

Gary
delboy271155
#53 Posted : 31 March 2016 07:53:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Garfield59 wrote:
Thanks for the words of encouragement and the very useful picture. I had seen other pictures but they didn't seem to make sense. Now I understand - where is my sandpaper, I have loads of sawdust to produce!BigGrin

Regards

Gary

Good to see you have the info you need Gary. Cool

Just remember to check how far you`ve sanded every so often.

I`ts easy to get carried away. Crying

Look forward to seeing you advance your build and diary.Drool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Garfield59
#54 Posted : 13 April 2016 08:18:28

Just a quick update because I can't post photos at the moment (faulty card reader in PC).

Fairing done, stern planking below gallery done and hull planking started - woohoo!

One thing that is puzzling me is the correct orientation of the bow planks. Looking at other members build photos and the official build photos, the first three rows of planks at the bow seem to be horizontal when looking at the model bows-on. However, since the planks are following the line of the deck at side, which rises at the forward and aft ends, I would expect the bow planks to be sloping upwards and coming together in a shallow "apex" at the centreline. Or am I missing something?

Regards

Gary
Gandale
#55 Posted : 13 April 2016 11:09:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Gary, there will always be slight variations in all builds and I see this as possibly being down to how you have faired the ribs on the bow section. I think a pic of your bow would be the best way for us to ensure you are on track and there isn't any other underlying issues here. Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Garfield59
#56 Posted : 21 April 2016 13:54:17

Sadly I still can't post photos because my PC is being repaired. However, progress has been made even if slower than I would like.
Having sorted the bow I have been getting on with the first six rows of planks and discovering various things like, a lot of the pins supplied don't fit in the nail pusher; some planks are wider than others; some planks are thicker than others.
Then disaster! While planning to fit row five at the stern, I realised that on the port side the top of row four was about 3mm higher than on the stbd side. Somehow I had managed to secure the first row too high on the port side and didn't notice it until I reached the next reference point which was the top of the gallery supports. I will blame my dyspraxia since that sometimes manifests itself as missing the obvious!BigGrin
Time to bite the bullet and get out the razor saw. Cut through the glue on several ribs and resecured the four planks at the correct height. Currently waiting for the glue to dry but it looks okay and ready for rows five and six.
PC should be back at the weekend so I will post some photos.
Stressed? Me? Cursing
Regards
Gary
Garfield59
#57 Posted : 25 April 2016 22:52:57

I've been marking out the lower gun ports and according to the instruction on page 132, the aft gun port comes midway between frames 29 and 30. Surely this is incorrect? Subsequent photos such as the one at the bottom of page 133 and indeed the one attached to Post 50 above show the aft gun port midway between 28 and 30 I.e. sitting above frame 29.Confused
Any clarification most welcome. BTW, is there an itemised list of typos and other errors that have been found during the past 6 years?
Many thanks
Gary
Gandale
#58 Posted : 25 April 2016 23:17:01

Hi Gary, the aft gunport on the lower deck does indeed come between ribs 28 and 30, directly above rib 29. The Official build shows this very clearly in issue 23....

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=1095

I don't know of any listing detailing the errors found with this build but I would recommend keeping a close watch on the Official build for each issue you are about to work on....

Hope this helps and hope you get the picture problem sorted soon so we can follow your progress... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Garfield59
#59 Posted : 26 April 2016 07:21:19

Thanks Alan. Incidentally, although the picture in the official build shows the aft port directly above rib 29 the text still says midway between 29 and 30. You would have thought that such an error in the text could have been corrected in reprints since 2010. Oh well, that's what makes this forum so helpful I suppose!
Pictures will be back as soon as PCW find my PC and send it back to my local store.....Mad I am currently doing these entries on my Hudl2 but it doesn't have the image resize and upload capability.
Watch this space.....
Regards
Gary
z8000783
#60 Posted : 26 April 2016 10:33:54

Yes, strictly speaking, you are correct Gary, although I must admit that I never noticed the error in the text. 29 is a 'half' rib stopping at the lower gun deck floor, so yes, the gun port does fit over it. Always better to be safe than sorry though especially with the forum available.