Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Saron81's build Options
SARON81
#1 Posted : 23 February 2016 14:16:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

It's been an exciting month here, as pack 20 has finally arrived, and I'm looking forward to starting my build. I've also collected all of the Museum Collection carbon decals that I plan on using, as well as some scale hardware, and some other detailing goodies. I'll try to keep this updated as I go.
Here's what 20 months worth of parts looks like:

If anybody can help with translating the instructions for the decals to English, or has any tips for applying these decals, please see my other thread here: Carbon Decal Thread
RM1
#2 Posted : 24 February 2016 08:58:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow, looks fantastic.BigGrin
Good luck with the build.
Malc.
Nemesis
#3 Posted : 24 February 2016 13:25:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I was very lucky, and thanks to the forum members I won a full kit for this. It is a big box of parts!Drool BigGrin I have all the MCM decals inc. the ones for the Senna figure but I am interested in the hardware upgrades you have so I will be watching your build!!BigGrin BigGrin
scottww86
#4 Posted : 25 February 2016 16:16:51

I did the same and waited until I had everything before starting. It's amazing how quick you can get through it once you have all the parts!
If at first you don't succeed........skydiving is not for you!
birdaj2
#5 Posted : 25 February 2016 20:27:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

SARON81 wrote:
It's been an exciting month here, as pack 20 has finally arrived, and I'm looking forward to starting my build. I've also collected all of the Museum Collection carbon decals that I plan on using, as well as some scale hardware, and some other detailing goodies. I'll try to keep this updated as I go.
Here's what 20 months worth of parts looks like:

If anybody can help with translating the instructions for the decals to English, or has any tips for applying these decals, please see my other thread here: Carbon Decal Thread

You have done well not to be tempted to start before getting all the parts. Hope you have lots of fun with your build BigGrin
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
jldallover
#6 Posted : 26 February 2016 08:44:27

Nice!! I don't know how you waited. My 1st and 2nd month just shipped and I'm dying to get my hands on it. I would like to know where and what the extras are?
SARON81
#7 Posted : 29 February 2016 14:54:17

jldallover wrote:
Nice!! I don't know how you waited. My 1st and 2nd month just shipped and I'm dying to get my hands on it. I would like to know where and what the extras are?

Just Museum Collection decals and hardware.
The decals are in the bottom RH corner.
SARON81
#8 Posted : 29 February 2016 15:09:38

Made a start over the weekend.
Drilled out the center holes on the rotors, then removed the molded in bolt heads, and drilled holes for new bolts.
Still need to re-paint the silver around the hub.

Drilled and fitted bolts to the gearbox.
Still have clean-up and painting to do here too.

And a big step.... started painting everything for the carbon decals.

Nemesis
#9 Posted : 29 February 2016 18:45:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice start indeed. I have all the Museum Collection decals, but what hardware are you using for the up grades?BigGrin BigGrin
SARON81
#10 Posted : 29 February 2016 20:13:56

Nemesis wrote:
Very nice start indeed. I have all the Museum Collection decals, but what hardware are you using for the up grades?BigGrin BigGrin

I have 1.6mm and 2.0mm bolts to replace all the visible screws in the suspension, as well as some 1.5mm simulated bolts all from Scale Hardware
The bolts in the rotors are the 1.6mm as the 1.5mm bolt heads are too small. The transmission is all done with the 1.5mm simulated bolts. I also used those in the side pod access covers. I'm undecided how crazy I'm going to get with the hardware... you could probably do every bolt you could see in the turbos, wastegates, manifolds, etc... but you have to stop somewhere! LOL
Nemesis
#11 Posted : 29 February 2016 20:25:00

SARON81 wrote:
Nemesis wrote:

I have 1.6mm and 2.0mm bolts to replace all the visible screws in the suspension, as well as some 1.5mm simulated bolts all from Scale Hardware
The bolts in the rotors are the 1.6mm as the 1.5mm bolt heads are too small. The transmission is all done with the 1.5mm simulated bolts. I also used those in the side pod access covers. I'm undecided how crazy I'm going to get with the hardware... you could probably do every bolt you could see in the turbos, wastegates, manifolds, etc... but you have to stop somewhere! LOL

Thank you very much, I know what you mean, next thing you know, its ready to fire up!!!LOL LOL BigGrin
SARON81
#12 Posted : 02 March 2016 15:51:27

Got the monococque painted.
After the silver base, several coats of clear yellow went on:

Then a few coats od smoke on top:

I also put a few coats of smoke on the wing endplates, but somehow had water in my airbrush lines.... so I got fisheyes as you can see in the pictures above. Cursing
So... they'll be sanded, re-taped and sprayed silver to start over again.

Also got all 4 brake discs drilled. My hand's tired from all that pin vise work!
arpurchase
#13 Posted : 02 March 2016 19:12:20

BigGrin Looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

birdaj2
#14 Posted : 02 March 2016 19:47:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Coming along a real treat. I hope you are getting some great build fun out of this one
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
RM1
#15 Posted : 03 March 2016 09:30:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking goodBigGrin
I'm following your monocoque detail closely as I'm about to get to that stage myself and I'm nervous about the extent of the yellow colouring beneath the carbon decal.
Malc.
davetwin
#16 Posted : 03 March 2016 14:28:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice work, the extra detailing looks fantastic. The effort you are putting in is really paying off Cool ThumpUp
SARON81
#17 Posted : 04 March 2016 13:47:58

Thanks for the comments guys! ThumpUp

RM1 wrote:
Looking goodBigGrin
I'm following your monocoque detail closely as I'm about to get to that stage myself and I'm nervous about the extent of the yellow colouring beneath the carbon decal.
Malc.

I was worried about that too... but I was following the directions that came with the decals. It does looks less yellow in person, as the flash accentuates it quite a bit. It's really hard to capture the actual color.
I laid the front monococque decal on last night. I'll probably go over it with another light coat of smoke, then a semi-gloss clear to tone it down just a little, but I'm pretty happy with it overall. Also need to touchup the black line where the decal ends.

(With flash)

Really reflective in this photo!

(Without)
birdaj2
#18 Posted : 04 March 2016 17:09:23

That does look very good indeed. So you paint and then decal with the carbon fibre effect?
Happy Modelling

Nemesis
#19 Posted : 04 March 2016 19:02:54

Very nice finish. I bought the Kevlar colour from Zero paints, will have to see how it compares.BigGrin BigGrin
NSXKid
#20 Posted : 04 March 2016 21:50:52

That looks good!!! Great job!!