Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

My 1:1 1970 Mustang Coupe Options
70 Coupe
#1 Posted : 10 March 2016 12:29:41

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello All.
I'm currently building the Shelby Mustang, I've received the first 4 issues and parts, (along with the free cap, which I must say is very good quality with embroidery instead of printing for the logos).
The build is going OK, only issue I've really had was getting the front bumper to sit properly, I had to very carefully shave plastic from the locating lugs to get it to sit flush against the valance. I can't wait for the next four issues. This the first time I've built a die cast model like this, I did do lots of plastic modelling when I was younger but haven't done any for a lot of years.
I do collect die cast models with a collection of over 300, mainly 1:50 scale older trucks along with models of every car I've ever owned. I don't count the Hot Wheels models of Mustangs and other American muscle cars I've collected over the years.

I thought I would share some photos of my 1:1 scale Mustang which coincidentally is almost the same colour as the Shelby. Being a poor and impoverished Yorkshireman my budget would only stretch to a Coupe.Crying
I imported it myself from California back in 2007, it came on a RORO ship via Yokohama,Japan. I was like a kid waiting for Christmas!

The car is a bit unusual being one of only 133 built that year with the 351 ci Cleveland engine with 4 barrel carb and 4 speed manual transmission (Hirst shifter fitted).
Other options were power disc brakes, power steering, high back seats and rear lap belts.
Aftermarket mods include Mallory electronic ignition, none standard cams (not sure what they are), Ford racing valve covers and a large alloy radiator.
Addition planned this summer is an electric cooling fan as it can get very hot if stood in traffic.

Anyway, here are a few photos for you to have a look at..........

The last photo was of the day I picked Sally up from Southampton docks, the ship in the background was the then new Queen Mary (I believe, or I may be wrong)

Lastly here is a link to supermotors.net which shows photos of other cars I've owned such as my 1970 Ford Ranchero and Ford Granada Coupe

http://www.supermotors.net/users/ukranchero
70 Coupe attached the following image(s):
mustang wedding 001 resize.jpg
mustang wedding 002 resize.jpg
mustang wedding 017 resize.jpg
DSCF3872 resize.jpg
DSCF3886 resize.jpg
DSCF3887 resize.jpg
mustang nostell 004 resize.jpg
mustang nostell 005 resize.jpg
57147539 resize.jpg
Mustang pics 007 resize.jpg
mussie 002 resize.jpg
davetwin
#2 Posted : 12 March 2016 13:40:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That's a beautiful looking Mustang you've got there Drool Drool

Will you be sharing your build of the model on here and are you planning any mods at all?
darbyvet
#3 Posted : 12 March 2016 14:20:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Beautiful Pony there!!

Carl

70 Coupe
#4 Posted : 12 March 2016 14:40:14

Thank You for the nice comments Dave and Carl. It's especially satisfying to receive one from the other side of the pond. I often wonder what Americans make of one of their icons being over here.
I don't think I will be doing any mods to the Shelby, this is my first time build of anything remotely similar.
I may consider it as the build progresses.
I'll see about sharing the build, I will be watching closely for any hints or tips. This forum has been extremely useful so far. I will definitely share any issues that may crop up.
The biggest so far was the lousy fit of the front bumper onto the valance as I wrote about in my original post.
Thanks again guys and Happy Modelling!BigGrin
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 12 March 2016 17:29:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Stunning example, Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

darbyvet
#6 Posted : 12 March 2016 17:55:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

70 Coupe wrote:
Thank You for the nice comments Dave and Carl. It's especially satisfying to receive one from the other side of the pond. I often wonder what Americans make of one of their icons being over here.
I don't think I will be doing any mods to the Shelby, this is my first time build of anything remotely similar.
I may consider it as the build progresses.
I'll see about sharing the build, I will be watching closely for any hints or tips. This forum has been extremely useful so far. I will definitely share any issues that may crop up.
The biggest so far was the lousy fit of the front bumper onto the valance as I wrote about in my original post.
Thanks again guys and Happy Modelling!BigGrin

As long as it is well loved I think Americans would be fine with a Mustang in UK and it certainly looks like it is a cherished car!!!!

Carl

70 Coupe
#7 Posted : 13 March 2016 19:17:05

She's certainly loved Carl, never comes out on a winters day if there's a remote chance of any salt being on the roads, don't mind the rain in summer, that's not corrosive.....................BigGrin