Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
GoofyFoot's San Fran II Build Diary Options
GoofyFoot
#1 Posted : 17 March 2016 17:42:59

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

While I'm saving up for the Millennium Falcon build, I at least have something to work on. I started this back in Nov of 2014, got stuck for about a year, worrying about planking the hull. I'd never planked a hull before, and I was really worried about screwing it up. Finally in Feb of this year, I decided to suck it up and get started with planking and just figure it out as I went. Of course, I'd be lying if I said that needing the work-space for the Falcon wasn't an additional motivating factor. Laugh

Anyways...most of these pics are old, and there will be a huge gap between the last of them and where I'm at now.

But here goes...
If at first you don't succeed,

maybe you should skip the chainsaw juggling...
GoofyFoot
#2 Posted : 17 March 2016 18:11:04

So, this being only my second wood model kit ever, I didn't have a lot of supplies on hand, and after buying both the kit and the tools I deemed absolutely necessary, I didn't have much left over to buy a commercially available jig to hold the false keel in place and prevent it from warping, so I had to create one of my own.

Here you can see that I've attached 4 corner braces to a peg-board table, The two braces in the rear are fixed, while the two in front are able to slide back and forth to create clamps to hold the keel in place. A side benefit to using this type of brace is that the triangular side of the brace attached to the two arms creates yet another 90 degree angle allowing me to use it to butt up against the individual bulkhead frame to ensure that they are perfectly perpendicular to the keel.

Here you can see the underside of the jig table showing where I cut away the material between two holes to allow the corner braces to slide together with the fixed braces.

And here you can see the jig in action. A pretty quick and dirty jig, but I feel like I got out of it what I needed.

GoofyFoot
#3 Posted : 17 March 2016 18:21:33

Here, I've got all of the framing done.

Here, you can see the decks have been installed.

...and here you can see the deck planking done. I made a conscious decision to not depict the trenailing on the deck planking as I didn't care for the looks. Additionally, you can see where I've filled the bulkhead sections near the bow with balsa to help provide a better surface for the hull planking to adhere to.

GoofyFoot
#4 Posted : 17 March 2016 18:23:34

I did some experimenting with deck finishing by taking a bunch of scraps of the deck planking wood and gluing them together into a false "deck". I then attempted to "age" the wood by applying a thin wash of lt brown/grey. Unfortunately, I was not happy with the results so I decided I would just go ahead and paint the deck with a Minwax Polycrylic Clear Coat with a flat satin finish.

Before starting this, I tested the Polycrylic on a small section of a thin mahogany strip, to see if I could get away with not staining the mahogany. This was also unsatisfactory, as I felt it didn't really bring out the rich red of the wood. So, I tested Minwax Cherry Wood Finish on a similarly small strip of the mahogany, and liked the results.

You can also see here that I've attached the bulwarks to the sides of the hull.

GoofyFoot
#5 Posted : 17 March 2016 18:32:07

Here is the last photo from before I got stuck.

Here you can see that I've started adding the mahogany strips to the rear of the hull.

Later tonight I'll take some pictures of where the build is at right now, and I'll continue to update with further progress.

Martyn Ingram
#6 Posted : 17 March 2016 18:42:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Very nicely done Cool looking forward to the next update

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
delboy271155
#7 Posted : 17 March 2016 18:52:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Good stuff, glad to see you carried on with this build.BigGrin

Keep up the good work and look forward to your next update.

Congrats on your blue medal for starting your diary. Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

birdaj2
#8 Posted : 17 March 2016 20:08:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hope you are really enjoying your build - its looking great.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
magpie1832
#9 Posted : 17 March 2016 23:21:38

You've made a really good start on her. The mahogany isn't the easiest to use for planing but looks really nice when finished.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gandale
#10 Posted : 18 March 2016 00:34:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks good am sure you'll get used to the planking as you progress, its' not too difficult if you take your time and be patient. Soak the strips well before you try to bend them and ensure you plank the hull evening, ie, when you have completed one strip add the same trip to the other side.... Will be looing out for you next post to see you you've got on with it..... Good luck.....

Regards

Alan
GoofyFoot
#11 Posted : 18 March 2016 02:15:07

So here you can see where I am at this point. I've completed the planking, and in fact have nearly completed the entire body of the ship. I chose not to use the nails in the hull planking as I didn't like the look of them. I hope it doesn't come back to bite me later. I've also skipped some of the steps because I wanted to varnish as much of the woodwork together w/o any of the metal on it. I'll install the gun-port doors, the doors, windows, cannons etc once I have everything varnished.

GoofyFoot
#12 Posted : 22 March 2016 14:11:28

Okay...time to work on the cannons.

First, I had to file down the casting seams. In the image below, you can see one that I've filed down on the left, next to one straight out of the box on the right.

Once I had them all filed down, I needed to prime them. Here you can see that I've mounted each of the cannons to an old sanding sponge using toothpicks, and then sprayed with a cheap can of metal primer I picked up at Walmart.

I then painted each of them with Testor's Gold enamel and glued them down to their mounts. In this picture, you an see me using a dental floss threader to pull the cannon ropes through the holes in the mounts.

Now, I don't know if this was the right or wrong thing to do, but the next three pictures show a technique I thought of after I had done a few of the cannon ropes. I think I remembered seeing something like this before, so I tried it, and I liked the results better than the first few I had tried.

Basically, I threaded a smaller thread along with the rope through the eye-hook, as seen here.

Then I pinched the end of the cannon rope against the main section of the rope on the other side of the eye-hook, and wrapped the smaller thread around the pinched section of rope, like so...

Then, once it was all wrapped up, I used a small dab of glue to secure the thread to the rope, and snipped off the end, like so.

It was pretty fiddly, but I think it looked better than just gluing the pinched ends of the rope to themselves.

GoofyFoot
#13 Posted : 22 March 2016 14:17:02

The last photo I'll share this morning is of an impromptu jig I set up for creating the squared off section at the top of the main mast. Using the ring that fits over the mast and secures to the deck, with a rubber band to keep it from sliding down the mast, I used it as a sanding stop to keep myself from sanding too far down the mast. It wasn't perfect, but it worked pretty well, and I continued to use that same technique for the fore and mizzen masts as well.

GoofyFoot
#14 Posted : 22 March 2016 14:29:33

I did take some more photos that I won't be sharing at this time. I had finished lacquering the hull and attached all of the metal parts and took photos, but the photos made the lacquer look awful. The problem was, prior to laquering I used a wood putty to seal up gaps and dings in the hull that sanding wasn't able to fix, and the putty didn't match very well. To the naked eye, its not noticeable unless you're looking for it, but in the photos it looked like wood where the finish had worn away in places and had weathered due to exposure.

Its quite disappointing to look at. I supposed I could sand it down and try to sand away more to the exposed putty, but I'm really worried about ruining the model at this point when it looks pretty good to the naked eyes, so I haven't decided what to do about it yet. Glare

ian smith
#15 Posted : 22 March 2016 15:04:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Goffyfoot.
it sometimes pays to put up pictures of mistakes. As there are lots of experienced modlers who me be able to give you advice on how to get around your problems.
look forward to seeing your progress Ian.
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Martyn Ingram
#16 Posted : 22 March 2016 15:05:30

BigGrin Looking good very nicely done Cool

You could sand the filler down abit and touch up with a wash of watered down brown paint and then lacquer over the top Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
birdaj2
#17 Posted : 22 March 2016 19:13:29

Very nicely put together. Should end up with a very good model at the end of your build.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
magpie1832
#18 Posted : 22 March 2016 23:43:45

Very nicely done. Your doing such a great job on her.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gandale
#19 Posted : 22 March 2016 23:59:52

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely work and some very nice techniques being shared....Cool Cool .. Keep the pics coming...

Regards

Alan
Tomick
#20 Posted : 23 March 2016 09:08:27

Groups:

Nice work and well done Cool