Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Gorilla glue or Aliphatic Rapid Glue Options
Shauncnh
#1 Posted : 18 March 2016 21:34:43

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

hi all, I am going to start building my deagostini rc spitfire this week end and was wondering which type of glue to use?
I have gorilla glue and aliphatic rapid glue, or should I be looking at getting something else?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Best regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
Build- titanic,Skyrider drone, solar system, T72 tank
tf64
#2 Posted : 18 March 2016 22:24:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Shauncnh,
As l am not familiar with this build can you tell us what type of material it will be made of.
Regards
Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Shauncnh
#3 Posted : 18 March 2016 22:40:49

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

tf64 wrote:
Hi Shauncnh,
As l am not familiar with this build can you tell us what type of material it will be made of.
Regards
Trev.

Hi Trev,
thanks for your replyBigGrin . It is a plywood frame with wooden stingers and a balsa wood skin which is then wrapped with a heat shrink plastic. The frame has to be strong as I plan on flying it and it is powered buy a nitro engine.

Best regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
Tomick
#4 Posted : 19 March 2016 09:22:27

Groups:

Original Gorilla is much heavier than PVA.

On a RC aircraft your looking to keep the overall weight down. I used Aliphatic for the wooden structure. Also, the orginal Gorilla glue is water activated, the last thing you want is your airframe water soaked!

Don't attempt to fly your Spit unless you have previous model aircraft flight experience. Get a high wing trainer and join a club. But even after a Trainer, a nitro Spitfire is a 3rd or 4th model to aspire to because of its fast agile flight and low wing.

The existing elevator and aileron pushrods are a bit on the soft side, so its a good idea to upgrade these and also upgrade the aileron links. You can use birch dowel or bowden cable, and keep their route as straight as possible.

Finally its a good idea to join the BMFA which also provide 3rd party insurance.
Shauncnh
#5 Posted : 19 March 2016 12:34:50

Hi Mr T,
Thanks for the adviceBigGrin , I'll stick to the Aliphatic glue I've been using on to build my Lancaster with. I have been looking at getting a trainer plane to practice with. Hopefully going to start the build later today or tomorrow, just got to finish a few jobs off at work first.
Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire