Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
GoofyFoot's Falcon Build Diary Options
GoofyFoot
#1 Posted : 23 March 2016 02:40:08

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Well, I've done it...with all the extra overtime on my latest paycheck, I've just crossed the $1000 mark in dedicated savings I set as my threshold before I could order this beautiful hunk of galactic junk. So I've just placed my order! Woot Additionally, I've signed up to the 12 month plan, so I don't have to wait 2 years before this is done! BigGrin

Let this be the beginning of my build diary. I guess in about a month, I'll get my first 8 or so packs, and I can start posting my progress here! I can't wait!! BigGrin
If at first you don't succeed,

maybe you should skip the chainsaw juggling...
S4Simon
#2 Posted : 23 March 2016 03:28:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the party. and dam you for having the option of a 12 month build. Us Aussies will be finishing ours sometime in 2018. But don't fear, I hear that when Trump wins he's going to ban all imported goods into the US. ;-)
BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
GoofyFoot
#3 Posted : 23 March 2016 03:31:53

S4Simon wrote:
Welcome to the party. and dam you for having the option of a 12 month build. Us Aussies will be finishing ours sometime in 2018. But don't fear, I hear that when Trump wins he's going to ban all imported goods into the US. ;-)

You're an evil man for saying stuff like that. Glare

lol BigGrin

GoofyFoot
#4 Posted : 30 March 2016 10:53:31

Woot I just got the notification that my first shipment has been sent! That was much faster than I was anticipating! I can hardly wait! BigGrin

GoofyFoot
#5 Posted : 07 April 2016 23:34:30

So I got my first shipment on Saturday, and have been busy building her! BigGrin Below are the pics I've taken so far.

Unpacking:

Drilling out the Laser Turret holes:

Chair weathering:

Partial Cockpit:

GoofyFoot
#6 Posted : 07 April 2016 23:37:46

I've been debating whether or not to try adding some fiber optic lighting to the cockpit, with my main hesitation being that I've never done so before, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger today on a package of multi-colored fiber from the link in colson's build diary. I'm hoping I can count on some help from you all if I get stuck...Blushing

Moonman
#7 Posted : 11 April 2016 15:01:12

I know exactly how you felt regarding the fiber optics. I was hesitant myself but took the plunge by upgrading my navigation console and was very pleased with the results. Besides, there is a wealth of fiber optic tech support on this forum in the unlikely event you get in trouble.
GoofyFoot
#8 Posted : 12 April 2016 03:16:40

Here's my cockpit with Han and Chewie.

GoofyFoot
#9 Posted : 12 April 2016 03:16:40

Accidental double post...Blushing Blushing

Markwarren
#10 Posted : 12 April 2016 08:05:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice paintwork on Han & Chewie, your build is coming on very nicely. BigGrin
GoofyFoot
#11 Posted : 12 April 2016 12:19:38

Thanks Mark! BigGrin

My fiber optics arrived yesterday. Now I'm just waiting for my .25 mm drill bits, and I'll be good to go. Cool

LrdSatyr8
#12 Posted : 12 April 2016 18:06:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Off to a great start there my friend! I'm sure you'll be catching up with the rest of use shortly!
GoofyFoot
#13 Posted : 12 April 2016 19:10:00

Thanks Satyr! Its still gonna be a while before I'm caught up (in fact, I'll never catch up with the early adopters), but there's a lot to be said for following in others footsteps. For instance, I get the advantage of looking at all the work that has gone on before me, picking the ideas that I like/think I can reasonably pull off, and incorporating them with my own thoughts. BigGrin

Shauncnh
#14 Posted : 12 April 2016 19:23:13

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Excellent workCool look forward to seeing the rest of your build.

Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
Build- titanic,Skyrider drone, solar system, T72 tank
GoofyFoot
#15 Posted : 16 April 2016 00:35:34

Well, crap. My drill bits came in today, and I've already broken all five that I ordered. The sad thing is, I almost ordered 10, but I thought, "Nah...I'll be able to get what I need to do done with 5. Sad

I only got six fibers installed, so I'm going to have to order more bits. I think I'm probably going to order .3 mm rather than .25 mm this time. Hopefully that will make it so I don't have to ream the hole out more (post-drilling) to get the fibers in, and that will save me some bits.make the bits last a bit longer.

Anyways, here's what I've got so far.

Anyone have suggestions for glue to secure them? I tried CA on the bundle of 3 on the right, and it ate away the color, so that's obviously a no-go.

Thanks in advance!

colson
#16 Posted : 16 April 2016 00:54:38

Little bit of hot glue on the backside works. But I used superglue on the back side with no problems.
davetwin
#17 Posted : 16 April 2016 01:00:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You can't go wrong with PVA glue for securing the fibres. Hot glue will work but you need to be careful as some hot glue is hotter than others and will melt the fibres.

With regards to the drill bits, a lot of patience is required when using the smaller ones BigGrin
Markwarren
#18 Posted : 16 April 2016 10:06:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Just to reiterate Dave comments, PVA works well, but don’t use super glue on the fibers as it will destroy them, as it will eat into the fibers. As for the drill bits, I done exactly the same just don’t apply too much pressure when drilling. But well done, it’s coming on very nicely.BigGrin
GoofyFoot
#19 Posted : 16 April 2016 13:32:06

Thanks guys! I'll try some PVA and see how that goes. I ordered 20 .3 mm bits last night. Those ought to get me through this project (says the guy who broke 5 in 2 hours Laugh ).

Seriously though, with one exception I thought I was being careful. That being said, I really think not having to use the bit like it was sandpaper to ream the hole out to a larger size to fit the fiber through will help extend the life of the bits.

On the plus side, I finally got my order of rigging thread, so I can go back to work on tying the ratlines on my San Fran II build this week while I'm waiting for my drill bits. BigGrin

LrdSatyr8
#20 Posted : 18 April 2016 20:23:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I use Elmer's white glue for gluing my fibers in place. Don't have to worry about it eating or melting the fibers at all! CA glue tends to eat them, Hot Glue melts them, Epoxie gets too hot and melts them as well. White glue has always worked without doing any damage to the fibers at all!