Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages 123>»
Shaun's RC Spitfire Build Options
Shauncnh
#1 Posted : 02 April 2016 18:20:52

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi all, this is my first build dairy so you'll all have to bare with me.Cursing
For my first build I have decided to go with my RC Deagostini Spitfire I recently acquired.
Before I started I have been through the kit and check I have all the parts and that none are damaged.
Building-RC spitfire
Build- titanic,Skyrider drone, solar system, T72 tank
Gandale
#2 Posted : 02 April 2016 18:26:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Now this is good news Shaun, hope you thoroughly enjoy your new venture. Look forward to following your progress all the way through and good luck with the build....

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 02 April 2016 18:27:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Shaun,BigGrin

I`m sure your diary will be fine.BigGrin

There is a wealth of experience here, so should you need any advice/help then just ask.

Most of all enjoy the experience.Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#4 Posted : 02 April 2016 19:10:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Shaun

Will you be doing an IC build or converting her to electric flight and she should be a cool build with plenty of help if you need it.

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

stevie_o
#5 Posted : 02 April 2016 19:49:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Shauncnh
#6 Posted : 02 April 2016 20:44:41

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks guys for the supportCool , sure I'm going to need help and advice along the way.BigGrin
Andy I will be building will an nitro IC engine as I have one will the kit and I'm not a big fan of electric motors. I will however be upgrading all the electronics to work with my futaba 10j transmitter I have for my heli.
Anyways lets get started with the build,
Stage 1, parts supplied
After opening the part I first removed the wooden plugs still in the 5 holes in bulkhead 1, and the gave all the parts a light sand with 240grit to remove any rough edges and residue on the surface,

next I test fitted the front fuselage base, right-hand side frame and front bulkhead 1,
as you can see the front bulkhead sits at an slight angle to the base ,
The final step to this stage is to stick the yellow decals on the prop, I am not happy with how the decal look and am thinking of removing them and paint the tips yellow,
that it for stage 1
regards shaun

Building-RC spitfire
Gandale
#7 Posted : 02 April 2016 21:07:48

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks like a great start Shaun and good presentation on the diary too. Only comment I would have is to make your images just a little smaller, this would save members having to scroll along to see all the pic....Cool Cool .. Look forward to your next update...

Regards

Alan
Shauncnh
#8 Posted : 02 April 2016 21:13:52

Lets get straight back at it with stage 2,BigGrin

in this stage I have the left main fuselage, bulkhead 2, one of the front wheels, a paint brush for applying glue to the joints and a pot of jelly LOL that says glue on the top.
as before I started by sanding the edges and test fitting the second bulkhead and left hand fuselage frame, I had to sand a little bit move on the second bulkhead as it was a very tight fit,
Next I dissembled and then reassembled will aliphatic glue, I assembled one part at a time clamping the parts and allowing to set before continuing,

before installing the second bulkhead I brushed glue along the joints to help strengthen
next came the second bulkhead and left hand fuselage,
finally I glued the two halves of the front wheel together with super glue and clamped,
that's it for the day, time to let the glue dry completely and have another go tomorrow,

Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
tf64
#9 Posted : 02 April 2016 21:54:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Shauncna,
Welcome,that's a good looking kit you have, looking forward to your posts.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Nemesis
#10 Posted : 02 April 2016 21:56:57

Nice start, love to see a Spit come together in any style, be it static or flying!Love Drool BigGrin
davetwin
#11 Posted : 03 April 2016 07:49:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start Shaun, looking forward to more and seeing a video of her flying BigGrin Cool
arpurchase
#12 Posted : 03 April 2016 08:26:25

BigGrin Looking great and a very nice startCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Shauncnh
#13 Posted : 03 April 2016 08:29:32

Hi guys thanks for your supports and kind words. BigGrin BigGrin
Alan, I can see what you mean about the photos being a bit big, hopefully I've figured out how to resize them how using window 10Confused , still used to windows 7 that I use at workLOL .
davetwin, going to be a while till I get to fly her, got to get myself a trainer plane and learn to fly firstBigGrin
Hopefully there will be any update later today Cool (with resized pics I hopeLOL LOL)
Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
tf64
#14 Posted : 03 April 2016 10:14:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Shauncna,
Looking forward to your next post.

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Shauncnh
#15 Posted : 03 April 2016 16:15:46

Hi everyone its time for issue 3 of my buildBigGrin ,
hopefully the pics will be a more reasonable size this timeLOL LOL
in issue 3 I have bulkheads 4 and 5, the servo base(not use in this issue), three strings and a front tyre.

first off as before all parts are sanded with 240grit to remove any rough edges.
Next glue is applied to the two fuselage side where bulkhead 4 will fit.

bulkhead 4 so then put in place and clamped,
while bulkhead 4 same setting I when ahead and glued bulkhead 5 to the ends of the fuselage and clamped into place

after this glue was applied to the three notches at the top of the bulkhead and a stringer are fitted in to each one and clamped until the glue is dry,

last off the tyre was fitted to the rim assembled in issue 2 with the aid off a pair of tweezers,

that's it for issue 3, all that remains is to cut the stringer off lever with the bulkheads when the glue dries.

thank you all for looking in BigGrin and any advice would be much appreciated LOL. The pics size is now set to 660 x 495 pixels, if this is still to big I will resize them just let me know.Cool

Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
stevie_o
#16 Posted : 03 April 2016 16:21:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Shauncnh
#17 Posted : 03 April 2016 22:03:01

Hi Steve thanks for your commentsBigGrin
Unfortunately it still going to take a few months to complete as I am just starting my busy season at work and probably only be able too work on the kit every other weekendCrying . Still I'll work on it when I can and keep everyone posted on my progress

Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
ian smith
#18 Posted : 03 April 2016 22:54:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Shaun.
Great start to your build.
Look forward to seeing this come together.
Regards Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
tf64
#19 Posted : 04 April 2016 17:58:10

Coming along at a pace Shaun well done.

Regards

Trev.

arpurchase
#20 Posted : 04 April 2016 19:32:15

BigGrin Hi Shaun

If I remember correctly the nose cone is made of an ABS type plastic that needs the holes for the engine, needle valve and exhaust cutting out after cutting the holes it might be a good idea to line the inside area with laminating epoxy and a fine mesh nylon or glass fibre cloth. The reason im suggesting this is ABS plastic will very quickly fracture from the vibrations from the engine lining the insides will strengthen it and it should last longer.

Regards

AndyCool