Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<23456>»
Shaun's RC Spitfire Build Options
tf64
#61 Posted : 30 October 2016 19:41:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Nice update Shaun, will watch for the next posting.

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

tigerace
#62 Posted : 30 October 2016 23:59:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great update ShaunBigGrin glad your on the mendCool look forward to you next updateDrool Cool regards Phil
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

davetwin
#63 Posted : 31 October 2016 01:45:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really nice tidy work Shaun, great job ThumpUp
ModelMania
#64 Posted : 31 October 2016 10:29:18

Groups:

Excellent work Shaun, looks like you are really making progress with this build and I'm impressed by your neatness - very well done. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Shauncnh
#65 Posted : 03 November 2016 21:15:49

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks everyone for your kind words. BigGrin BigGrin

Stay tuned for another update this weekend.Cool

Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
Build- titanic,Skyrider drone, solar system, T72 tank
Shauncnh
#66 Posted : 06 November 2016 14:53:22

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi everyone
I was hoping to post a build update today but unfortunately I have no internet connection at the moment Cursing and I can't get Photobucket to work from my phone to add the photos.
As soon as they have it fixed I will update you all on my progress.Cool

Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
Shauncnh
#67 Posted : 12 November 2016 16:55:08

Hi all,
Due to having no phone or internet for the past 8 days I have been unable to update you on my buildCursing Cursing

I am still without internet however I am going to try using my mobiles data service and personal hotspot to my laptop to update you on my progress with issue 14.BigGrin

I am however unable to access photobucket that I would normal use so I will have to post pictures straight from my laptop.Crying Crying

Anyway on to update 14.
Parts supplied with this issue are balsa sheet 2x100x300mm, mdf base for wing jig, plywood base for wing jig, 3 aluminium tubes and silicone fuel pipe. (Pic 1)

The first step is to cut using a razor saw one 80mm long and two 35mm blocks from the 20x32x310mm balsa baton supplied in issue 13. (Pic 2)

Next a 15mm by 15mm notch in the 80mm long piece. (Pic 3)

This piece is then glued to the centre of the fuselage base between bulkheads 1 and 2 with the notch to the rear of the plane. (Pic 4)

Next one 79mm and one 81mm long pieces are cut from the 20x32x310mm balsa baton. These are then glued and clamped in place along with the two 35mm long pieces to the fuselage base. (Pic 5)

While the glue sets one of the aluminium tubes is cut to 45mm long and then he fuel tank cap is assemble.(Pics 6 and 7)

After the glue has set the clamps are removed and two 20mm long 13x38mm baton are glued in the gap at the front of the fuselage. The majority of the batons then cut away and the sanded back lever with the bulkheads. (Pics 8 and 9)

When cutting back the batons a piece of one broke off leaving a notch which can be seen in picture nine. I filled this with a piece of 4x4mm stringer and sanded flush. (Pics 10 and 11)

That's it for this update hope all the pictures upload in the correct order.
Regards Shaun

Shauncnh attached the following image(s):
DSC02179.JPG
DSC02180.JPG
DSC02181.JPG
DSC02182.JPG
DSC02183.JPG
DSC02184.JPG
DSC02185.JPG
DSC02186.JPG
DSC02188.JPG
DSC02189.JPG
DSC02187.JPG
Building-RC spitfire
tf64
#68 Posted : 12 November 2016 19:12:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Shaun,

Looking good, glad you made it with the picture issue, nice work with the balsa block it's starting to take shape very nicely, looking forward to your next posting.

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Gandale
#69 Posted : 13 November 2016 00:01:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Making great progress with this, coming along beautifully.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
ModelMania
#70 Posted : 13 November 2016 11:15:11

Groups:

Very nice work Shaun, looking really good and I hope you get your internet problems solved soon. Cool ThumpUp

I notice that your clamps are leaving indents in the balsa. Have you considered using small pads of sacrificial balsa between the clamp faces and the model parts, it would save a lot of sanding/filling? Just a constructive thought that might help. Cool

Kev Smile
magpie1832
#71 Posted : 13 November 2016 12:31:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great work Shaun, Starting to take shape now.
Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Shauncnh
#72 Posted : 13 November 2016 18:28:21

Thank everyone for looking in and your commentsBigGrin BigGrin
Kev, thanks for the advise on using pads to stop the clamps marking the balsaCool.

Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
Shauncnh
#73 Posted : 25 November 2016 20:55:34

Everybody stay tuned for another build update tomorrow BigGrin Cool
Building-RC spitfire
Shauncnh
#74 Posted : 26 November 2016 14:13:15

Hi everyone its time for another build update.
But first I would like to take a few minutes to share a few photos of my align trex 450L dominator that crashed last weekend.Cursing Cursing Crying

As you can see the main shaft which is 5mm titanium is bend and the carbon fibre main blades cracked. Also the tail boom is bend, the main gear stripped and all three main head servos have been damaged. This just goes to show the power of they machines when in flight.

And now onto the update 15.
With this issue we have been supplied two 2x100x300mm balsa sheets, spar 2 for the wing jig and the fuel tank pendulum.

The first step in this issue is to sand the balsa piece glue to the top of the bulkheads in issue 9. I did this by first clamping a steel ruler to the top of the piece and cutting away most of the waste first before sanding back to the bulkheads and the steel ruler.

Next the two balsa sheets are glued to the rear of the fuselage with ca glue. One on each side.

After the glue has set the balsa sheets are trimmed lever with the piece sanded in step one and around the cockpit area.

The final step in this issue in to bend the two longer tubes on the fuel tank stopper and to fit the pendulum to the shorter one with a 80mm long piece of fuel pipe.

That's all for this update

Regards Shaun

Building-RC spitfire
Shauncnh
#75 Posted : 26 November 2016 21:51:41

Update 16 should be up tomorrow

Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
ModelMania
#76 Posted : 26 November 2016 22:28:48

Groups:

Another nice update on the Spitfire Shaun, very neat and tidy as always and she's certainly coming together. Very well done and thanks for sharing. Cool ThumpUp

Sorry to hear that you've damaged your heli, sounds like some expensive damage to put right but salvageable at least, so not too bad I suppose, could be worse. Hope she flies again soon. Was it the strong winds we've been having that caused the crash or was it mechanical problems?

Kev Smile
delboy271155
#77 Posted : 26 November 2016 22:45:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looking good. Cool Cool

Very neat and methodical work well done.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Shauncnh
#78 Posted : 27 November 2016 12:44:48

Thank you for looking in and all your kind words.Cool BigGrin
Kev I am going to rebuild the heli in the new year and hopefully get it flying again.BigGrin As for the crash it has had an unexplained tail wobble since new Confused that normal happens on the ground but this time it started at about 100ft in the air, I tried to land but it ended up nose driving into the ground.

Now onto issue 16, and parts supplied one 6x15x300mm balsa baton, one 12x20x300mm balsa baton, one 6x100x195mm balsa sheet engine mounts and bolts, spars for wing jig and cutting template for tail fin (not shown in pic)

I have lost most of the photos for this issue so I only have photos of the complete stages.
The first step is to start assembling the wing jig. For this the two base parts are glued together with wood glue and left to dry. Why the first three spars are glued in place ensuring they are at 90 to the base.

The next step I photocopied the template for the tail fin and cut out the individual part are glued them onto the 6x100x195mm sheet. I then cut out the parts, sanded and glued them together using the original template to insure the correct fit.

The final step is to install the fuel tank stopper into the fuel tank and insure the tubes are positioned correctly inside the tank.

That's all for this issue another update coming soon.

Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
tigerace
#79 Posted : 27 November 2016 14:24:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great update ShaunBigGrin should be pretty big when completeDrool Love sorry about your heliCrying good luck with the rebuildCool Phil
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

delboy271155
#80 Posted : 27 November 2016 15:13:07

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Another nice update, Cool .

Good to see that you have a wing jig. That should be a very helpful aid in construction of the wings.

It appears I omitted to award your "Blue" medal when you started your diary,(apologies for that Blushing )now awarded, Congratulations.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"