Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<34567>
Shaun's RC Spitfire Build Options
tf64
#81 Posted : 27 November 2016 16:14:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Bad luck on the Trex 450 looks like a new rotor hub, tail boom, and may be a swash plate,and plenty of new screws.

Shaun, thanks for the update on the Spit, its coming on well and it looks like it will be a strong model when finished.

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

davetwin
#82 Posted : 27 November 2016 21:42:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That's painful with your Trex 450, I can imagine there was a choice few swear words that were expressed Crying

Your Spitfire is coming along quite nicely though Cool
Shauncnh
#83 Posted : 30 November 2016 23:04:02

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi guys thank you all for looking in and your kind comments BigGrin
I am planning on rebuilding the heli in the new yearCool I am planning on upgrading some of the damaged parts and it going to cost between 150 and 200 to get her flying againCrying
I am now up to issue 20 on my build and I will update you all whe no get more time at the weekendBigGrin
I did run into a little problem when my Yorkshire terrier decided to jump on the fuselage putting a hole in the balsaAngry
I have now repaired the damaged and will show the repair when I get to that stage with the updateLOL
I will leave you all with a photo of the little culprit LOL
Regards Shaun
File Attachment(s):
IMG_0641.JPG (1,490kb) downloaded 62 time(s).
Building-RC spitfire
Build- titanic,Skyrider drone, solar system, T72 tank
Tomick
#84 Posted : 01 December 2016 08:28:50

Groups:

Can you guys keep this topic on topic and discuss helicopter matters elsewhere such as in aviation discussion
Shauncnh
#85 Posted : 04 December 2016 13:02:19

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thank you to everyone that just looked in or commented. BigGrin

Its time for update 17.Cool

With issue 17 parts supplied are
Spar 1 and 2 of the wing assemble jig, sheet of 2x100x300mm balsa and engine mounting bolts, nuts and washers.

The first step with is issue is to glue the short spar 2 too the wing assemble jig and clamp in place until the glue sets.

While the glue sets I noticed that at the rear end of the fuselage there is about a 2mm gap. In the instructions it just says to glue the tail fin over this gap but I do not real this was going to give must surface area for the glue. I decide to cut a piece of the 2mm balsa sheet and glue into this gap.

After the glue had set on the wing jig it is time to glue spar one into place finishing the wing jig.

Next it is time to glue and clamp the tail fin in place. Two 6mm blocks are used to keep the correct gap above the fuselage and it must be completely vertical to the fuselage.

After the glue has completely set the clamps are removed and the piece are the tail fin below the fuselage cut off.

Next the area to the rear of the fuselage is sanded and the sheet of balsa glued in place. I had a gap in the fuselage skin where I had glued the previous sheets on to far forward.

This sheet is then cut back lever with the bottom of the fuselage and then repeated on the other side of the fuselage.

That's all for this issue and update 18 coming soon.

Regards Shaun

Building-RC spitfire
Tomick
#86 Posted : 04 December 2016 13:25:06

Groups:

Looking good, your build has fond memories of my heading up this project and the test flights out in Barcelona Cool
birdaj2
#87 Posted : 04 December 2016 17:04:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very neat and tidy build you are doing.

Hope it all continues to go well for you.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Shauncnh
#88 Posted : 11 December 2016 18:52:35

Thank you to everyone for looking in as always.BigGrin
Thank you Mr T I am having lots off fun building this one and can only imagine what it must have be like to work of the project and the first ever flight tests.Cool
Thank you Tony there has been a few problems along the way and their will be an update shortly showing the damage caused to the fuselage by my Yorkshire terrierCrying and the repair work. This will come between updates 19 and 20 of the build.
This is a photo showing the fuselage so far.

Sorry for the mess on the benchLOL
Now time for update 18.
Parts supplied with this issue are,
Two sheets of 2x100x300mm balsa, Tail and elevator horns and bases and self tapping screws.

The first stage in this issue is to cut a 14mm wide 30mm long piece from the left over 6mm balsa sheet the tail fin was made from.

This is then glued to the last bulkhead under the tail fin.

When this is dry it is sanded back. Next offcuts of 5x5mm baton are cut, shaped and glued to bulkhead.

Next the gap is measured and a piece from one of the 2x100x300mm sheets is cut and glued to the gap between the last two bulkheads.

Next two more offcuts of 5x5mm baton are cut and glued to the last bulkhead and under the support plate.

The final step in this issue is to measure the final balsa skin panel for the left hand side cut and glue into place. The hole area is then trimmed and sanded.

That's all for this updateCool
Update 19 tomorrow.
Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
Tomick
#89 Posted : 11 December 2016 19:08:05

Groups:

She fly's fast and hard as is, but reduce the risk of aileron flutter by dumping the single aileron servo and its control rods, and swop for a hatch mounted servo into each wing and also use bowden cables for the long control run along the fus.

Build is looking good Cool
Shauncnh
#90 Posted : 11 December 2016 20:22:53

Thank you Mr T for the adviseCool
I have spoken to a few people who have the model and they have all said the same about moving the servos into the wings. Some have said also about using Bowden cables and others have said to use two push/pull rods.
I will be upgrading all the radio gear to futaba servos, receiver and 10j transmitter.
Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
davetwin
#91 Posted : 11 December 2016 22:09:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really neat work Shaun ThumpUp

You will have to post a video when you get her up flying BigGrin
Gandale
#92 Posted : 11 December 2016 22:30:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Am truly enjoying your build Shaun and look forward to the day you get her into the air.... hope you will share the experience with us of her taking her maiden flight....Cool Cool .. Look forward to your next update...

Regards

Alan
Shauncnh
#93 Posted : 12 December 2016 20:47:21

Thank you everyone for looking in and your commentsCool
Alan and davetwin I will hopefully post a video of her in flightBigGrin but as for her maiden flight I'm not sure.
I wouldn't want to crash her into the ground on cameraCursing LOL
I will however be purchasing a cheap low wing trainer to get some practice in first as I have only ever flown high wing planes and helicopters before.

Anyway now as promised its time for update 19BigGrin
Parts supplied in this issue are,
Sheet of 2x100x300mm balsa, engine cowl and engine cowl fixing screws.

The first step in this issue is to retrieve the two parts left other from issue 12 and glue them to the front edge of bulkhead 1 insuring them are in line with the bulkhead edges and not the edge of the balsa skin.

Next is to cut four 20mm long pieces from the 10x10mm baton from issue 9 and glue these to bulkhead one. The top ones are glued 15mm down from the bottom edge of the former just fitted and the bottom ones 10mm up from the top edge of the lower former just fitted.

The next stage would be to cut the cowling down to size but I want to reinforce it with fibreglass so this will come later in a mod update.
The final stages in this issue is to finish the balsa skin on the rear right of the fuselage the same as in issue 18.

In the next update you will get to see the damageCrying caused to the fuselage by my Yorkshire terrier and the repair work I carried out.

That's all for this update more tomorrow.

Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
Shauncnh
#94 Posted : 17 December 2016 18:34:43

Firstly sorry for not posting the following update on Tuesday Crying I have been feeling very ill the past few days
Any here is the update on the damage my little Yorkshire terrier (Thea) caused to the fuselage

Firstly after telling the little monkey off Angry I cut away all the damaged balsa to get I nice square hole to work with.

This did expose some of the fuselage frame that made the repair easier. I then cut and glued two pieces of balsa to the inside of the skin so the repair patch has something to glue to.

And finally I measured the hole in the fuselage and cut out a repair patch from the left over balsa wood skin and glued this in place with CA glue.

And this completes the repair on the damage. Thank you all for looking in as always and Merry Christmas to you all.
Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
delboy271155
#95 Posted : 17 December 2016 19:21:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

That`s a nice repair job well done.

Is the doggy out of the dog house yet? Crying

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

birdaj2
#96 Posted : 17 December 2016 20:19:08

Pets and Models are a fatal combination.

My cat thinks I am playing with him when I have the planks soaking in a 1 litre pop bottle/ The number of times that has been up ended.

Your aircraft build is looking fantastic. Sounds very complex though with the details of the servos and how they should be placed.

The supplied parts certainly look good though I must say and that engine cowl really does look fantastic.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#97 Posted : 18 December 2016 10:22:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Top job on the repair, all looking fab again....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Tomick
#98 Posted : 18 December 2016 12:10:53

Groups:

A good idea to fill around the cut-out with a microbead filler, otherwise when you come to apply the solarfilm the rectangle will be highlighted.
Overal coming along nicely Cool
tigerace
#99 Posted : 18 December 2016 12:41:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great result with the repair ShaunThumpUp ThumpUp coming along very wellBigGrin regards Phil
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

ModelMania
#100 Posted : 18 December 2016 14:50:03

Groups:

Nice repair Shaun, it looks like your Spitfire has been in a dogfight already (pun intended) but nicely sorted. Cool ThumpUp

Hope you are feeling better now after your illness?

Kev Smile