Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

23 Pages «<1617181920>»
John's Shambles Options
ian smith
#341 Posted : 10 March 2019 15:58:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Cool Progressing very nicely John. Looking very good. BigGrin Drool
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
z8000783
#342 Posted : 17 March 2019 12:30:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Many thanks Lee and Ian.

Back to Greece on Wednesday after a long break and ready to carry on with the gallery. Seems like an age since I last put glue to wood.

z8000783
#343 Posted : 16 May 2019 16:32:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

CONTINUING WITH THE GALLERY

So, back home and working on my lady again but have spent some time trying to figure out the gallery colour scheme though. Just off sailing for a week so I thought I would put these up in the meantime. Still a lot of touching up to do but that normally turns out OK.

At issue #83 we need to paint the gallery frames black and the balusters gold. However, after looking at other builds, the colour scheme suddenly changes to yellow ochre at issue #90 in the instruction, the videos and the official build diary. On consulting my Victory photographs, the gallery is indeed yellow everywhere except behind the balusters and the strip on the mullions.

What I don’t understand is why the need to prepaint the frames black and the balusters gold especially when we have to carefully do the repaint after these have all been fitted to the It’s too late for me now but grateful for any though to assuage my curiosity.

TIP #1: Check all the painting that needs to be done on the gallery at issues #83 & #90 and decide how you want to tackle this before starting.

TIP #2: The frame under the balusters is fitted first, then 2 or 3 balusters are temporally glued to the gallery followed by the upper frame. Do not make this a tight fit. The inside of the baluster area will be brushed with adhesive and then painted black and the paint will get onto the frames. Also you need to pain the balusters, first the primer and then with yellow ochre (see previous tip). If the positioning of the balusters was tight to begin with, you may end up having to file them back a little, as I did. Keeping the gap a little wider is better here and it won’t show in any case.

To the admins and Tom: If anything I suggest is is wrong or misleading for the people coming through behind. Please comment and correct any errors. Thanks.

Gandale
#344 Posted : 16 May 2019 19:22:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice to see you back working on her John and she's coming along very nicely.... very well done....Cool Cool .. The gold balusters are the colour to use for those that are doing the natural finish. For those who are painting their build need to paint the balusters with yellow ochre....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
z8000783
#345 Posted : 16 May 2019 19:38:45

Thanks Alan.

Yes, I realise that now but I made the mistake of not looking ahead. There was no need for me to paint them gold at all as the instructions said. Just warning those coming up behind.

Gandale
#346 Posted : 16 May 2019 19:46:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

z8000783 wrote:
Thanks Alan.

Yes, I realise that now but I made the mistake of not looking ahead. There was no need for me to paint them gold at all as the instructions said. Just warning those coming up behind.

Think the instructions are a little confusing in relation to the natural and painted finishes. A few builders have raised the same issue and I can't see the instructions being altered considering the age of the partwork now....

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#347 Posted : 16 May 2019 19:54:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

John

Very nice update.

Lots of detailing now before you work your way onto the rigging.

Not sure you will get any reply from Tom (Tomick) as he seems to have left the forim shorty after your last post so you might not be aware of that if you have been away.

Hope it all continues well for you.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
z8000783
#348 Posted : 17 May 2019 06:33:35

Thanks Tony.

Yes I do know now but I started putting the post together before I found out a few days ago and missed correcting it.

z8000783
#349 Posted : 17 December 2019 17:39:40

So back to the UK now until March when I can pick up again. Having got to Issue 80 and ⅔ of the way through excluding the tiling, I only managed to get up to 84 this time. This was due to being held up doing the gallery. It was important to get this right as the eye is always drawn there when looking at the ship. Having set the balustrades on one row, I wasn’t happy and so ripped them out and started again. I was also hoping to rig the cannons on the quarter deck last week but again, hit problems. I remember the rigging for the upper gun deck cannons wasn’t too bad but this time I kept breaking the wire that wrapped around the blocks. Then I couldn't get the glue to take when setting the rope in their rings. Hours seemed to disappear just trying to get these to work. In the end, I used slightly thinker wire and I suspect that my PVC adhesive has lost some of its oomph.

Another problem I faced as I continually moved the ship around my working area, was tiles falling off especially along the keel but in other areas as well. I would build up a collection of these and then spend a couple of days putting them back. Finally I decided to give the whole of the tiled area a couple of coats of matt varnish in the hope of pushing back the tarnishing problem. I wasn’t sure about this as the ‘aged’ version looks more realistic, but went for it in the end.

So all in all, a little disappointed that the progress was not as much as I would have hoped for but the weather was great here and the pool was calling. Next up seems to be a number of small tasks all around the deck, taking me up to issue 90 or so. Hopefully these won’t be too onerous.

Anyway that’s it for another year and still enjoying the build immensely frustrating though it can be at times. Here is a selection of pictures showing where I am now. I hope you all have a great Christmas, an even better New Year and see you again soon.

So here is my gorgeous lady.

This is the last point I got to. The ladder is not finished and I need to give it a darker stain.

Finally, here is my work area including a great cook book stand.

Gandale
#350 Posted : 17 December 2019 19:55:52

The time you're taking on this John is time very well spent and your efforts are certainly paying dividends.... She's looking fab....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#351 Posted : 17 December 2019 20:43:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

John

Its all looking very nice.

It is surprising just how long and involved some of the small build tasks can take but your efforts are showing in a very nice looking model.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
goddo
#352 Posted : 18 December 2019 21:17:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

She's looking great John. A credit to your skills and patience.
Have a great Christmas and Happy New Year.
z8000783
#353 Posted : 21 December 2019 11:46:57

Many thanks Alan, Tony and Chris.

Yes, it's certainly taking a lot longer than I originally thought but that's no problem. Still enjoying it immensely.

graycbr
#354 Posted : 30 December 2019 20:29:47

just read this from start to end ..
wow its great work.
I've just brought this complete kit so cant wait to start & follow the great builds on this forum ..
Build
James Bond - DB5
Star wars - Millennium Falcon
Building
Star wars - R2-D2
Star wars - X-Wing
z8000783
#355 Posted : 31 December 2019 14:30:17

graycbr wrote:
just read this from start to end ..

Now there's someone with an iron will...

graycbr wrote:
wow its great work.

Many thanks Graycbr, it's very much appreciated. Do you have a name BTW?

graycbr wrote:
I've just brought this complete kit so cant wait to start & follow the great builds on this forum ..

You've made a great decision. It is a fantastic build and as you can see, I am making mine last as long as possible.

Looking forward to seeing your diary up and your progress. Do ask as many questions as you need to. I could not have got this far without all the help from the forum members.

Garth
#356 Posted : 01 January 2020 17:34:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi John,
Glad to see you back.
The tiles look amazing Drool I'm actually sorry that I didn't fit them to mine Blushing
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
z8000783
#357 Posted : 02 January 2020 20:28:04

Hi Garth, many thanks for your kind comments.

Yes, a lot of work involved but I never liked the look of copper paint right from the off.

goddo
#358 Posted : 29 April 2020 19:38:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi John,
You have been very quiet for a while on your build. How is it going?
Regards. Chris
z8000783
#359 Posted : 01 May 2020 11:15:28

Hi Chris, it is kind of you to ask, thanks.

Well, I was working on the ship up until mid December when I returned to the UK for 3 months. I got back to Greece a few weeks ago just before they shut the airport luckily and so I would normally pick it up again at this point but I started a painting course while in the UK and brought the materials out with me to continue here. It is ready to go on my desk and the next task is placing the cannons on the quarterdeck.

I must say though, with so much on there is nowhere enough time during this lock-down to get everything done. Weird eh? However, I do come on the forum regularly and have been following the builds including yours which is really coming along nicely.

Anyway thanks for the prompt, I will get going again next week.

z8000783
#360 Posted : 17 September 2020 10:55:01

A PRESENT FROM MY STEP SON

My stepson made this for my birthday this year.

He is a fantastic modeller and artist but admits he left the base of the carriage and the wedge, off the model. He also left the steel barrel and the wheels with a dull finish. Well, I couldn’t resist putting this to rights and he was happy for me to go ahead. So here’s the finished result and the pride of my collection.

BEFORE

AFTER

POLISHED AND WITH THE BARREL