Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

23 Pages «<23456>»
John's Shambles Options
MWG
#61 Posted : 12 June 2011 12:59:41

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi John, great piece of kit!Mellow
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

comic123
#62 Posted : 12 June 2011 16:24:15

Yep, our Aldi had a similar one in a few weeks ago, well worth the money.BigGrin
z8000783
#63 Posted : 14 June 2011 12:45:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

So the barrels are finished at last and I can finally put volume 1 to bed, apart from tidying up some loose cannons.

I bought some 1mm masking tape as recommended by someone here and painted the edge black however the paint didn't take well and the edges were rough. Then wrapped the tape around a small plastic bottle first and painted again but still the tape took some of the paint off when dry and left the edges rough once more.

Third try and painted the tape again around a bottle but rewound it around another plastic bottle while it was still wet. I was quite pleased with the result this time.

Used my new rotary tool to cut the ends and drilled a couple of holes for the stoppers, again inspiration from someone here. Stain is warm oak which I am planning to use for the decks with Danish Oil or polish on top if that makes sense. I wanted to get an 'old wood' finish.

Finished at last and patients is still a virtue.

John
MWG
#64 Posted : 14 June 2011 13:19:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very neat job,You should be really proud of the outcome John!ThumpUp
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Foz
#65 Posted : 14 June 2011 20:01:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking really smart there. keep up the good work. ThumpUp
alantait
#66 Posted : 14 June 2011 20:10:41

after seeing your work, i think i will go back and revisit mine... my barrels look very plainDrool
current builds

victory,endeavour,thermoplye,constitution
tom.ganc
#67 Posted : 15 June 2011 00:07:04

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi mate
That's some very nice barrels there. I've not started mine yet but it will be difficult to get anywhere near you Cool
OnCool ce aCool gCool in- greatBigGrin
z8000783
#68 Posted : 26 June 2011 10:34:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

So have now fitted my first drop planks, feels a bit like losing your virginity really.

Many thanks to Darron for the inspiration to work on this. I have some tight curves coming up but I think I have a good idea of what to do now.

Also made a start on the stern with 5 planks and then ripped them out! Boy this is tricky. After trying lots of different ways of bending the planks I noticed how rubbery they became while doing the bows, after soaking in a vacuum flask of boiling water for a couple of hours and then working over the spout of a kettle.

I then used the stern/transom as a jig the get the bend right problem is I didn't taper enough at the bend and the planks were clinkering badly. So now will try again.

I must say the skills I have picked up already are immense and as I was telling my wife, it would be a shame to stop now. She said I can tell it to the judge in the divorce court.

John
MWG
#69 Posted : 26 June 2011 10:41:13

Hi coming along nicely, take your time each plank you place is one less.

to a certain extent let the plank follow its natural course when you bend it around the bowLOL

jonny7england
#70 Posted : 26 June 2011 10:46:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Your getting there mate, slow and easy does it....looking real good...ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
z8000783
#71 Posted : 10 July 2011 09:53:16

Hi again all.

Latest update and a couple of questions for the great and the good. Progress is slow partly through other things but also getting the stern right is not easy, which leads to the first point.

The planks on the right are the ones I ripped out and started again with and they do lay better now. Problem is they will be uneven and not look symmetrical by the time they meet the keel.

Starting over I would do better of course but maybe when a beginner, one should carry on and save the learning for the next build, so long as it's not storing up problems for the future. Ultimately the planks here will be painted black or covered with copper, so if it's not perfect I am happy to carry on.

Not sure what do you think?

And the second qestion is around Karls point about the gun ports
karl1113 wrote:
hi foz,nearly everyone had that trouble with the uppergun deck potals,is to with the design.it helps if you want to file the carriage wheels flat that way you lower the guns another 1mm. up to you,looking good now,keep it up.

Because I wanted to finish the hull first I haven't completed the upper planking yet nor cut out the ports other than the first 2 rows.

Much happier with the planking on the lower hull than the upper part now - so much learning to pick up here.

I remember there appeared to be a problem with Tomicks build way back but I thought that was on the quarter deck gun positions.

Having seen the builds progress now, would it be better to position the higher gun ports on the upper gun deck a millimetre or two higher?

John
MWG
#72 Posted : 10 July 2011 10:11:23

Hi John your stern could benefit from tapering the planks more on the side that you did not remove, as if you are tileing the Hull as you say,you will not see any imperfections.

Regarding the gun ports if there has been any mistakes in the instructions then I have built to those instrutions, and will have to live with it LOL LOL

Son of Bulwark
#73 Posted : 10 July 2011 10:55:33

Groups:

Hi John! Cool

I will do some graphics to help explain were the instruction have caused some people to make an error with the gun ports, so you can avoid the same thing in the future.
Tomick
#74 Posted : 10 July 2011 12:14:31

Groups:

z8000783 wrote:
Hi again all.

Latest update and a couple of questions for the great and the good. Progress is slow partly through other things but also getting the stern right is not easy, which leads to the first point.

The planks on the right are the ones I ripped out and started again with and they do lay better now. Problem is they will be uneven and not look symmetrical by the time they meet the keel.

Starting over I would do better of course but maybe when a beginner, one should carry on and save the learning for the next build, so long as it's not storing up problems for the future. Ultimately the planks here will be painted black or covered with copper, so if it's not perfect I am happy to carry on.

Not sure what do you think?

And the second qestion is around Karls point about the gun ports
karl1113 wrote:
hi foz,nearly everyone had that trouble with the uppergun deck potals,is to with the design.it helps if you want to file the carriage wheels flat that way you lower the guns another 1mm. up to you,looking good now,keep it up.

Because I wanted to finish the hull first I haven't completed the upper planking yet nor cut out the ports other than the first 2 rows.

Much happier with the planking on the lower hull than the upper part now - so much learning to pick up here.

I remember there appeared to be a problem with Tomicks build way back but I thought that was on the quarter deck gun positions.

Having seen the builds progress now, would it be better to position the higher gun ports on the upper gun deck a millimetre or two higher?

John

Let me correct you, how SoB chooses to alter his build to suit his own desire is up to himself Angry
Son of Bulwark
#75 Posted : 10 July 2011 12:18:18

Groups:

Hi John! Cool

You can get the upper deck gun ports set to the correct height when you start the upper planking again first fit the upper gun deck then take the measurements from the deck inside of the hull up to the top of the plank already fitted. Mark this to the outside of the hull this is the deck line now measure 3.5mm to 4mm above this and mark the bottom of the gun port, repeat for all the ports. When you cut the ports the guns will fit with the barrel about in the middle of the port.

I have done some graphics to help explain were the instructions have caused some people to make an error. The problem is the method used didn’t take the shape of the hull into account on the straighter parts of the hull (bow & stern) the measuring stick works, but as the hull curves more in the middle of the ship and you lay the stick over the hull you mark the ports lower to the deck. The deck beam brackets are equally spaced between the decks if you used say ‘digital callipers’ instead of the measuring stick the fixed jaw would be put under the lower deck and the upper jaw at the correct measurement put against the hull holding the calliper vertical. You then would have marked the bottom of the gun port in the correct place, no matter the curve of the hull.

This should explain what happened and how to avoid the same thing happening in the future mate.
z8000783
#76 Posted : 10 July 2011 12:44:06

Tomick wrote:
Let me correct you, how SoB chooses to alter his build to suit his own desire is up to himself Angry

The guns in here do seem a little high to me and they appear to be pointing down slightly. On the Victory pics I took the barrel protrudes through the centre of the gun port.

Is it just the picture angle or am I missing something?

John

z8000783
#77 Posted : 10 July 2011 12:50:18

Son of Bulwark wrote:
This should explain what happened and how to avoid the same thing happening in the future mate.

Thanks Drron.

Easily solved, I will do when I get there.

John
jimbobuk05
#78 Posted : 10 July 2011 13:00:13

Hi there.
I am in the same boat as MWG (Ahem, Excuse the pun)
I have done the ports as per instructions. SO if there
are any mistakes there. Then they are there and staying
there.

Good luck
z8000783
#79 Posted : 11 July 2011 04:25:02

MWG wrote:
Hi John your stern could benefit from tapering the planks more on the side that you did not remove, as if you are tileing the Hull as you say,you will not see any imperfections.

Thanks Mike.

I guess I will carry on for a bit and see if I can get them to line up again.

John
z8000783
#80 Posted : 04 August 2011 17:46:12

Back home again and ready to continue the hull planking, it certainly is taking a time.

However I bought some Danish Oil whilst in England and now I am not sure where to use it. I will be painting the ship but presumably areas such as deck can be stained.

So the question is where should I apply it? On bare wood or can it be better used on varnished and stained wood?

Dumb question I know but hey ho.

John