Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Paint vs Blackening Options
dslinick
#1 Posted : 21 April 2016 01:29:15

Groups: Registered

I have a D51 kit on order and wondering if there is a preference in look of blackening vs paint.

I intend to purchase some brass pieces at the local hobby shop for test purposes, but maybe there is a general feeling in the group about which way to go.

Tomick
#2 Posted : 21 April 2016 08:35:56

Groups:

Not all of the parts are solid brass, many are brass plated and the end result finish of blackening fluid may vary from one piece to the other giving a none uniform finish.
tubab
#3 Posted : 21 April 2016 21:24:24

Hi, I'm using Valspars new Satin Black spray paint which has an undercoat combined with the paint. I'm no expert spray painter but so far the first two chunks are looking good. I'm using model aircraft paint for the wheels, Night fighter black is quite a good match. I am modifying the assembly instructions and spraying some parts first before assembly then giving another couple of coats when part assembled and then touched up when fully assembled by spraying some paint into a suitable container and then using a small brush.
SamTT
#4 Posted : 14 June 2016 02:58:46

tubab wrote:
Hi, I'm using Valspars new Satin Black spray paint which has an undercoat combined with the paint. I'm no expert spray painter but so far the first two chunks are looking good. I'm using model aircraft paint for the wheels, Night fighter black is quite a good match. I am modifying the assembly instructions and spraying some parts first before assembly then giving another couple of coats when part assembled and then touched up when fully assembled by spraying some paint into a suitable container and then using a small brush.

Airbrush and model colors are the way to go. Yep.
dnvrbronco
#5 Posted : 14 June 2016 05:29:40

Red Medal: Red Medal

I left mine in the original brass finish...always wearing gloves during the build. Beautiful looking.
ON MY BENCH DeAgostini Millenium Falcon, DeAgostini Spitfire, 1:75 Woody JOE Horyuji Five-Storey Pagoda, HMS Victory

COMPLETE DeAgostini D51 Loco