Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Panzerkamphwagen V Panther Options
Martyn Ingram
#1 Posted : 25 April 2016 12:08:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all back in 1981 I had a very bad bike accident and was in hospital for 8 months and after I came home I couldn't work for another 7 months as I needed a lot of physio to get me walking again. To stop me going crazy the wife got me this model so it has a lot of memories Blink

This kit made by Tamiya is going to be a straight out of the box build and when I opened the box it looks like they haven't retooled it from when I first got one back in the 80s Laugh

Hopefully will get this going in the next few days Cool

Cheers for looking rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Nemesis
#2 Posted : 25 April 2016 18:13:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have couple in my stash, an old one and a new one. I just looked at both and I cant see a difference!Blink LOL BigGrin Good kit though, I do like the Panther.BigGrin
Martyn Ingram
#3 Posted : 25 April 2016 18:39:27

Love Hi Nem I love the Panther a very nice looking tank . My first one I built I did as a dio I had it in the Eastern front and put lots snow and ice round it Cool Not sure how I am going to finish this one yet but definitely going to do a dio Cool

Thanks for following rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 25 April 2016 19:26:46

BigGrin The Tank that all modern tanks are based upon my top tank too, Built the Dragon version a few years back and will look forward to your build diaryCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Martyn Ingram
#5 Posted : 12 May 2016 11:59:47

Hi all and thanks for the comments

I have been a little snowed under at the shop so not a lot done

But a small update. I have built the turret and am putting on the zimmerit coating by using a heated screw driver.
If you use this method be very careful that you don't burn through the plastic. It does take a bit of time but this is how I did it in the 80s before the PE came out lol .

Thanks for looking

Rgd Martyn
Martyn Ingram attached the following image(s):
ships 401.jpg
ships 402.jpg
ships 405.jpg
ships 407.jpg
ships 408.jpg
Building ?
Next Build ?
Nemesis
#6 Posted : 12 May 2016 16:35:19

Very nice work on the zimmerit, nice to see an old skool technique being used!
ian smith
#7 Posted : 12 May 2016 19:41:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Martyn.
Looking Good, Look forward to seeing this one progress.
Regards Ian
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Martyn Ingram
#8 Posted : 12 May 2016 20:50:18

Thanks for the comments guys.

Yep very old school Nem but the great thing it doesn't cost anything lol

Once finished with a light sand and a coat of primer it looks quite good and I want a bashed look.
Thanks for following
Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
arpurchase
#9 Posted : 12 May 2016 21:02:25

Looking great and nice work
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#10 Posted : 13 May 2016 01:31:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great idea for the zimmerit and it looks pretty good too. You must the patience of a saint using this method
Martyn Ingram
#11 Posted : 13 May 2016 09:24:54

Thanks Andy and Dave for looking in .

It takes a little time to do but once you get the hang of it you can plod through lol

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Martyn Ingram
#12 Posted : 15 June 2016 11:33:06

Hi all and thanks for the comments.
A bit of a update. Er no quite a big update as I have been a bit busy at work but hayho

I have finished the Zimmerit and started the painting after that the weathering was applied.

The mud is made by getting dirt from the garden and mixed with PVA and splattered about with an old brush

The branches are made from twigs and the leaves are seeds from a silver birch tree that I have in my garden, l think they look ok .

Next job making the base

Rgd Martyn
Martyn Ingram attached the following image(s):
ships 414.jpg
ships 419.jpg
ships 420.jpg
ships 423.jpg
ships 425.jpg
ships 427.jpg
ships 428.jpg
Building ?
Next Build ?
tigerace
#13 Posted : 15 June 2016 13:28:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well the Panther looks absolutely awesome!!!! great job Martyn regards Phil
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Nemesis
#14 Posted : 15 June 2016 17:44:04

Brilliant Martyn, well done!
Martyn Ingram
#15 Posted : 15 June 2016 19:15:13

Thanks for the comments guys.
Just one thing looking at the photos the tracks haven't got enough sag in them as they are the ones that came with the kit . Any ideas on how I can get them to hang right. Thanks for any help

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
arpurchase
#16 Posted : 15 June 2016 19:56:09

Looking good

Nemesis
#17 Posted : 15 June 2016 20:31:39

If they are the kit elastic band type, then to get the sag right you will have to carefully glue them to the tops of the wheels you want them to touch. It does work and looks ok. The other way (and I always do if I can get them) is to replace them with individual link track sets, metal or plastic, as you can add or take away links to get the desired sag. I prefer the metal link sets, they add weight and the sag looks like the real deal.
Martyn Ingram
#18 Posted : 15 June 2016 20:46:29

Cheers Nem yep there the elastic band type that comes with the kit I will try and glue them to the top of the wheels. What do you recommend to glue them with . Thanks again for the help

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Nemesis
#19 Posted : 15 June 2016 20:52:03

Martyn Ingram wrote:
Cheers Nem yep there the elastic band type that comes with the kit I will try and glue them to the top of the wheels. What do you recommend to glue them with . Thanks again for the help

Rgd Martyn

Use a gel type super glue, it will let you move them about to get the right sag. Do one wheel at a time, then hold the track in place until it has dried then check it and move to the next.
Nemesis
#20 Posted : 15 June 2016 20:58:38

Just as a guide, here is the track sag on my Panther.

Nemesis attached the following image(s):
20160615_205718.jpg