Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

copper paint Options
real 1999 gsx1300r
#1 Posted : 19 May 2016 01:24:55

Red Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi
I don't like the way the tank looks with the rest of the bike.
I would like to paint it too match the rest of the bike.
Has anyone else try too do the same, and if so whar type of paint?
Thanks Gurrera
Tomick
#2 Posted : 19 May 2016 07:22:07

Groups:

If you gloss coat the tank and rest of the body parts, they will then all look similar but make sure that you use an aqueous clear as some clears will eat into the copper paint.
If you are looking to repaint just the tank, not only will you find it won't perfectly match the rest of the body, you will also need to reproduce the Suzuki logo.

Nemesis repainted his build a different colour
http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=19451
Nemesis
#3 Posted : 19 May 2016 09:22:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

The panels and tank are a satin finish. I did try a clear coat on my tank before I re painted in a different colour scheme. I used a Simoniz clear lacquer on the tank which you can see in my build diary and it looked really good, but I didn't try it on the plastic panels, so as Tomick has said, either an aqueous clear, or make sure you test another type on the inside of a panel where it cannot be seen. Personally I would go the aqueos way if you are not 100% up on automotive paint and finishes. Also if you decide to gloss coat DO NOT try and flat back any of the original paint work first, you will break through the paint. Hope this helps.