Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages <1234>»
The Royal Sun build diary by Jase Options
nightwisher
#21 Posted : 09 June 2016 18:00:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Good start Jase, think this ones gonna be a cracker.shame about the warped ply, nothing anyone can do about it until someone invents warp free plywood.
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
mogwai
#22 Posted : 09 June 2016 18:34:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi nice start jase. Look forward to your next update.cheers mick.
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
jase
#23 Posted : 09 June 2016 20:55:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks everybody for looking in
The ply issue is minor, i agree its acracking looking kit
Hoping that i get a bit more build diary company soon

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#24 Posted : 09 June 2016 21:21:40

Groups:

Its not a high profile ship outside of France, but am sure there will be other builders that come along, and if not, it will be interesting watching you see the Royal Sun through to completion.
Gandale
#25 Posted : 09 June 2016 23:09:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice start Jase, will be following.... I'm sure you'll get plenty of company as this progresses....

Regards

Alan
ian smith
#26 Posted : 10 June 2016 09:05:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi jase.
Nice start look forward to seeing your progress.
Ian
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
jase
#27 Posted : 10 June 2016 21:29:55

Thanks all more comming at the weekend

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
jase
#28 Posted : 11 June 2016 20:48:55

nearly done...

With frames 2,3 and 4 in place the lower false deck can be fitted. I dry fitted the deck first to ensure the fit was good, it was ever so slightly off for me and one of the rib slots needed about 0.5mm taking out. Adhesive was applied to all the contact points and the deck was weighted down while it all set.

At this point I chose to add the upper false deck support beams, they are all different lengths so don't measure one and cut three the same! After that I was able to added rib 1 which would no longer be in the way and the last ribs currently supplied, 5 and 6 which completes the hull build other than the upper deck, more of that tomorrow as i am doing things a bit differently to the official instructions.

Any comments and feedback greatly received

Jase
-Mark Twain
magpie1832
#29 Posted : 11 June 2016 23:01:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Jase,
Your making a great start but might I point out that following the instructions is a good idea.
Looking at your build you have ribs 5 and 6 the wrong way around.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

jase
#30 Posted : 11 June 2016 23:23:31

magpie1832 wrote:
Hi Jase,
Your making a great start but might I point out that following the instructions is a good idea.
Looking at your build you have ribs 5 and 6 the wrong way around.
Chris

Thanks Cris well spotted. Nothing to do with the instructions
Or my build sequence just not taking care! Easily sorted though

Jase
-Mark Twain
jase
#31 Posted : 12 June 2016 16:02:36

I wanted to do something a little different with the decking. rather than using the pencil method in the instructions I have decided to do the calking using 0.25mm black thread. Now this is defiantly more time consuming, but i think it gives a nice finish.

I jigged up my plank chopper and made a batch of planks cut to length.

I also needed to lay the deck a bit different as a centre join was not going to work with thread caulking, so needed a centre plank. to do this the two false deck parts were dry fitted and a plank drawn around to mark the outside edge, with this done the first half was planked, my planks are staggered on a quarter plank shift which is 17.5mm.

Once the first half was completed as far as possible, the two decks were placed together and the centre plank placed in place without glue. this allowed me to fix the first plank in place on the second false deck ensuring the centre plank would fit sung once finally fitted.

With both deck pieces completed they were glued in place and weighted down as per the instruction. finally the two centre planks were glued in place.

Thats packs 1-5 done.

I have also had a play with the loverly gold casting supplied, the casting is really nice but much of the detail is lost, so i have given the horses on the right a black wash to see if i could improve the level of detail visible, it has worked really well. (unfortunately the flash of the camera steels some definition)

Thats it for now

Jase

PS I have corrected my error with the last two ribs. an easy fix the parts were held over a boiling kettle until the glue became emollient and they slipped out with a bit of help. quick clean up and fixed back in place, all good!

-Mark Twain
Martyn Ingram
#32 Posted : 12 June 2016 16:15:08

Looking good Jase very nicely done with the planking

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
eebygum
#33 Posted : 20 June 2016 14:54:53

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Jase

Like what you have done with the planking. I am starting this shortly looking forward to more of your updates

Regards

Terry
FINISHED BUILDS---- HMS Victory--Bismarck--Battleship Yamato-D51 Steam Train--Pocher Ferrari Testarossa--Soleil Royal--Schnellboot S-100--StageCoach 1848--HMS HOOD-- Delorean (Back to the Future)
greyhawk
#34 Posted : 20 June 2016 15:02:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

jase wrote:
Thanks everybody for looking in
The ply issue is minor, i agree its acracking looking kit
Hoping that i get a bit more build diary company soon

Jase

I'd totally have joined you by now, if only they started offering it in Germany instead of just going "Soon, we'll be offering the SR" every few weeks, then me asking "How soon is soon? I need to plan ahead to get a drydock free. Is soon in a month or is soon in 2017?", then no one ever answering.

Stunning work as always, btw.
Tomick
#35 Posted : 20 June 2016 15:22:17

Groups:

[/quote]I'd totally have joined you by now, if only they started offering it in Germany instead of just going "Soon, we'll be offering the SR" every few weeks, then me asking "How soon is soon? I need to plan ahead to get a drydock free. Is soon in a month or is soon in 2017?", then no one ever answering.
[/quote]
For many reasons its not always possible to give a firm date. Cut our planning team some slack, they work hard to bring you what you are hoping for!
greyhawk
#36 Posted : 20 June 2016 17:04:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

jase
#37 Posted : 20 June 2016 21:16:33

eebygum wrote:
Hi Jase

Like what you have done with the planking. I am starting this shortly looking forward to more of your updates

Regards

Terry

Hi Terry, glad to have you along, looking forward to seeing your progress

Jase
-Mark Twain
magpie1832
#38 Posted : 20 June 2016 22:38:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Doing well Jase. Looks good

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

greyhawk
#39 Posted : 22 June 2016 10:03:33

tigerace
#40 Posted : 22 June 2016 13:43:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

nice work Jase looks a good kit regards Phil
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!