Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

15 Pages 123>»
HMS SURPRISE Build Log by Barry Options
BarryM
#1 Posted : 21 May 2016 15:15:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello Gentlemen, just trying to figure out how to post on the forum..please be patient...
Seem to have got somewhere....at least got the text and some pics on the same page..

BarryM attached the following image(s):
01-01 Cut Sheets Part 1 small.JPG
01-02 Keel Parts small.JPG
01-03 F5 with frames fitted small.JPG
01-04 Front view with formers fitted small.JPG
There's no time like the present.....
Martyn Ingram
#2 Posted : 21 May 2016 16:26:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice to see another Surprise on the go . Looking forward to seeing the build

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
BarryM
#3 Posted : 21 May 2016 16:43:58

Thanks Martyn, still trying to strangle this program (getting to old for this sort of thing) let me try this again....got the "attach files to this post?" selected this time..
Last pic shows a couple of the former's need to be shortened.
01-05 Front view with formers fitted pic 2 small.JPG
01-06 F24 Completed small.JPG
01-07Rear view with formers fitted small.JPG
01-08 Former 20 needs to be shorter at the keel small.JPG
BarryM
#4 Posted : 21 May 2016 17:02:15

Well, still don't seem to be able to sort the text and pic's out properly but at least they are visible.

This is the first time I have attempted to build a wooden model ship, had plenty of fun building and flying RC aircraft over the past few years but needed a long term project.

After spending a lot of time looking through the Surprise build logs I eventually bought the 14 part series and can only hope my model turns out close to the amazing results you guys are creating..here's some more pics...last one shows holes in the former's and keel for wiring, hope to put in some LED lighting..

01-09 Keel joiner chamfered small.JPG
01-10 Rear Keel chamfered small.JPG
01-11 Front view after sanding small.JPG
01-12 Rear view after sanding small.JPG
01-13 Rear view showing holes for LED lighting wiring small.JPG
ian smith
#5 Posted : 21 May 2016 17:05:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Barry.
Great start to your build. look forward to seeing your progress.
Regards Ian
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 21 May 2016 17:49:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Barry,

Welcome to the forum, it`s nice to see another HMS Surprise build.

Looks like your off to a good start and have awarded you your blue medal for starting a diary.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#7 Posted : 21 May 2016 19:04:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Barry

Welcome to the forum and good to see a new surprise build. If you resize your pics to around 600 x 450 they will post straight up

Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

BarryM
#8 Posted : 21 May 2016 19:17:09

Thanks Andy, Let me try this pic thing again, resized to 448x336
Hmmmm still not right..whilst we are on this pic I see those 10 little support thingy's jutting out from the rear just get covered up with planking, could they not be left visible as they look quite cool and are the supports for the rear cabin???

01-12 Rear view after sanding small.JPG
Gandale
#9 Posted : 21 May 2016 23:23:06

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks very neat and tidy there Barry, looking good....

Regards

Alan
johncal
#10 Posted : 22 May 2016 00:05:59

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It's looking great. Welcome to the forum.

I saw you saying you were thinking about putting in some led lights. If you read through my build and link to my log, I have some good hints on the wiring and LED's you might want to check out. Check out my " movie version" posts.

Good luck & have fun.
magpie1832
#11 Posted : 22 May 2016 00:27:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Excellent start Barry. Your doing a great job. Nicely lined up and kept ina jig.
Chris 😎
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

BarryM
#12 Posted : 22 May 2016 14:27:07

Thank you gents, I've received my next set of parts 3 & 4 the main deck, deck planking, free board planks and a bunch of other bits of wood not sure what they are for yet.

Johncal...read your build log, amazing stuff don't think I will be able to emulate that, this is what prompted me to want to put some LED's into mine.

Chris...reading through your log and others inspired me to start out on this venture, saw your deck planking ideas and it lookes great on the pics..I will have to try something simpler though, don't know how you managed to drill those holes in the ends...

03-01 Deck and Freeboard planking small.JPG
Martyn Ingram
#13 Posted : 22 May 2016 14:53:26

Coming along very nicely Barry .
If you want to simulate treenails at the end of the planks you can use a sharp pencil and gentley push it into the wood

Hope this helps rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
BarryM
#14 Posted : 22 May 2016 15:08:06

Thank's Martyn, I'll be doing just that, making up a little jig at the moment to mark each plank on the ends in the same place..
BarryM
#15 Posted : 23 May 2016 17:58:07

Well got the bottom deck plates fitted today, had to do a little sanding on some of the slots and a couple of the mast holes were misaligned nothing serious though.
Before fitting the deck in place I marked the center of the keel and former 16 with bits of masking tape to ensure it fitted in the correct place.
Run some glue between the former's and keel after the fitting...really stiffened the assembly up..

03-02 Keel and formers centre marked small.JPG
03-09 Lower deck fitted front small.JPG
03-10 lower deck fitted rear small.JPG
BarryM
#16 Posted : 24 May 2016 16:00:05

Time to start with the deck planking, the strips supplied are a little bit suspect not very consistent at all some even with a cross grain (don't know how they did that??) But not to be disheartened not easy to get model shipbuilding stuff down in Africa South so have to make the best of what I have, it's called "make a plan" here.
First cut the strips into 154mm lengths which is equal to 20% of the deck length(5 per run)Then using the small jig I made marked the Tree holes in the ends...

Push the plank in..

Turn it over..

Mark the holes with a sharp pencil..

Next run the soft oil base pencil around the edges..

03-04 Jig for marking plank holes 1 small.JPG
03-05 Jig for marking plank holes 2 small.JPG
03-06 Jig for marking plank holes 3 small.JPG
03-07 Jig for marking plank holes 4 small.JPG
03-08 Soft oil base pecil at 45deg on edges small.JPG
Tomick
#17 Posted : 24 May 2016 16:30:58

Groups:

Great start Barry, well done!
BarryM
#18 Posted : 25 May 2016 13:43:10

Thank's Mr.T, Having a good time so far, got a little further on with the lower deck planking it looked a little anemic in it's raw state so I picked up a couple of wood stains to try out and give them a little character. The choice was between a Kiaat (too Light) an Oak (too dark)and a light Oak.."Pick me, Pick me" here's the result...

Must admit it got a little darker after applying a coat of Polyurethane varnish but it really brought it to life.
Started off by using the center line where the two deck plates joined and lining the edges of the planks to this..

This is a far as I got today...hope there are enough planking strips...

03-11 Deck Planking small.JPG
03-12 First planks edge laid on Centre line small.JPG
03-13 Deck half planked small.JPG
delboy271155
#19 Posted : 25 May 2016 15:14:03

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Barry,

This is coming on a pace and looks good, WTG.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

BarryM
#20 Posted : 25 May 2016 15:30:18

Thank's Derek, the timeline on my post is a bit deceiving I started the Surprise at the end of April only got to posting it later in May after I had made some progress.

Barry