Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

15 Pages «<12131415>
HMS SURPRISE Build Log by Barry Options
johncal
#261 Posted : 27 May 2017 15:27:59

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I just went to my local woodcraft supplier and replaced all of the dowel material with stuff at the store. It was much straighter and harder and only cost me $15. It was a well spent upgrade.

I did a lot of replacing things on mine. On my bow for instance, all the square stock is thin wall brass tubing that I slid wood into to keep it from collapsing when I bent it. It's so strong you can literally pick up the ship by any one of those.

If you're spending a lot of money on a model (which we are) why not spend a little more and do worth while upgrades?
BarryM
#262 Posted : 28 May 2017 10:16:12

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Chris,

It took me 3 months to get these ones...Bored I remember seeing somewhere about wetting dowels..supporting the ends and hanging a weight from them..try it first..Cool

Barry
There's no time like the present.....
BarryM
#263 Posted : 28 May 2017 10:23:11

Hi John,

Difficult to get anything to replace these parts down here in Africa South this was the reason for buying the kit....how is the display case comming on???

Barry
johncal
#264 Posted : 28 May 2017 16:04:39

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Could be better, been slow to get on it as I hadn't finished the design until now. So far I just have the legs and the drawer, but I'm going to start working on the framing next. I finalized the design and know what I want to do so now it's just a matter of execution.

I'm making the case out of soft maple and it will be stained and glazed a dark color. I am probably going beat it up a bit as we do a great job of antiquing where I work. I'd like the case to look a few hundred years old.... why not?

The construction is actually quite simple so I will post pics and directions as I go in case anyone wants to do something similar. The design can easily be adapted to other looks. Will keep everyone informed.
ian smith
#265 Posted : 05 June 2017 22:32:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Barry.
The cannons look fantastic. your time and patience have really paid off.
Ian.Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Garth
#266 Posted : 07 June 2017 06:15:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Barry,
Just been catching up on your build. Lovely work. Your guns look fantastic.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
BarryM
#267 Posted : 08 August 2017 14:46:48

Haven't posted in a while but I've been plodding along nevertheless. It seems that my build pics along with a few more folks pics have been thrown into another bucket somewhere and now they want me to dig into my pocket to get them back.....Angry Oh well I'll go back to my original method of posting them (if I can remember how)If I don't manage I'll keep trying...not much to show except the rear cabin and windows are finished together with the bottom deck details and now starting on the upper deck...

BarryM attached the following image(s):
04 Rear cabin top small.JPG
01 Rear cabin windows small.JPG
03 Rear cabin from gun deck small.JPG
04 Rear cabin top small.JPG
BarryM
#268 Posted : 08 August 2017 15:05:40

Seems to work, let me try the lower deck pics.....

01 Lower deck small.JPG
02 lower deck small.JPG
jase
#269 Posted : 08 August 2017 18:07:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just catching up with your build, its very impressive and looking forward to seeing more

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#270 Posted : 08 August 2017 22:42:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

She's looking good Barry, nice work.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
johncal
#271 Posted : 11 August 2017 00:27:30

I remember being at the point you're at in the build years ago and what a giant pain in the ass those cannons were. They will really put you to sleep. But it all looks great! I'll bet you can't wait 'till you get to the riggingBigGrin
BarryM
#272 Posted : 17 August 2017 18:05:40

Thanks for the comments guys and here's a quick update...got started on the Upper Deck, fitted all the cross members and laid a half a dozen planks. I decided now would be a good time to test fit the masts as the lower deck was still accessible to clean the sawdust and stuff away...
John...still a long long way away from that interesting mast building and rigging, are you fitting lights under the hull to highlight the copper???

Barry

01 cross members for upper deck 1 small.JPG
02 cross members for upper deck 2 small.JPG
03 cross members for upper deck 3 small.JPG
04 First plank on upper deck with formast small.JPG
05 first planks on upper deck with all 3 masts small.JPG
johncal
#273 Posted : 17 August 2017 19:21:56

Yes I am. I'm going to put an angled base on the plaque I make and hide the leds in there.
BarryM
#274 Posted : 19 September 2017 16:26:39

Been busy with the Surprise again...a few more planks on the upper deck laid plus the cutouts for the hatches and stuff..made up and fitted the rear hatches and cut out the waist deck. I'll finish up the planking here then go back to the stern finishing and the other bits...BigGrin

Barry

06 Rear Upper Deck with cutouts small.JPG
07 Front Upper Deck with cutouts small.JPG
08 Upper deck with rear hatches fitted small.JPG
09 Upper deck waist deck removed small.JPG
johncal
#275 Posted : 20 September 2017 00:24:51

I'm glad I cheated. That looks too much like real work. But you're doing a great job. Looks great, Keep it up!
delboy271155
#276 Posted : 20 September 2017 01:22:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Great update Barry. WTG

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#277 Posted : 20 September 2017 08:20:09

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely work Barry, very well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
BarryM
#278 Posted : 11 November 2017 13:17:41

Just a quick update...finished the upper deck planking with the waist section cut out and the hatches and grating complete, also finished the bow inner planking and the gun ports...

Barry

Upper deck planking complete & bow gun ports small.JPG
birdaj2
#279 Posted : 11 November 2017 14:05:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Barry

That looks absolutly lovely work. The decking looks fantastic.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
magpie1832
#280 Posted : 11 November 2017 14:13:46

Nice update Barry, your doing a great job on her.

Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.