Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Super Glue on the Windshield Options
chipwool
#1 Posted : 25 May 2016 01:07:55

Groups: Registered

Good evening all.

I'm new to Model-Space and the forum. I just purchased the Toyota model and have suspended my life for a few days and have immersed myself in this build. I hate to begin with a problem, but I need some advice. I got impatient with the double sided tape and the rear view mirror. The tape was not working so I tried a small drop of super glue. Bad idea. I now have a smear of glue on the once pristine shield. I tried swabbing some alcohol to no affect. I'm afraid I will make it worse in the pursuit of perfection. Is there anything I can try or should I just stop and tell people the car hit a scale water foul of some kind?
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 25 May 2016 01:44:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Hi CHipwool welcome to the forum,
I have had success using nail polish remover.here is an article describing how to do it.I would test the plastic first in one of the corners to make sure it wont damage the plastic.

http://www.ehow.com/how_...glue-clear-plastic.html

Carl

michu
#3 Posted : 25 May 2016 07:17:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You can also purchase super glue debonder that might help, as this is something specifically designed for the job. But as Carl suggested, be careful and try it out first where it won't be visible. I've never tried it on clear parts.

I too had to use superglue to fix the rear mirror. For the future, my advice is to get a gel type superglue with a brush applicator and apply as tiny amount as possible.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Tomick
#4 Posted : 25 May 2016 08:08:25

Groups:

It really depends on how deep the Superglue has bonded and the type of plastic.

You may have to resort to buffing the mark out with a fine polishing compound such as Brasso or 3M imperial hand glaze or an equivalent, which is a fine finishing/polishing compound that does not contain Ammonia. I've also know some use Toothpaste with great success.
If its deep, use a Dremel buffing tip and progressively finer buffing compounds at slow speed.
Some polishing compounds contain Ammonia which can damage the surface of some plastics. Always test on an unseen are first.
Be mindful that Acetone is a ketone that dissolves many plastics. Superglue release/remover fluid might also be worth a try, but again test on an unseen area first!

Its possible you can improve the appeareance of the mark but it still be visible.
steviecav
#5 Posted : 25 May 2016 11:24:05

oh man I feel for you. I have just started building mine and am up to issue 25. I am so impressed up to now. Anyway, can't you email customer services and see if you can buy a replacement part? I have no idea if this is possible.
chipwool
#6 Posted : 28 May 2016 05:24:06

Thank you everyone for your replies. In the grand scheme of human events this problem is nothing, but it is upsetting nonetheless. The model is perfect except for this glaring error in a most prominent location. I tried the acetone route. It was beginning to spread and widen the haze effect. I finally stopped and am now evaluating the possibility it may not be worth the risk of making it even worse. My wife's observation that, "it's not so bad if you not look right at it", is of little comfort. I'll try the customer service route, but I suspect replacing stage parts that I damaged would be a difficult request to fulfill.
Tomick
#7 Posted : 28 May 2016 08:59:53

Groups:

It's worth a try though may not be possible in this instance.

The Toyota is limited quantity full kit stock, which would mean we have to take a windshield from a full kit, thus creating a full kit we cannot then sell as it is missing a part

If you cannot get a replacement, you'll have to resort to polishing the mark out, though the use of acetone is likely to have made this that much harder to put right.
darbyvet
#8 Posted : 28 May 2016 15:17:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

chipwool wrote:
Thank you everyone for your replies. In the grand scheme of human events this problem is nothing, but it is upsetting nonetheless. The model is perfect except for this glaring error in a most prominent location. I tried the acetone route. It was beginning to spread and widen the haze effect. I finally stopped and am now evaluating the possibility it may not be worth the risk of making it even worse. My wife's observation that, "it's not so bad if you not look right at it", is of little comfort. I'll try the customer service route, but I suspect replacing stage parts that I damaged would be a difficult request to fulfill.

I sent you a PM regarding this issue.

Carl

steviecav
#9 Posted : 01 June 2016 13:22:17

Can you post an update of how you got on with customer services? I almost completed my model but I have been sent 2 left side headlights so I am in the process or having new ones sent.
Tomick
#10 Posted : 01 June 2016 13:57:24

Groups:

Note - USA customer services differs to UK customer services
steviecav
#11 Posted : 02 June 2016 09:49:43

I rang 03332401227 and a woman took my details and said she would pass my request on. That was Tuesday morning but have not heard anything more. I am assuming someone will contact me if the parts are not available.