Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
The Chadders build Options
Chadders
#1 Posted : 10 June 2016 15:01:03

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello all. Its time for me to make a start on my Falcon. I have deliberately held back from starting as I like to get feedback on a product before I start a project to find its shortcomings, and get some kind of insight into its nuances. Basically I let other people find the problems so I don't have to! To be forewarned is to be forearmed as they say. I've also spent the time getting together references, including books and magazines from the time ESB was released, that I still have in the library.
Looking through some of the other builds I have also been weighing up the pros and cons of buying the Paragrafix etched sets, and 3D printed products available via Shapeways. Although these do add quite a bit to the finished model, I decided against them in favour of scratch building the details required.
So on that note, I'll take you though what I've done so far. On the cockpit floor, I created the step down, and altered the rear face of the centre console to give it the correct swept back angle.

On the cockpit door, I have moved the door face forward to a more correct depth.

And finally the seats. You can see them here in their various states of conversion. On the right, you have the basic seat with card stock added to the top ready for reshaping. In the middle the head box and neck has been reshaped and the lug on the bottom has been removed. On this seat I have also removed the arms because I wanted to try something out. Then on the left is a view of the back of a completed seat. I will also be adding some Eduard 1:43rd scale seat belts. These are actually some Sabelt harnesses that I will re-texture to look like the belts on the studio set.

As you can see, I've started painting. Black is a naughty word in my modelling vocabulary, so you'll not see anything painted black. I tend to go for a “scale colour” representation. The yellow you see is the basic filler primer that I coated the parts initially, and the grey is Tamiya XF63 German Grey.
Tomick
#2 Posted : 10 June 2016 15:51:37

Groups:

Welcome to ModelSpace. Nice to see one of these being built without the expensive add-ons and looking forward to seeing what you do with her.
arpurchase
#3 Posted : 10 June 2016 20:27:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Chadders welcome to the forum
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

michu
#4 Posted : 10 June 2016 20:29:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You're off to a great start! I'll be following your scratch building adventures with keen interest.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
ian smith
#5 Posted : 10 June 2016 21:05:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy your build.
Ian
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Bill-Devine
#6 Posted : 10 June 2016 21:41:22

welcome and best of luck on your Falcon build.

BR, Bill Devine
Make things as simple as possible but not simpler... - Albert Einstein
Gandale
#7 Posted : 10 June 2016 23:30:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your time with us..... Lovely work, she's looking great....

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#8 Posted : 11 June 2016 00:43:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Chadders,

Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your time with us.

I love the scratch building that`s going on with this kit.

Looking forward to seeing what you have coming in the future.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

magpie1832
#9 Posted : 11 June 2016 09:07:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome chadders.
Great to see scratch builders at work. Look forward to your progress.
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Markwarren
#10 Posted : 11 June 2016 09:52:58

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Welcome to the club Chadders. Looks like you are off to a great start. love the scratch build, I look forward to seeing your progress and more pictures.
Mark
Nemesis
#11 Posted : 11 June 2016 10:42:59

Welcome Chadders, looking forward to seeing more of your build, always impresses me the amount of scratch building that can be done with the Falcon.
Chadders
#12 Posted : 11 June 2016 14:11:18

Just a small update. I've put the main colours on the floor and added the first stage of weathering using a combination of Tamiya paints and chalk pastels. I'll coat this tonight with Johnsons Kleer to seal the chalks, after I've watched the F1 Qualifying

I've also finished the back wall
adriuus
#13 Posted : 11 June 2016 14:52:07

very nice start you've made....great to see a fellow burtonion on the forum...it was my home town before I moved to wales...looking forward to seeing your progress...
ade
Chadders
#14 Posted : 11 June 2016 15:42:45

adriuus wrote:
very nice start you've made....great to see a fellow burtonion on the forum...it was my home town before I moved to wales...looking forward to seeing your progress...
ade

Small world. I'm in Stapenhill
stevie_o
#15 Posted : 11 June 2016 19:14:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gandale
#16 Posted : 12 June 2016 10:05:10

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Sweet.... looks great Chadders, well done....

Regards

Alan
Chadders
#17 Posted : 15 June 2016 21:10:16

I've managed to get the floor finished. I painted the small details on the centre console and added some decals from the spare box and a couple of jewels to represent lights

On the back of the centre console I added a small photocopy of a portion of the back wall decal.

On the side of the centre console I have tried to replicate the line between the 2 sections of the console by simply masking a line and using some pastel chalk

To make sure that the edges of the instrument panel decal weren't visible on the finished part, I put the decal on prior to painting, and then sanded it flush and filled and faults with Squadron Green Filler. I then added some details from plastic card, and card shapes, before masking off the decal and painting the part with Tamiya Nato Black. The part then received some decals from the spares box (From a Polar Lights Star Trek USS Enterprise), and a scratch built hood on over the view port in the middle of the console

Finally I added some geebles to the front part of the cockpit, painted it in Tamiya Nato Black again, added a couple of decals and give it a coat of Humbrol Rust wash.

To finish everything off I gave all the parts a sealing coat of Xtracrylics flat varnish, including the rear wall so as to take the sheen off the decals and give all the parts a uniform finish.
Nemesis
#18 Posted : 15 June 2016 21:15:50

Very nice work, I love watching these builds and seeing all the mods being done. They become a one off to each builder that can never be replicated, a unique build.
adriuus
#19 Posted : 15 June 2016 21:35:07

Nice additions there..... Its gonna look great !!!
Markwarren
#20 Posted : 15 June 2016 23:21:47

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Getting off to a flying start, some excellent detailing. Keep the pictures coming.