Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Dedworth Dog's Build Diary Options
dedworthdog
#1 Posted : 29 March 2010 18:01:17

Groups: Registered

Well here I go, well not quite, I have received issues 1&2 and I have decided not to start building the model until;
a. I have got all of the Keel(presuming they are dispatched in consectutive Issues) b. I have the tools and
C. I have the paints (as some items nedd to be painted before assembly).
So for the time being I sit drooling over the various parts that I have recieved.Drool One disappointment is that the thimble has come away from the canon barrel. A drop of glue will sort that outThumpUp

I have used thumbnails for the pictures . Just click on th ethumbnail to get the whole picture
Follow my build to learn how to make firewood

dedworthdog
#2 Posted : 22 April 2010 14:43:46

I've got bored with waitng for the issues so I've started the build. 1st heres a picture of my work space

I have used thumbnails for the pictures . Just click on th ethumbnail to get the whole picture
File Attachment(s):
031.JPG (3,059kb) downloaded 29 time(s).

dedworthdog
#3 Posted : 22 April 2010 14:49:50

So heres the first bit no major problems here. The clamps I bought from Homebase 12 for £1

I have used thumbnails for the pictures . Just click on the thumbnail to get the whole picture

dedworthdog
#4 Posted : 22 April 2010 16:32:30

Issue 2 no great problems hereBigGrin

tom.ganc
#5 Posted : 22 April 2010 17:06:38

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

dedworthdog wrote:
I have set up a webcam on my work space (am I going to live to regret this?????)Click on this link Dedworth Dog's Workspace (This link only seems to work with internet explorer. But I am trying to fix that)
Use the username "modelspace" and password "victory".
You never know you might actually catch me doing some workLOL

Hi mate
Congrats about your build.
There is one issue regarding your webcam. Web adress you gave (IP address) looks like your internal network address. If you don't have static IP address from your ISP this isn't going to work. You will be able to access this address from your home computer because it is hardwired to your router. Anything outside your router won't have access.

If you have any questions regarding this, let me know.

Tom
Jamie
#6 Posted : 22 April 2010 17:20:07

dedworthdog wrote:
So heres the first bit no major problems here. The clamps I bought from Homebase 12 for £1

12 for a quid..........get the car keys wifey I'm going out LOL

I wish I were a glow worm,
A glow worm's never glum,
'Cause how can you be grumpy?
When the sun shines out ya bum!!
dedworthdog
#7 Posted : 22 April 2010 17:33:42

tom.ganc wrote:
dedworthdog wrote:
I have set up a webcam on my work space (am I going to live to regret this?????)Click on this link Dedworth Dog's Workspace (This link only seems to work with internet explorer. But I am trying to fix that)
Use the username "modelspace" and password "victory".
You never know you might actually catch me doing some workLOL

Hi mate
Congrats about your build.
There is one issue regarding your webcam. Web adress you gave (IP address) looks like your internal network address. If you don't have static IP address from your ISP this isn't going to work. You will be able to access this address from your home computer because it is hardwired to your router. Anything outside your router won't have access.

If you have any questions regarding this, let me know.

Tom

Your absolutly correct I should have known betterCursing I have a dynamic DNS I'll try and get it sorted. Thanks for ponting that out

Capt Stedders
#8 Posted : 22 April 2010 19:17:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice format. (I like the thumbnails). Good clear pics too ThumpUp

If you are well experienced in this type of modeling, please ignore this question, but I'm pretty sure that the mag instructions advise against gluing the hull formers into place for the time being.

Confused

Whatever else, I think it is pretty safe to say everything will be at perfect right angles! I like the set-up on the vise.

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

dedworthdog
#9 Posted : 22 April 2010 19:38:25

B******sCursing Trust me. Hence my signatureLOL Note to self, read the f***ing instructions. Don't get glue happyMad Oh well at least it's a lesson learnt early.

Capt Stedders
#10 Posted : 22 April 2010 21:27:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Ooops...

If all the deck supports line up, you may still be alright (and you do seem to be quite meticulous going by your work set-up, so here's hoping).

Tools.

dedworthdog
#11 Posted : 23 April 2010 08:50:46

Oh what a cock-up! God knows how many times I read the instructions I knew those parts were not to be glued! I got carried away with the white stuff. It really is beggared part 14 is about 3mm lower on the keel mast recess.

and about 2mm lower on the keel

Oh well I'll call customer services for some back issues this morning. I hope this serves as a warning to all those who read thisWink

Capt Stedders
#12 Posted : 23 April 2010 09:29:26

Have you tried dislodging the hull formers with a soft mallet?

Since you have little to lose (if you are already resigned to getting back issues), you might try localised applications of hot water to the joins to soften the glue first. if you are careful, you might just get away with it without warping the false keel.

Good luck - I hope you manage to sort it out.

Tools.

dedworthdog
#13 Posted : 23 April 2010 11:04:55

Well that's the back issues ordered! Watch this space!Crying

jonny7england
#14 Posted : 23 April 2010 11:27:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

dedworthdog wrote:
Well that's the back issues ordered! Watch this space!Crying

I hope that you get your back issues alright? I know what you mean by going glue-happy...been there...done that..messed it up!! Crying I shall certainly be paying more attention to the instruction on this project that's for sure..Good luck with the rest of your build..ThumpUp John
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Jamie
#15 Posted : 23 April 2010 12:30:05

What a bummer Huh

The dvd that comes with the 1st issue is a bit deceiving though as the bloke on there is quite happily gluing everything, bit by bit, as he goes. So if your mishap hadn't have come up I would have probably done the same once I started.

Maybe have a word with Admin.....you never know Huh

I wish I were a glow worm,
A glow worm's never glum,
'Cause how can you be grumpy?
When the sun shines out ya bum!!
jonny7england
#16 Posted : 23 April 2010 14:41:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Jamie wrote:
What a bummer Huh

The dvd that comes with the 1st issue is a bit deceiving though as the bloke on there is quite happily gluing everything, bit by bit, as he goes. So if your mishap hadn't have come up I would have probably done the same once I started.

Maybe have a word with Admin.....you never know Huh

Come to mention it, I too remember the glue happy chappie on the DVD making it all look so easy LOL bet you that with all the care I shall be taking, I'll still make a balls up and turning the air blue!! BigGrin John
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Dontshootme
#17 Posted : 23 April 2010 15:30:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Sorry but I just looked at your pics...not wanting to disappoint you more..but the 1st frame isnt low enough either...should be flush with keel,you have it 2mm..ish up from it...sorry(should point out that I made the same mistakes..ie 1st not low enough & others glued in,luckily I noticed before glue set,hell of a struggle but I did manage to get them out & sorted out again)
Once again..sorry
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
Jack Sparrow
#18 Posted : 23 April 2010 16:10:30

Groups:

i have in issue 2 minus anchor (due to cock up!)LOL and you are welcome to it if you give me your details and i will post them to you.BigGrin
Capt Stedders
#19 Posted : 25 April 2010 18:43:00

Yayy! It's back! A good decision if I may say.

LOL @ webcam update. Laugh

Tools.

dedworthdog
#20 Posted : 25 April 2010 18:47:12

After my cockup with my build I think a new build requires a new diaryMellow.
So let's see if I can do any better this timeBigGrin

At the moment I am waiting for the back issues to arrive. Many thanks to those of you who offered thier extra issues.

Firstly I have now sorted the webcam click here to see it Dedworth Dog's webcam It's not active for 24/7 but it will give you up to date pictures of my build(s). You never know you might even catch me at workLaugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Cool Laugh

General opion was that I should continue with this diary and I must agree. So once again watch this space.

Throughout the build I plan to follow the instruction, though I didn't start off that plan too well, what I mean is that I will not be doing any added extras like trying to make it look authentic. (That doesn't sound right)by deviating from the instructions. good luck to those who can but at this stage I think that my lack off skills will make the model look as HMS Victory did 15 minutes after the great battle (Can't spell trafalgar)Laugh