Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Painting Hummer body work Options
oldsid
#1 Posted : 23 June 2016 23:07:58

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Which is better... paint the parts before assembly, or put it together and then paint it?
michu
#2 Posted : 23 June 2016 23:18:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I think it makes sense to build then paint (before you add any external details). Otherwise you'd have to do a lot of masking or paint removing in places where you apply glue. It's important to make the body strong and durable, paint will only make it more difficult.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
oldsid
#3 Posted : 24 June 2016 02:26:09

Thanks, I wondered about that. Since I hate sanding and having to remove paint from glue surfaces would be the pits. Sl I think I will go ahead and assemble than worry about paint.
kenjara
#4 Posted : 28 June 2016 12:30:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

If you are indenting on varnishing your model then make sure you either do this before adding any clear parts or mask them up otherwise they will go foggy.
Finished 3D Printer, RB7, Hummer, Skyrider drone & Combat tank collection

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
oldsid
#5 Posted : 28 June 2016 13:54:41

I am going to attempt (I'll say again) attempt to use water transfer paint to apply camouflage finish to it. Will be my first try so it it doesn't come out the greatest, no harm no foul. It's going to be my fun toy, not planning on winning any contests.
Spal
#6 Posted : 01 July 2016 14:08:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hope it goes well Sid, be nice to see a pic of the results.

Al
oldsid
#7 Posted : 01 July 2016 14:22:25

I thought our laundry tub would be big enough to dip the Hummer but it isn't so I am just going to paint it. I will save the kit for later maybe build another one and dip the parts before I put them together.
Spal
#8 Posted : 01 July 2016 20:26:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Yes it's quite a large body shell when fitted together.

Al
Gandale
#9 Posted : 01 July 2016 22:55:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Look forward to seeing how the water transfer painting turns out, would be great to see pics of the process you are adopting, would be a nice interesting tutorial for others to follow.... Good luck with it....

Regards

Alan