Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Printer missing first part of print Options
kenjara
#1 Posted : 28 June 2016 22:53:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I want to share a configuration change I have made on the idbox which has sorted my only real issue I have encountered so far.

What I was finding is after the printer has reached its temperature and it starts to print, for a little while nothing would come out. The result of this is my printer would miss some of the start of the model. Usually this would just be a part of the structure to hold it in place and the model would print ok but sometimes it would affect the print and potentially cause it to fail.

I found a setting whilst on the train to work this morning which when I tried it this evening it worked a treat.

What I have done is increased the amount of times it skirts around the model before starting on the model itself. This means at worst I miss part of the skirt and the model is unaffected.

To change this setting go to Configure -> print settings -> skit and brim -> loops.

I increased loops to 3 and now it is always putting down filament before starting on the model.

I am using my mac at the moment so the screenshot is from Mac OS, if anyone is having trouble finding the same setting on windows let me know and I will set it up and take a look.

P.S. I was so tempted to call this post "Skirting around the issue".

Finished 3D Printer, RB7, Hummer, Skyrider drone & Combat tank collection

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
AgentReverie
#2 Posted : 25 July 2016 21:54:24

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for this. I am on a Mac so this tip will help a lot when I finally get around to printing.
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 25 July 2016 21:58:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Nice tip, thanks for sharing it and the screen shot.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

kenjara
#4 Posted : 26 July 2016 08:36:20

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Once you have the printer up and running you will quickly learn that its all about how the first layer of the print sticks.

If the first layer is good you can usually be confident that the rest will be fine (very important for long print runs).

I usually watch the first layer very carefully as sometimes bits may stick together or some stray filament will get caught up and join with the part it its printing. These kind of things as quite common as when the printer first starts it takes a little while for the extrusion to become consistent.

This is where the extra loops help.

You may occasionally still get some bits that do not stick properly and start to cause havok. You can remove these if you are quick with something like a pair of tweezers. Otherwise filament will start balling around the nozzles and it will force you to cancel the print.

The other thing I found is that it does not always matter if a small part of the first layer support structure is missing. This will depend on the model but in in the case of a small part not sticking I watch the next layer. If it looks fine then I let it carry on. For example this happened on my WW1 tank in my prints thread and had not real effect on the outcome of the model.

This is not specific to idbox but to all the 3D printers of the same type so you can see a lot of people discussing similar points around the internet.
Finished 3D Printer, RB7, Hummer, Skyrider drone & Combat tank collection

http://www.model-space.com/gb/