Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Colors Options
Wingsta
#1 Posted : 29 June 2016 05:42:34

Groups: Registered

Howdy all

I have decided to paint my base now and bought the paints listed in issue 48. I have a couple of questions in regards to the panel colors.

1) It says spray neutral grey for the grey squares, do you just add some white for the lighter grey areas and mix by eye?
2) The red squares it says to spray rusty red over the grey. Is rusty red the red brown XF-64 or a mix of XF-64 and XF-7 Flat Red?
3) Steve says in the instruction videos that the colors vary if you looking at printed photos or photos on your computer screen so is there a mix of the colors you are going to let us know or are we to guess?

darbyvet
#2 Posted : 30 June 2016 14:43:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

1) It says spray neutral grey for the grey squares, do you just add some white for the lighter grey areas and mix by eye?

Thats what I do.That way you can make the panels slightly different shades of grey.It looks more realistic if you vary the color from panel to panel a bit rather than having a uniform shade.

2) The red squares it says to spray rusty red over the grey. Is rusty red the red brown XF-64 or a mix of XF-64 and XF-7 Flat Red?

The red-brown is quite dark so I would add a bit of flat red to brighten it up.Again I would vary the amount of red added from panel to panel.You could also make up a very dilute mix of red and slightly airbrush that over the red-brown to act as a filter.It will give you a subtle red tinge to the panel.

Here is the list of paints recommended by Model Space.

http://forum.us.model-sp...amp;m=197601#post197601

3) Steve says in the instruction videos that the colors vary if you looking at printed photos or photos on your computer screen so is there a mix of the colors you are going to let us know or are we to guess?

I think the point is no one knows for sure exactly all of the paints used in the filming model.We do know that Floquil paints were used (Reefer white for the body) and these are no longer available so there will always be a slight difference fro the original. These filming models were made very quickly and they just mixed what they needed.Over the years the models have faded and they look different in different lighting set ups.So I think you could drive yourself crazy trying to find an exact match and that match may vary from picture to picture.

If you post on some of the studio scale modeling forums about the color of the falcon usually you get lots of groans and sighs because it has been debated to death (ask me how I know).

So I think what Steve was saying in the video is do your own thing and paint it the color that looks good to you.For an authentic look varying the shade of the panels is a good idea and because the model is pretty heavily weathered the final color of the panel will change anyway.If you think a panel is too dark either spray a very dilute lighter color over it to act as a filter.If it is too light when you add weathering to it you will see it turn a bit darker anyway.

Carl

Wingsta
#3 Posted : 01 July 2016 08:33:55

darbyvet wrote:

Thats what I do.That way you can make the panels slightly different shades of grey.It looks more realistic if you vary the color from panel to panel a bit rather than having a uniform shade.

The red-brown is quite dark so I would add a bit of flat red to brighten it up.Again I would vary the amount of red added from panel to panel.You could also make up a very dilute mix of red and slightly airbrush that over the red-brown to act as a filter.It will give you a subtle red tinge to the panel.

Here is the list of paints recommended by Model Space.

http://forum.us.model-sp...amp;m=197601#post197601

I think the point is no one knows for sure exactly all of the paints used in the filming model.We do know that Floquil paints were used (Reefer white for the body) and these are no longer available so there will always be a slight difference fro the original. These filming models were made very quickly and they just mixed what they needed.Over the years the models have faded and they look different in different lighting set ups.So I think you could drive yourself crazy trying to find an exact match and that match may vary from picture to picture.

If you post on some of the studio scale modeling forums about the color of the falcon usually you get lots of groans and sighs because it has been debated to death (ask me how I know).

So I think what Steve was saying in the video is do your own thing and paint it the color that looks good to you.For an authentic look varying the shade of the panels is a good idea and because the model is pretty heavily weathered the final color of the panel will change anyway.If you think a panel is too dark either spray a very dilute lighter color over it to act as a filter.If it is too light when you add weathering to it you will see it turn a bit darker anyway.

Carl

Thanks Carl that was really helpful can't wait to start painting my base tomorrow :), thanks for taking the time to respond I appreciate it
darbyvet
#4 Posted : 01 July 2016 14:27:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

No worries.

The other suggestion I have is to get a cheap falcon kit and use it to test your colors on first.It will avoid you having to repaint the big falcon if it doesnt look right once dry.

Carl